ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 01-20-11, 09:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

liveandletdie is on a distinguished road
Concerta Vs Ritalin Side effects

Well it's not really an efficiency question but rather a side effect question...

Does anyone find they get fewer side effects with concerta as opposed to generic ritalin? I've been on ritalin before and I got really bad side effects. Then I went on dexedrine generic and tablets which were bad side effects as well and then I went onto name brand adderall which had way fewer side effects but kept me up at night.

Is there the same thing with methylphenidate? Does name brand methylphenidate have fewer side effects? (Concerta has no generic)

I am thinking of trying methylphenidate again but with concerta. Anyone have expereince with both?
Old 01-20-11, 11:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Concerta Vs Ritalin Side effects

It depends mostly on what the manufacturer is of the generic Ritalin.

I take Watson generic Ritalin 3 times a day and I don't have any side effects from it.

Sandoz and Mallinckodt(Methylin) generic Ritalin gave me the most side effects.

Concerta is just really expensive long acting Ritalin.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 01-21-11, 02:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
It depends mostly on what the manufacturer is of the generic Ritalin.

I take Watson generic Ritalin 3 times a day and I don't have any side effects from it.

Sandoz and Mallinckodt(Methylin) generic Ritalin gave me the most side effects.

Concerta is just really expensive long acting Ritalin.
well it's on my pharmacy's list- would be only $20 as that is the maximum they charge per/prescription. (months supply

would the concerta be the same as watson? Who is it made by? going to go look it up I suppose.

I agree boycott barr/teva- i hate them.
The Following User Says Thank You to liveandletdie For This Useful Post:
StoicNate (01-26-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-11, 03:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

insurance* not pharmacy
Old 01-23-11, 08:33 PM

Ihaveanafro96 is on a distinguished road

I was prescribed to concerta not too long ago and while on it I had an energy drink "jolt" and I huperventiated
Old 01-26-11, 01:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

Arwen is on a distinguished road

I can only answer half your question but here goes...

Ritalin (brand name, never tried generic) in my opinion was slightly more effective than Concerta. However I was getting serious "coming down" effects from Ritalin- like feeling that the world was closing in, and a deep depression bordering on suicidality as the last dose wore off for the day. I was not in a good space at all for 2-3 hours each evening. I took that for about 2 weeks and because it was too risky to continue feeling that way I switched to Concerta.

With Concerta initially I didn't feel much, and even boring... but once it was titrated to a reasonable dose I felt calm, less impulsive, less distractable, hyper etc... but one thing I didn't get was focus.

I then tried Dexamphetamine which was amazing for focus but less effective for the rest, however that gave me bad irritability re-bound side effects. Anyway I digress...

What I'm trying to say is that I think each medication is suited to each individual differently, and it's up to you to decide which is the most appropriate.
Old 01-26-11, 01:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Bezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to all

For what it's worth, they're both methylphenidate. In fact, all of it - Concerta and Ritalin, whether brand name or generic - is methylphenidate (a mixture of dextro- and levo-methylphenidate, to be precise).

Writer and general kook with ADHD, OCD, TS, depression, and monkey arms. I regularly blog about those things. I also write other fun stuff.
Old 01-26-11, 09:37 AM

moondancer is on a distinguished road

I take Ritalin, and when it wears off, I suffer with severe anxiety, and depression, I have to split my pills in half and take it more frequently during the day because it doesn't last more than 1 1/2 hours on me. The Concerta gave me palpitations and a panic attack only a half hour after taking it so that didn't work. I do not like at all the feeling when the Ritalin wears off, but I do find it effective when it works, even though a short period of time.
Old 01-26-11, 11:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

this is all pretty true. Concerta works but I wouldn't say the peaks are effective enough as where most people need to be, thats why you can and many people do need to increase the dose substantially for adults and take ritalin boosters with concerta. An option if this is difficult is focalin xr , overall I do believe that based on timing and effect that ritalin ir or focalin xr is probably more of a balanced effect coming on stronger and faster and treating symptoms better . The thing with concerta is really that it will give you a better overall ( better extended coverage for the full day) which is important. I honestly think that taking a better or stronger dose of focalin xr more frequently or taking more ritalin is a better idea than concerta. Also regarding anxiety that you stated, I believe anxiety is pretty common with adhd but its different than regular anxiety. You will ponder on anything the mind can grasp because the cognition is not there so your basically in a land of made up anxiety because your mind is all over the place. Taking wellbutrin may help with this in combo with the stims. I personally do not recommend any ssri's as they counter most issues that adhd drugs help with and many times leave you de motivated and feeling drunk in a classic adhd case. I recommend taking more ritalin ir more often and talking with your doctor or trying wellbutrin as a add on to augment the effect and provide a longer base for coverage.
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
moondancer (01-26-11)