ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 01-22-11, 01:27 PM

MountainMom is on a distinguished road
What does your house look like?

This was inspired by the handbag thread. I am curious if other ladies would be willing to share what the inside of their houses look like. If some of you have found a system of keeping things tidy would you be willing to share?

The inside of my house is chaos. I have toys all over my living room. My kids disrobe in the living room and leave their clothes there. Because I have so far been unable to be consistent in parenting, I am the one who ends up cleaning up the toys and clothes 90% of the time.

My kitchen sometimes has dishes piled in the sink until it annoys me enough to wash them all. I have gotten much better about keeping them done though. I am terrible about mopping floors.

My bedroom looks like a hurricane went through it because I spend so much time trying to keep the rest of the house clean that I never seem to get around to cleaning my own space. :sigh:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MountainMom For This Useful Post:
Buffie1313 (06-18-12), IhazCHAOS (02-20-11), Joker_Girl (01-22-11), OvertheRainbow (07-20-12), rumandraisins (07-12-11)
Old 01-22-11, 02:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
Re: What does your house look like?

My house is in a state of controlled chaos. When it needs to be cleaned up it is, but if it were up to me i would just leave it as it is.

If I id not have such low self esteem I would prob leave the house as is!
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 01-22-11, 03:00 PM
Contributor

DanaDane is a jewel in the roughDanaDane is a jewel in the roughDanaDane is a jewel in the rough

Actually my house is neat most of the time. I have trouble releaxing if my home is a big mess. When I come home from work I always have to clean and tidy up before I can sit down a have my coffee. My problem around the house is getting really settled. Evry place I have lived I on my own I have never finished hanging up lamps, pictures ect. I never seem to be able to decide where to put things, and can't get my act together to finish

Adult female.
ADHD. Diagnosed twice in 2011.
Meds: Strattera.
GAD (depression)
Meds: Venlafaxin, Lyrica.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-11, 03:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,111 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

My house looks awful. It is not dirty like gross and stinky, but it is cluttered badly. It causes me a lot of stress to look at it so I will try to clean it, but i never can maintain it.

Part of it is because it is hard to get anyone to pitch in and help, and they are awful slobs.

I hate to have anyone over and am ashamed of it. I do not like it when someone just drops by unannounced. My in-laws stopped in one day and I had to move piles of clothes so there was a place to sit.

So embarrassing. It actually was ALOT better when I lived alone, clutter-wise.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joker_Girl For This Useful Post:
Buffie1313 (06-18-12), faye64 (07-21-12), IhazCHAOS (02-20-11), rumandraisins (07-12-11)
Old 01-22-11, 03:14 PM

Dana, I so hear you there! I cannot seem to find a home for my things. My kitchen cabinets are so chaotic.

The place I am living at right now is about the size of a shoe box and doesn't even have a linen closet. That makes it so hard for me to organize everything.
Old 01-23-11, 04:09 AM

WilmaW. will become famous soon enough

I cannot find anything if things are at their own places. I looking for them everywhere except from place where their should be... Nobody really understand this but what looks like messy for others is in order for me
The Following User Says Thank You to WilmaW. For This Useful Post:
faye64 (07-21-12)
Old 01-23-11, 03:36 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

My house is very cluttered with stuff.It isn't dirty just controlled chaos.I can't work up enough energy to even care.Thank goodness I have a very neat husband who is retired & he keeps after the clutter.I say more power to him there is nothing that says it has to be the woman who does all the cleaning!

buddy
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy For This Useful Post:
brieannabanana (05-10-12)
Old 01-28-11, 04:11 PM

midlandsadder is on a distinguished road

My house was terrible - the rooms that people come into were usually just about presentable e.g. there were empty seats, the kitchen counters had been wiped but that was about it. But I've started some coaching which has finally got me taking the Flylady system seriously and I'm pleased to report that things are on the up! All of the upstairs rooms are presentable to guests. Our dining room is still cluttered but I'm getting some new furniture soon (which I've been meaning to sort out for quite some time) and that will sort it out.

I just hope that now I'm nearly there I can do the final little bit and then sustain it! I don't want everything to go downhill again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midlandsadder For This Useful Post:
faye64 (07-21-12), rumandraisins (07-12-11)
Old 01-28-11, 04:35 PM

Thanked 23,940 Times in 11,078 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Our house has a well-lived in look. Not really dirty, at least not usually, but I'd like it to be a little neater.

MountainMom, how old are you kids? It's been a real struggle to get my oldest granddaughter to take her dirty clothes and socks to her room, but she's doing much better since her mom agreed to have her take meds. But boy-oh-boy do they still go around about the mess in the kid's room.

The little one has been pretty good about taking her dirty clothes and putting them into her laundry basket, sometimes I have to remind her but usually only once instead of time after time like with her big sister.

They're my grandkids, the oldest is going to 13 in a couple of weeks, severe ADHD. The youngest is 9 and has high functioning Autism. Both of 'em are wearing shoes about the same size as their mom's (my daughter) so I never know for sure who to holler at to come and pick up the shoes or boots in the living room.

My daughter bought a dishwasher a couple of years ago because she hates to wash dishes but I'm still the one who loads and unloads the thing. And I generally check all the bedrooms and the living room for stray glasses, cups and bowls before I start a load.

At least I don't have to do landry for everyone, just for me and the little one, the others do their own.

My daughter keeps making noises about how nice it would be to see the top of the dining table and actually use it, but everything piled on it is her stuff.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 01-28-11, 08:06 PM

My boys are 5 and 10. My oldest has ADD and we believe possible Bi-Polar. My youngest goes for ADHD testing on February 10th. I am not sure I want to medicate him at this point but some direction on how to get him to better cooperate with me would be really nice.

It is funny that you mention the top of your table. My dining room table is covered by my oldest son's stuff. I clean it up and he piles it up again! It drives me NUTS!!

Last edited by MountainMom; 01-28-11 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Add information
Old 01-28-11, 11:59 PM

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I keep trying and trying to get the place clean and keep it that way......sigh.....but it always sseems to end up ....all horizontal surfaces....( including the floor ) end up with piles on them .......

most of my problem at this time though is lack of space .....when you have more stuff than room for it, you're gonna have a problem......

and since I don't pay any rent, ( or rather I do with my furniture re-finishing labors) I am hesitant to look for another lving situation ....my roommate and I get a long pretty well, and once I started doing the re-finishing for him, he shows me a lot more respect than he used to .......

....but I still end up with piles of stuff.....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
IhazCHAOS (02-20-11), rumandraisins (07-12-11)
Old 01-30-11, 02:30 AM
Forum Guru

ArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really nice

My house looks great....just don't go into my bedroom or Mt.Laundry may crumble. I have laundry from hell. If my husband doesn't do it, it doesn't get done.
I'm not sure why, I just HATE doing laundry.
Old 01-30-11, 03:31 AM
Jr Member

Nikki_89 is on a distinguished road

Lets see....it will get cleaned and as soon as I get back from work it is destroyed!You can always tell where I have been I leave a trail of things where ever I go.Books piled every where,mail opened up and left in random places,lighters and empty cigarette boxes everywhere.Clothes all over the place Ill try something on and take it off in the living room or dinning room and ill throw it where ever,better yet my work clothes are on the floor in the bathroom and thats where it will stay(not that I mean to be messy I just forget I leave things laying around untill the place is a mess).
Old 01-30-11, 04:21 PM

Babyanne has a spectacular aura aboutBabyanne has a spectacular aura about

My house is a mess and if anyone came over right now I would be mortified. Problem is that I'm not the only one here. There is my Husband, Mother, and two sons (3.5 and 8). I tried FlyLady a few years ago but couldn't come to terms with the fact that I had to do it all and keep it all up.

My husband comes from a 50's style home where his mother did everything, my mother is just like me and can't find the motivation to just clean and well the boys follow the leaders on this and don't tidy up either. All this changes when I loose my mind on a Sunday evening and scream and yell and then everyone runs around like little ants tidying up. Not a healthy way to get buy in. I have tried everything from Cleaning days where everyone pitches in for a set period of time, to getting everything perfect and asking for everyone to help keep it that way but to no avail.

FlyLady is great but only if you live alone or want to take on all of the cleaning in your house.

"My symptoms aren't different than yours I just have them more often"
The Following User Says Thank You to Babyanne For This Useful Post:
veraud (08-09-12)
Old 01-30-11, 04:27 PM

midlandsadder is on a distinguished road

I have to say that after many years of trying I'm finally manage to implement Flylady's system and it really works! It is changing my life and I really hope to keep up with it. There are bits of it I have modified to suit myself and my family (e.g. my husband still does all the laundry as I just can't cope with it) but overall it is a great framework.

Also I've started using some of her podcasts on my iPhone to keep me motivated e.g. the crisis cleaning and weekly home blessing ones.

I would really recommend giving Flylady a go, accepting that it means you will do it all yourself, and once you have a handle on everything you'll find it much easier to delegate chores. Also you may find that everyone else is inspired by the tidy and clean house to keep it that way! I know it's not right for you to have to do everything but you'll feel so good for it if you're anything like me.