ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 01-22-11, 03:20 PM

Microwench is on a distinguished road
How long does Vyvanse last for you?

Hi all!
I've been taking Vyvanse for a month now, 30 mg at first, just startd 40 mg today. It seems to me that the benefits wear off after 5-7 hours. I am definitely not getting the full 12 hours that it claims.

How long does it seem to last for you? I am curious to see what the consensus will be (ADD curiosity, LOVE it!)
Old 01-22-11, 09:06 PM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about
Re: How long does Vyvanse last for you?

Hi,
Taken all at once, about 7 hrs. If I split the doseage in half and take half in am and the rest late afternoon, I get all day coverage.
Remember, sleep, exercise, and eat regular.
Good luck, Ken
Old 01-22-11, 11:41 PM
Contributor

Hoshi has a spectacular aura aboutHoshi has a spectacular aura about

About 5-6hrs for me.
Old 01-26-11, 12:40 AM

abooth3 is a jewel in the roughabooth3 is a jewel in the roughabooth3 is a jewel in the rough

It's not like Adderall and others for me because it doesn't "last" a certain amount of time, it peaks in about an hour and a half, then slowly dies over the next few hours. I can never really tell when it's "done," but probably 6-7 at most. I get an IR booster to take in the PM when it wears off (if I need to study), which is also helpful if you wake up at 4pm on a Saturday and need to study or something, but don't want to take your Vyvanse and be semi-wired all evening--wired in that you can't sleep, not in that the medication is being effective. It can keep me from sleeping for 12 hours, but it never WORKS that long. Depends on the person and the dose, though, but I hope that helps.
Old 01-26-11, 09:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

happierin09 has disabled reputation

I really don't feel it kick in or die off. I just know I have more energy during the day and sleep way better at night. I'd say though, based on my energy level, 10-12 hours.

Old 01-27-11, 06:22 PM

ADDBenMoolder is on a distinguished road

For someone on 40 mg for a year now, I agree strongly with the following statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microwench View Post
I am definitely not getting the full 12 hours that it claims.
7-8 hours is generally what I see. After that it is pretty much completely faded.

What's either a blessing or a curse about Vyvanse is that there is no sudden dropoff like the one you get from Adderall or Ritalin, so you don't notice it until you find yourself less focused. Some people prefer knowing when it's worn off, but I felt it was too sudden and too severe a drop. For years, I would feel slightly anxious and depressed for no explainable reason at 5 p.m. while on those other medications - until I realized it's the drug wearing off and my neuro-receptors being shocked into deprivation. My doctor confirmed this was a common side effect of those meds.

With Vyvanse, I like it this way. I prefer not knowing the exact hour I'm done... to me it's kind of like not knowing the hour of your death... you just keep going until it's obvious you can't anymore....
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDBenMoolder For This Useful Post:
happierin09 (01-27-11)
Old 02-06-11, 05:57 PM

kianaaaaa is on a distinguished road

Vyvanse's effects, including the crash and the insomnia after the crash, last a really long time for me. The positive effects only last for a couple of hours, but everything combined lasts like 14 hours for me, so I try to make myself wake up really early to take it. I'm somewhat new to the drug, so I'm not expert, but that's just my experience so far.
Old 02-14-11, 10:32 PM

ktmcg is on a distinguished road

I'm still new to vyvanse, but so far it's been pretty consistant - I take it at 6:30am and it wears off around 12-1pm. Not sure when it kicks in, though - too mild to tell.
Old 02-14-11, 11:49 PM
Contributor

toothpick has a spectacular aura abouttoothpick has a spectacular aura about

dont see what you mean i must be one of the lucky ones as it lasts me more then 12 strangely, then again i take a few day breaks dont know could be alot of things but acidic things definately affect it and i avoid them like the plague (heh im saying this as i drink ice tea mix in water obviously)
Old 02-18-11, 05:59 PM

davoidone is on a distinguished road

I am prescribed 70mg of Vyvanse. I have been taking it for over 6 months and I have to say for me personally it seems to last 5-6 hours at best. I have asked on several occasions about the possibility of getting a booster and have been told, "I do not think we will do that at this time" to totally ignoring the subject. This is not something I think I would need daily. I would want the booster for the days when there is a lot to do and the focus is a must. I work in a very detailed, stressful, deadline oriented world of IT and a booster on some days would be great. Will either wait and see or endlessly be frustrated and double, triple checking my work as I lose focus after 5-6 hours after onset.
Old 02-28-11, 02:55 PM

aces is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I take 70 mg of vyvanse daily mon-fri. It lasts about 5-6 for my focus, but the energy i get lasts till about 7-8 hours. I will feel awake when I try to sleep if I take it late in the day, so the insomnia part will be there from the 11-12 hour mark.

Davoidone, my psych also will not perscribe me any instant-release booster, because she flat out said she does not perscribe any IR meds bc it is highly abusable. I wish I could try dexdrine.
Old 03-01-11, 08:50 PM

dmlaugh3r is on a distinguished road

Vyvanse always lasts 8 hours or more for me when I take 30mg and above.
Anatole France
Old 03-03-11, 01:13 AM

jcargile is on a distinguished road

For me it was lasting too long. I would take my 50mg first thing in the morning and find that I was unable to sleep at 3am. It never really gave me the effect I needed either, just made me slightly more alert and made my extremities very very cold. Dextroamphetamine IR 30mg once a day first thing in the morning ended up being the ticket for me, but your mileage may vary.
Old 03-10-11, 04:58 PM

robobrain is on a distinguished road

I think some effects last longer than others for me. The initial "high" where I'm really chatty and hyper focused, lasts about 3 or 4 hours. There seems to be an underling kind of reduction in fidgeting and impusivity that lasts like 7 hours, which is fine because I don't really care after classes are over. And lastly there's the insomnia for me that can last like 14 or 16 hours, but I think that's really just me.
Old 03-10-11, 05:28 PM

Kimmy1989 is on a distinguished road

NOT LONG ENOUGH. I take my dose(50mg) at 630am and it wears off my 1pm-2pm. And don't forget it takes about an hour to an hour and a half for my body to activate it.