ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-25-11, 02:51 PM

Pocahontas is on a distinguished road
Making Adderall More Effective

Can someone please direct me to a post that will tell me which vitamins and supplements that will help increase the effectiveness of the Adderall?

I specifically need something that will increase my cognitive ability as I am studying for the bar exam.

Should I take L-tyrosine? B vitamins, if so, which ones? L-Theanine? Methylcobalamin?

I'm already taking fish oil, zinc, and magnesium, but don't know if I should take these at night as I take Adderall XR 5 mg every morning.
Old 01-26-11, 09:57 AM

kassem23 is on a distinguished road
Re: Making Adderall More Effective

You shouldn't supplement with anything, to increase its effectiveness. If it not effective, try a bigger dosage, 5 mg Adderall, XR, is insanely little.

I think you'll do a lot better on either 20 mg XR, or 2 x 10 mg IR.

Ask your doctor if it is not working for you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kassem23 For This Useful Post:
hopehope (02-01-11), Jester (01-26-11), phEight (01-26-11)
Old 01-26-11, 10:05 AM
Forum Guru

ArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really nice

Coffee?

I wouldn't add any of the amino acid supplements - especially L-Tyrosine if you are taking Adderall (or any psychotropic drug).

5mg is a low dose. I would talk to your DR about increasing it. 10mg would probably be much better.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtGypsy For This Useful Post:
Jester (01-26-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-11, 11:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,751 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

I used to take Adderall. I now take Dexedrine and for me the most effective means of potentiating it is to eat PROTEIN POWDER

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
Jester (01-26-11), nomannomad (01-26-11)
Old 01-26-11, 07:47 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassem23 View Post
You shouldn't supplement with anything, to increase its effectiveness. If it not effective, try a bigger dosage, 5 mg Adderall, XR, is insanely little.

I think you'll do a lot better on either 20 mg XR, or 2 x 10 mg IR.

Ask your doctor if it is not working for you.
This.

To the OP. Finding ways to potentiate your medicine is a drug addict's occupation. We assume you're a serious person and you don't have time for that crap so an increase in dosage is the best alternative. Potentiation goes under improper drug use because you can make your Adderall dangerously ''efficient'' without knowing it. Having a dosage allows medical staff to have a reference point.

But just for your info, drug addicts use the following to potentiate an Adderall high:

- Sodium bicarbonate
- memantine
- l-Tyrosine
- antacids (all brands)

If you start doing this, after a month or 2 you won't feel anything unless you take all the potentiation arsenal and instead of taking one drug, you end up needing 5. Bad idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:
nomannomad (01-28-11)
Old 01-26-11, 09:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

phEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This.

To the OP. Finding ways to potentiate your medicine is a drug addict's occupation. We assume you're a serious person and you don't have time for that crap so an increase in dosage is the best alternative. Potentiation goes under improper drug use because you can make your Adderall dangerously ''efficient'' without knowing it. Having a dosage allows medical staff to have a reference point.

But just for your info, drug addicts use the following to potentiate an Adderall high:

- Sodium bicarbonate
- memantine
- l-Tyrosine
- antacids (all brands)

If you start doing this, after a month or 2 you won't feel anything unless you take all the potentiation arsenal and instead of taking one drug, you end up needing 5. Bad idea.
Good to have a cautious mind around. I think it's worth picking apart the things drug addicts use to potentiate Adderall versus what can be used therapeutically. I appreciate cautiousness, but not generalizations. I also don't favor your methods of emotionally instilling guilt to the substances you listed. It is a form of manipulation... much more prudent to assess the facts and give proper information to allow for someone to make a proper, not a guilt-induced decision.

Sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda (why separated from antacids?). Allows your urine to become less acidic and so Adderall is metabolized more slowly, and people also often report it works better. One could argue using baking soda or TUMS or whatever antacid you want is on the same playing field as avoiding a meal around the time of dosing in order to make it more effective. The only problem with that is, these antacids will further increase tolerance. The body won't adapt to increased absorption and longer excretion rate of Adderall but your brain will. You will be back to square one and perhaps a few squares in the negative, so I don't recommend this. A good measure to make sure Adderall is better absorbed is to take it on an empty stomach. This can have a drastic change in efficacy.

It's news to me people use L-tyrosine to potentiate Adderall. L-tyrosine (common in meat if I remember right) is an amino acid that gets converted to dopamine. Most reports say to avoid that combination because for many people it increases unwanted side-effects of Adderall like anxiety. Even if L-tyrosine did potentiate Adderall, it would be ignorant to list L-tyrosine under the umbrella of drug addicts. L-tyrosine can help tremendously on days where Adderall is NOT being used. As mentioned, it is a precursor to dopamine. It would not be wise to overuse L-tyrosine or to take large amounts (i.e > 1-2g at a time, 500mg is sufficient for many too) because the enzyme that plays a role in converting L-tyrosine to ultimately dopamine will gain a sort of tolerance (down regulate in unnecessarily detailed terminology) and this will also render L-tyrosine ineffective in the long run. It is one of the supplements I try to keep a bottle of because on the days I do not take Adderall it helps a bit. L-tyrosine has also proven effective for many people with depression in doses of around 2g. Please don't put this useful amino acid under the label of drug addicts, that can mislead people about a potentially useful and relatively harmless substance.

Memantine. There is much information about this highly useful substance. Plenty of articles in the past few months / in the year 2010 indicated the potential for memantine to keep glutamatergic dysfunction at bay. It is worthy to note amphetamines increase glutamate in the brain, and ADHD along with anxiety and depression are implicated as some consequences of glutamatergic dysfunction. This is a prescription drug, so to the OP, you can educate yourself on this substance and bring it up with your doctor. The thread in the sticky section on top of the Adderall section is a place you can begin to learn about it. Jester, I mostly appreciated some of your posts in the memantine thread as it made me slightly more critical (not that I wasn't critical already) to assess what's known about it. I understand that just because something isn't proven yet doesn't mean it's not a valid consideration (i.e. ill effects of chronic memantine and amphetamine aren't proven). I view this as a sort of equilibrium... on one end you can be cautious to the point of tilting this unequilibrium significantly towards the potential negatives, on the other end you can be so careless in experimenting to think just because something isn't proven means it doesn't exist... and you be careless to the point of strongly tilting the equilibrium to the other end. Personally, I like to maintain an equilibrium of cautious and carelessness that tilts a bit more towards the cautious side. Some of your posts are tilting very heavily on the cautious side to the point of using emotionally manipulative arguments, and I believe that is a bit counterproductive.

5mg Adderall XR is insanely low. Before you start going down paths you need not go down I would listen to Jester's and kassem23's advice about drug doses.
"There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being." -Albert Einstein
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phEight For This Useful Post:
hanzsolo (06-06-11), Menna (03-31-11), Pocahontas (01-27-11), rift (02-01-11), ronball (04-05-11), tambourine-man (06-03-11)
Old 01-27-11, 12:51 AM

The last thing I need or want is to be "high." I just want to be super focused because I've been studying for extended periods of time (12 hours/day). I'm wondering if it is just the low dose or the excessive stress that has made me feel as if my medication has lost the impact it once had on me. I am waiting to hear back from my psychiatrist regarding increasing my dose. Thanks.
Old 01-27-11, 07:12 AM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
The last thing I need or want is to be "high." I just want to be super focused because I've been studying for extended periods of time (12 hours/day). I'm wondering if it is just the low dose or the excessive stress that has made me feel as if my medication has lost the impact it once had on me. I am waiting to hear back from my psychiatrist regarding increasing my dose. Thanks.
12 hours of study is fkn painful for everyone. Nobody can focus for 12 hours, ADD or not, I've seen girls cry their eyes out after only 9 hours because they couldn't take it anymore, and they were far from having ADD.

According to me you misjudge the levels of comfort associated with your activity. I am not against finding a study drug to alleviate the suffering, I've seen people use low doses of oxycontin to study all day, but you have to understand that studying for 12 hours and feeling ok means being doped on something really strong. In other words you're not treating your ADD anymore, you're getting an unfair advantage vs. others who do not have Adderall and have to study with a plain state of mind. Do it if you choose to but make sure nobody knows about this.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:
daveddd (01-27-11), fletcherface (01-30-11), Mignon (01-27-11), phEight (01-27-11), ronball (04-05-11), Tooraj (04-04-11)
Old 01-27-11, 11:31 AM

Thanked 7,155 Times in 3,641 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
12 hours of study is fkn painful for everyone. Nobody can focus for 12 hours, ADD or not, I've seen girls cry their eyes out after only 9 hours because they couldn't take it anymore, and they were far from having ADD.

According to me you misjudge the levels of comfort associated with your activity. I am not against finding a study drug to alleviate the suffering, I've seen people use low doses of oxycontin to study all day, but you have to understand that studying for 12 hours and feeling ok means being doped on something really strong. In other words you're not treating your ADD anymore, you're getting an unfair advantage vs. others who do not have Adderall and have to study with a plain state of mind. Do it if you choose to but make sure nobody knows about this.
it does seem a misconception that people without adhd can study painlessly for hours on end

read long and incredibly boring books for hours on end

and so forth
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
Jester (01-27-11)
Old 01-27-11, 03:13 PM

kgloverii will become famous soon enough

Occasionally, I add an energy drink. Like once a week when I need a kick in the pants. For insane studying, this might be your best bet.
Old 01-28-11, 02:41 AM

Quote:

I shouldn't let anybody know about what? That I have ADD and have to study for a ridiculously difficult exam that is tough for people without any type of physical or mental hardship. To say I have an "unfair advantage" is ridiculous and judgmental considering you are basing it on a single comment, the fact that I try to study 12 hours a day. It hardly ever works to the point where I can study that long, I just try to because I have so much material to remember in such a short amount of time.

I struggled through school without any kind of drugs in the past and had to study for many, many hours for just average grades. It was absolute hell because I would forget everything right after I read it. It wasn't for lack of trying and I'm certainly not on any drugs to get an "unfair advantage" because personally I HATE medication and would much rather do without them, but you know what, sometimes people need medication and there really isn't an alternative.

I'm not using it to make studying less painful. It sucks regardless of how long it is done. Studying for just an hour is painful. Without the Adderall, I am constantly walking around and unable to sit still. I'm new to this ADHD thing, I don't know how a medication is supposed to work. I came here for advice as I've only been taking this medication for one month, not to be criticized and told that I am doing something wrong by someone that has no idea about my situation or diagnosis.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pocahontas For This Useful Post:
deathbybread (04-01-11), den4 (01-28-11), hana9 (06-02-11), momof2boys777 (04-06-11), salleh (01-28-11)
Old 01-28-11, 03:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

den4 has disabled reputation

I'm on the same boat as you. Pretty much because I need to study for hours and Adderall wears off really fast now. I started at 10mg and have already increased between 30-40. I really dislike having to take this much as well. I felt better and less stressed when I took less and my studying was much more quicker. Now I feel because it wears off too fast, I don't study as quickly and procrastinate. Also my sleep is terrible with more mg's as it was not before.

The doctors talk about increasing. But I don't feel comfortable with that. I'm curious as to what vitamins to take as well. So far, I only have remembered taking Fish Oil vitamins to help from reading here. I don't remember whether before, during or after the MED though.
Old 01-28-11, 03:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

den4 has disabled reputation

Quote:

I agree with the first part you said. But since when is using Adderall to study better and doing well in school vs. People who study(and do NOT have ADD) become a competition? With the medication, the person with ADD is finally able to study the way a person without ADD could.

Speaking about this as some type of competition is immature. The person with ADD does not have an advantage but a disadvantage. The person who does not take a drug and doesn't suffer from ADD is the one with the advantage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to den4 For This Useful Post:
hana9 (06-02-11), Hoshi (01-28-11), Pocahontas (01-28-11)
Old 01-28-11, 06:27 AM

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,006 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

1. Increase your dose: 5mg XR is incredibly low.
  2. Take on an empty stomach
  3. Do 30 mins of aerobic exercise every morning before your dose
  4. Eat a balanced diet. Avoid refined sugars and process foods. Opt for a low-carb freshfood diet.
Mogz12 (01-28-11), Ms.Maddbord (04-01-11), nomannomad (01-28-11), Pocahontas (01-28-11), SaFyre (10-25-11), salleh (01-28-11), timaier (02-03-11)
Old 01-28-11, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
I shouldn't let anybody know about what? That I have ADD and have to study for a ridiculously difficult exam that is tough for people without any type of physical or mental hardship. To say I have an "unfair advantage" is ridiculous and judgmental considering you are basing it on a single comment, the fact that I try to study 12 hours a day. It hardly ever works to the point where I can study that long, I just try to because I have so much material to remember in such a short amount of time.
Talking about your ADD and the medicine you take is always a bad idea. It can only bring you trouble because of how misinformed people are.

Quote:

I struggled through school without any kind of drugs in the past and had to study for many, many hours for just average grades. It was absolute hell because I would forget everything right after I read it. It wasn't for lack of trying and I'm certainly not on any drugs to get an "unfair advantage" because personally I HATE medication and would much rather do without them, but you know what, sometimes people need medication and there really isn't an alternative.
First of all, if you need to study 12 hours a day you're doing something wrong. I don't know what you study but I have friends in robotics, law school and phD in science who barely study 6 hours a day. Whatever you try to get seems out of reach and you're forcing yourself with a strong stimulant to get it. It's your decision and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Second of all, you're not talking to misinformed persons. Here we ALL took adderall and we ALL used it to study. We know what normal is and what it is not. Adderal is supposed to help you focus for 7 hours weather or not you have an exam or just a regular day and that's it. Just like you, I felt the need to take more before exams, I doubled my dose and studying for 12 hours was like a walk in the park. That's not treating your ADD though, that's getting fkd up on dope. And like I said, for the sake of education, doing it 2 or 3 days a month to me it's fair game but if you do it 30 days per month you'll end up with serious health issues. If your doctor knew you study for 12 hours every day he would get you off the medication.

I'm a chemist, you can't mislead me lol. Not only you take an excessive dose of Adderall in order to focus for 12 hours in a row but you try to look for ways to potentiate that already huge dose. To me it's recreational usage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:
Mogz12 (01-28-11), WhatNow (06-04-11)