ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 08-12-04, 01:07 PM

cualexander81 is on a distinguished road
Is Strattera and Prozac a bad combination?

I've always suspected I had ADD all my life. Never lived up to potential in school, barely made it out of college, but I was never on any medication because my parents thought ADD was a cop out and not a real illness. So anyways, I am in my first year of my career as an accountant, which is not a good profession for someone like me, and I've been having loads of problems focusing at work. I went to a psychiatrist the other day and talked to him for about an hour. He put me on a combination of Strattera, Prozac, and Valium(for insomnia). Now I am able to focus a lot better, but my mood is really unstable sometimes. Something tells me that this is just a bad combination in general. I'm thinking I should just skip the Prozac all together. Any thoughts on this? The doctor said he usually prescripes Strattera and Prozac together, but I thought it was a bit odd myself.
Old 08-12-04, 04:29 PM

monnycue is on a distinguished road
Hi there!
I don't know whether or not your combination is bad, but I can tell you that I was pretty moody in the first few weeks with Strattera, and my emotional levels were higher. In other words, I didn't just get angry, I got furious. And then a little while later, I was fine again. I guess it was just my body getting used to the drug. I haven't noticed any problem with it in the last few months.

Everyone reacts differently to medications. But the side effects with Strattera, for me, went away after the first few weeks.

Monny
Old 08-12-04, 04:43 PM
Jr Member

goofyannie is on a distinguished road
Good thing I'm not alone!I just started straterra a week ago.First week 40mg and now 2nd week 80mg.My husband is getting all the heat.I get very angry,but i still try to control myself.My poor kids see me happy one moment and the next I'm getting mad at them.I hope I feel better soon.The Dr. said that if I feel no difference or its not working she will add zoloft or prozac o.r even paxil.Inever thought I would be on medication.If you still feel that its not right,talk your Dr. again,so you'll feel better.Hope you find the solution quick.
Old 02-20-13, 10:45 PM

Blue_E46 has a spectacular aura aboutBlue_E46 has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Re: Is Strattera and Prozac a bad combination?

Bad enough where my psychiatrist plans to start weening me of Fluoxetine (Prozac) when I reach a higher dose of Strattera.

I just started Strattera yesterday at 10mg for the first week then I'll be increasing to 18mg, 25mg, and finally 40mg; remaining at each dose for a week... I've been on 40mg of Fluoxetine for almost a decade and it looks like I'll start to be taken off it after I've completed my 18mg dosing of Strattera.

Google medication conflicts and you'll be directed to a few databases. Two of them that I looked at list the combination of Strattera and Prozac as a moderate risk.

Hope this helps