ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 02-09-11, 02:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

copperpenny is on a distinguished road
Can one mix/take both Strattera and Adderall?

I posted on the Adderall board but didn't get any replies.

I've been on Adderall (and Zoloft) but wanted to try Strattera. My p-doc gave me a week-long "trial" and I liked it but felt like it was something I could take in addition to Adderall (which I tried) but not a replacement for it.

But my p-doc says she would NOT prescribe me both Adderall and Strattera at the same time because she felt it was not a same combination (to take on the same day).

Is this a general stance?
Old 02-12-11, 01:50 PM
Jr Member

ester is on a distinguished road
Re: Can one mix/take both Strattera and Adderall?

My doc seems to be OK with it, I'm currently taking Strattera and Ritalin together.

Strattera has been great for me. It helps my sleep, it helps me be more patient while driving, it helps me manage my money better, it helps me keep an organizational system, and improves my motivation a lot. And it works all day and night. But on Strattera alone I still get distracted really easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to ester For This Useful Post:
aarondev (02-28-11)
Old 02-18-11, 01:02 PM
Contributor

jennyjay has a spectacular aura aboutjennyjay has a spectacular aura about

Since Strattera is not a stimulent, it is okay to take it as an adjunct therapy with Adderall. I have been on Adderall forever (it seems, since 1999) and just started Strattera. My psychiatrist did not have a problem with it when I suggested it. I started on 25mg a day for 7 days and now am taking 50 mg until I run out. The next RX he wrote is for the 60 mg once a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to jennyjay For This Useful Post:
aarondev (02-28-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-11, 12:55 AM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

Hey,

I don't know what the OP means by it 'not being a same combination'. I'm guessing you were after 'safe'?

I like the third poster's phrase of 'adjunct therapy'; its definitely appropriate here. My pdocs (I go see various since I value different opinions and want to just make sure with this stuff) are all fine with the combination. The two drugs work on similar neurotransmitters, although its worth noting that the experts don't quite know exactly how Strattera works. Its much newer but its still a mystery. We basically can only see the shadows(effects of medicine and shape it takes in our lives) created by the fire(the medicine itself) in most cases. But in this the shape of the flame isn't clear.

In any case, for myself I use the Adderall as a way of obliterating the drowsiness I get with the Strattera. Some try and take it at night. For me, I couldn't. Although I'd get tired if I took it in the morning, oddly I wouldn't if at night. And because Strattera's effects are undermined by caffeine, that isn't an option. Only exercise is an alternative, but unless I'm running inside of twenty minutes of taking it, the lids of my eyes start shutting.In any case, I will likely try to take an IR with the Strattera on a low dose soon just so that I don't affect tolerance issues, and why take more than necessary?

But I'd offer that you look into switching to Vyvanse. The reason I say this is that Adderall is very sensitive for many to Citric Acid. This is something that is present in virtually all foods (from Limes to Lettuce!), whereas Vyvanse is effectively the same thing but a different way of working so a. its much smoother in its effects and b. not effected by Citric Acid.

Remember that you can always switch Psychiatrists if you are wanting to go a certain direction and they aren't open to it. Your current one cannot share your information or history unless you sign a legal release with your new one. I'd only offer that her reluctance currently likely has more to do with Zoloft + Strattera, as both tend to increase your mood and she may be wary of all three meds causing a substance-induced mood episode, like hypomania or mania - not fun stuff! If this IS the reason why she's reluctant towards it, you may want to see if you could just switch from Zoloft to Strattera.

Overall, I'd honestly say Strattera on its own is insufficient. This is because that the focus it provides tends to be somewhat inconsistent throughout the day. It has helped me with providing a drive to 'get things done', with an impetus towards organisation, more social proclivities and ability, along with a much greater energy capacity to do things. An example of the last one (since energy isn't a very specific word) would be that I managed to move myself from one studio apartment to another inside of three hours up down one flight and up another three flights. Later, when I was temporarily off the medicine, this most certainly was not possible when assisting a friend with something similar.

Hope this wasn't too long. I was trying for helpful & comprehensive. But this thread also interested me, which hasn't happened on here for a while.
Old 03-19-11, 04:07 AM

baihall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ester View Post
My doc seems to be OK with it, I'm currently taking Strattera and Ritalin together.

Strattera has been great for me. It helps my sleep, it helps me be more patient while driving, it helps me manage my money better, it helps me keep an organizational system, and improves my motivation a lot. And it works all day and night. But on Strattera alone I still get distracted really easily.
I just moved to the area and am interested in finding a good psychiatrist to help me figure out how best to handle my recently diagnosed ADHD! I'm sort of reluctant to starting medications though. Anyway, if you wouldn't mind maybe giving me the name of your psychiatrist or a number, I would really appreciate it! You have no idea!

Last edited by APSJ; 03-30-11 at 07:26 AM..
Old 03-21-11, 08:38 AM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

baihall: it depends on insurance sir. Your coverages can totally differ based on your company. Unless you're willing to pay out of pocket.