ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-12-11, 04:21 PM

fatif is on a distinguished road
Question Adderall and weight loss.

Besides feeling great, less anxious, more sociable and able to concentrate easier, I'm kind of excited about Adderall because it may speed up my weight loss. I'm currently down 22.3lb, and I have 23.7 to go to get to my first goal weight.

I want to try exercising on Adderall, but I have a feeling I shouldn't be doing my 30 day shred just yet, so I might stick to biking leisurely. Anyway, my question is, I've only been on it for 4 days and I've already lost some weight- but is it water weight? It's only 3.7lb, but still, am I being silly and imagining things?

Do you guys think I could lose 5 more before the end of the month and my next check up? I actually need to lose the weight for health reasons. I got the first 22.3lb off through diet, exercise and calorie counting. I've just been maintaining for a while though.

As it is, I make sure to eat something for breakfast, then dinner. Sometimes I'll have a little something for lunch. I don't want to gain a bunch of weight back when I stop taking adderall/run out/whatever may happen, so I try to eat 2-3 times a day and I've always drank a lot of water.
Old 02-12-11, 05:14 PM

SuperFob will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall and weight loss.

You have to be careful with adderall and weight loss. Mainly because it can (for certain people) cause you to lose the weight way too quickly. You never want to lose weight too quickly, because speedy weight loss leads to you losing muscle mass and bone mass, as opposed to just losing fat and water weight.

If you're losing 3.7 pounds over just 4 days, then that's way too fast. I would try either eating more or cutting down on the exercise to make sure you don't continue to lose weight at that speed.
Old 02-12-11, 05:21 PM

I'm currently not exercising, and I might not even start again for another couple months. I'm kind of nervous to, since I've had some heart palps and the 30 day shred is kind of intense. So I probably won't for a while, besides maybe some light weight lifting for my arms.

Food wise, I try to eat 2-3 times a day, but if in 2 weeks from now there's another 3+lb drop, I'll up my calories definitely. I don't want to make myself sick.

I agree that losing weight that fast isn't good. I would have a lot of excess skin if I lost too much weight too fast, and I'd be pretty ticked off. The reason I asked was to see if it was typical- I was on my period last week, so I figured maybe it was water weight. I WANT to tell myself it was the adderall but then I'm also telling myself it's only been 4 days, and only 10mg, so it's PROBABLY not even related. I'll see tomorrow when I check the scale. I doubt I'll start losing an alarming amount of weight, but a couple pounds every month wouldn't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-11, 05:25 PM

Quote:
a couple pounds every month wouldn't hurt.
Course not. A couple pounds a week probably wouldn't hurt either.

How much do you weigh, btw? Not asking to be nosy, I'm asking mainly because your weight will determine how quickly you can lose weight without having to worry about losing muscle and bone. The more you weigh, the more quickly you'll be able to lose weight without running into problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFob For This Useful Post:
CrazyLazyGal (02-15-11)
Old 02-12-11, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFob View Post
Course not. A couple pounds a week probably wouldn't hurt either.

How much do you weigh, btw? Not asking to be nosy, I'm asking mainly because your weight will determine how quickly you can lose weight without having to worry about losing muscle and bone. The more you weigh, the more quickly you'll be able to lose weight without running into problems.
Hmm could I PM that to you? Or should I just suck it up and post it here so others can comment, too?
Old 02-12-11, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatif View Post
Hmm could I PM that to you? Or should I just suck it up and post it here so others can comment, too?
Up to you. To be honest, I probably would've resorted to pming it to you if you asked me this question around a year ago.

If you choose to pm it to me btw, make sure to pm me your height as well, because that's also quite essential.
Old 02-13-11, 11:33 PM

babychewy is on a distinguished road

I lost a very significant amount of weight after the first 3 months. I had a new baby and I just did not have enough time to sharply focus on myself. I lost all of the weight I gained from being prego and an additional 40lbs. I have not lost any weight since then. My appetite is decreased, not gone thankfully! Having people around for meal times are important. For me, I felt alot of pressure to eat something because my mother in-law always made comments about how much I didn't eat. I wanted to avoid being put on blast. I felt that no one understood that if I ate more than a handful, my stomach physically felt like it would burst at the seams!
The Following User Says Thank You to babychewy For This Useful Post:
den4 (02-15-11)
Old 02-15-11, 03:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

den4 has disabled reputation

I believe you lost weight so quickly because you just started taking it and your metabolism is sped up. The weight loss will decrease within time, and so will the appetite decrease. Everyone is different though. However, if you lost, say, 20lbs in a month then go see your doctor.

I've lost weight as well. But nothing abnormally serious. No one in my daily life has really noticed. I know it's because I'm in shape now as I was 5mths prior when I used to work out more frequently. Which was going to happen anyway with the gym. (If you decide to work out in the future. As I do now, that also means more food intake and/or a protein shake.)

It does supress your appetite, so I think you have the right idea by still eating 3x and not skipping meals. Like you mentioned, and mostly everybody knows...if you starve, when you don't take it and eat normally, boom, your weight is going to come back on. (Many people still doesn't get this. I don't get why! i tell them)

The heart palpitations might go away later. I had that happen to me the first couple months and couldn't excercise and now I can. However, I get tired faster. Which I think ruins the work out. So lately I don't take it anymore before I work out. I'd say work out before you take it, or the days you are not going to. Feeling your heart race as well is scary, so I think you shouldn't excercise at this moment until it goes away. I stayed away from the gym when that was happening to me.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. But it would help to know your height & weight. Saying so on here might help someone out who has the same question.
Old 02-15-11, 04:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatif View Post
I'm currently not exercising, and I might not even start again for another couple months. I'm kind of nervous to, since I've had some heart palps and the 30 day shred is kind of intense. So I probably won't for a while, besides maybe some light weight lifting for my arms.

Food wise, I try to eat 2-3 times a day, but if in 2 weeks from now there's another 3+lb drop, I'll up my calories definitely. I don't want to make myself sick.

I agree that losing weight that fast isn't good. I would have a lot of excess skin if I lost too much weight too fast, and I'd be pretty ticked off. The reason I asked was to see if it was typical- I was on my period last week, so I figured maybe it was water weight. I WANT to tell myself it was the adderall but then I'm also telling myself it's only been 4 days, and only 10mg, so it's PROBABLY not even related. I'll see tomorrow when I check the scale. I doubt I'll start losing an alarming amount of weight, but a couple pounds every month wouldn't hurt.
I lost 25 lbs or so when I started Adderall without trying at all; then things evened out as my appetite reached an equilibrium (allowing me to eat but controlling the urge to have anything beyond normal meals).

But then I moved last fall (had been on Adderall for quite some time at that point) after I broke up with my BF, the driver in the family, and also became responsible for doing all the housework and walking my dog every time.

So...I'm now down about 35 lbs from where I was before the move. This is a much healthier weight loss, I think, than what came from hardly eating when I first started the Adderall.

And it hasn't been any effort at all. Walking isn't even exercise to me, it's just the way I get places and the way I take care of my dog's needs.

Point being that I think you're going to be better off eating three regular meals a day and finding a form of physical activity you can tolerate than trying to restrict calories.

Glad to hear you're drinking a lot of water -that's always a good idea and it actually helps your body flush out the toxins stored in your fat cells. A documentary I watched recently said that if you don't drink a lot of water when you're losing weight those toxins come out through your skin instead of through your gut -not a real appealing thought.
Old 02-15-11, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

I forgot to mention, I was just informed a doc will take you off Adderall if you lose too much weight. it could be just my state, I don't know. Since you're supposed to be checking in anyway once a month. Maybe every 3mths for blood work. They will keep track of your weight loss & will tell you if you're losing too much or if you're okay.
Old 02-18-11, 09:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by den4 View Post
I forgot to mention, I was just informed a doc will take you off Adderall if you lose too much weight. it could be just my state, I don't know. Since you're supposed to be checking in anyway once a month. Maybe every 3mths for blood work. They will keep track of your weight loss & will tell you if you're losing too much or if you're okay.
Seriously? Bloodwork every 3 months? I knew that some states required people to go in in person for each prescription, and that might mean monthly, but they actually run your blood every 3 months and bird-dog your weightloss.

That's just crazy...I'm only required to go in once a year, with bloodwork done at that time.

Good thing I live in the state I do...I would absolutely blow a gasket if I doctor said to me "We'll tell you if you're losing too much."

I'd be like, "thanks for offering, but that's why I actually have a brain of my own and why whatever force in the universe is responsible for our existence gave me free f***ing will."

I can see a minimal amount (once a year) of checking blood levels to make sure there's not something going wacky, but beyond that, it's just a quite appalling squandering of medical resources.

Wonder how much health care costs would go down if doctors stopped this kind of behavior and the system actually operated under a presumption that we were competent?
Old 02-25-11, 03:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Seriously? Bloodwork every 3 months? I knew that some states required people to go in in person for each prescription, and that might mean monthly, but they actually run your blood every 3 months and bird-dog your weightloss.

That's just crazy...I'm only required to go in once a year, with bloodwork done at that time.

Good thing I live in the state I do...I would absolutely blow a gasket if I doctor said to me "We'll tell you if you're losing too much."

I'd be like, "thanks for offering, but that's why I actually have a brain of my own and why whatever force in the universe is responsible for our existence gave me free f***ing will."

I can see a minimal amount (once a year) of checking blood levels to make sure there's not something going wacky, but beyond that, it's just a quite appalling squandering of medical resources.

Wonder how much health care costs would go down if doctors stopped this kind of behavior and the system actually operated under a presumption that we were competent?
LOL, yes that's kind of how I felt. Like "I know what I am doing...thanks..." but oh well. =/
Old 02-25-11, 01:56 PM
Contributor

novaprospekt will become famous soon enough

When I started amphetamines (Vyvanse at first March 2010, switched to Adderall June 2010) I lost A LOT of weight. Started at about 205lbs and by the end of August I was 155lbs. So I guess that amounted to about 10lbs/month or 2.5lbs/wk on average. That was a pretty alarming pace for me especially when I was still shedding lbs near the 160-170 range which is more normal for a guy my age and height (I'm 21, about 5'9")

I started working out in the summer which accelerated the weight loss (however also caused muscle gain, so very high fat loss). Combined with the decreased appetite and you have a recipe for a huge change in body composition and size.

Just be careful and cognizant of what you are eating, how often, and how much weight you are losing.

Make sure to eat a lot of protein more than anything since protein is the most important for someone who isn't eating much. (Protein can be converted to carbs or fat if more of that is needed -- but your body cannot make protein from the other two).

Also if you are on Adderall, be careful about taking any workout supplements (especially other stimulants) because that could cause a bad reaction. I know from personal experience and from studying the chemistry involved.
I am not a doctor. I am a 21yo college student studying biochemistry and pre-medicine. I have extensive interest in pharmacology, particularly in the fields of mental disorders. I hope my advice is helpful but always discuss problems or changes to medications with your doctor first!
The Following User Says Thank You to novaprospekt For This Useful Post:
crusty (02-25-11)
Old 02-25-11, 04:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Illiterati has a spectacular aura aboutIlliterati has a spectacular aura about

I've dropped nearly 40 pounds since I started taking Adderall in mid-August 2010.

Since I started at around 272 pounds, and a healthy weight for me is much closer to about 115 pounds, I'm not complaining. And yes, people who know me have noticed. For one, I only have one chin now, though it's still not tightened up to get rid of the slanty-diagonal one.

The Adderall definitely helps to keep me on track and gives me the energy I need to get through the day without curling up in bed, under the covers, hiding from the world (I'm also clinically depressed).
Dx'd Clinical Depression, ADD, Fibromyalgia & Migraine
Rx'd Nortriptyline & Ritalin
The Following User Says Thank You to Illiterati For This Useful Post:
den4 (02-27-11)
Old 02-25-11, 07:36 PM
Contributor

Canuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to all

I was about 360 lbs in mid October. I'm down to 307, and hoping to get down to 185.

I know the Adderall has helped, but I started taking it at the same time as I began to work on a 2000 calorie diet.

My advice is to find out what your target weight should be, and make sure you are eating enough calories to maintain that weight. Lean protein is a must. Carbs should be kept to a minimum, and refined carbs like white bread should be avoided.

Make a point to keep fruit and veggies around for snacks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck223 For This Useful Post:
superstressed (02-18-14)