ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Clonidine
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Clonidine (catapres)

Old 02-13-11, 12:21 AM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road
Dosage of Intuniv vs Generic IR Guanfacine

Does anyone know the difference between the two? How exactly is Intuniv released, does 1 mg of Intuniv mean four 0.25 mg guanfacine IR doses every 6 hours would be equivalent? For obvious reasons, certain people can't afford INTUNIV, so how should they dose the IR generic? It seems like a pain to dose it several times a day, and from what I gathered it seems the IR generic only drops hyperactivity and impulsivity for 3-4 hours, and you need 0.5 mg to make a difference, so that would mean 6 doses of 0.5 mg each which is about 3 mg a day, consistent with studies that show Intuniv is most effective at ~ 3 mg.
The Following User Says Thank You to amu_d For This Useful Post:
alan1 (02-15-11)
Old 09-02-11, 03:02 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dosage of Intuniv vs Generic IR Guanfacine

Well.... its day 3 of this new med.....guanfacine.
Its my understanding that the half life of guanfacine is 14 hours....so it sticks around a while.

my dosage is 1/2 tab (1/2 mg) twice a day. Not as many dosages as you imagined. So far so good
Old 09-02-11, 03:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School MBD View Post
Well.... its day 3 of this new med.....guanfacine.
Its my understanding that the half life of guanfacine is 14 hours....so it sticks around a while.

my dosage is 1/2 tab (1/2 mg) twice a day. Not as many dosages as you imagined. So far so good
How does it feel compared to Adderall?

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-11, 05:57 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

So far I'm liking it! I really don't "feel" different and have not thrown the phone and or fishing pole during events that would typically cause something to go sailing thru the air!

Lol
Old 04-24-13, 07:40 PM
Jr Member

Lambeau has a spectacular aura aboutLambeau has a spectacular aura about

I'm on day 2 of 1mg TID. From reading papers on NCBI, I am realizing that this is a very high dose, especially for a starter, and way especially for someone taking valium and flexeril for spasms. I have been very dopey. I took my first one yesterday at 9 am, and purposely skipped my valium and flexeril, and do not remember anything but sitting down from being light headed, and woke up at 11:30, with everyone late and my kids alone. Stuck with it, and by 7 pm and dose 2 (2:30) I was a zombie. I have music to write, some paperwork to fill out, and I am totally absent minded. I was holding everything to walk, bouncing off walls, and not in a hyper way, and was talking noticeably slower. I just plain forgot to shower and forgot to eat. Dose 3 at 12 and out.

Today I was up at 7. Did not take first dose until 11 so I could get my son to school. Took it, and it got weird again. I had to take my spasm meds as my back was hating me, and it got really slow. I am bouncing from task to task, and nothing is getting done. Second dose at 4 btw. I feel like I have taken a huge amount of benzos. Like I did my last MRI. 8 mg of ativan is identical to how I feel now. This is the longest task completed today, but only to let people know it's not the best med to start on (diagnosed Monday...I've known forever.) I am trying my best to keep a med log so the doc knows it's not well. My wife noticed my wobble last night, as well as my slow speech. Everything is just slow. I am even typing slow. Too slow. But time flies. I sat yesterday to do some music work, and thought I was on an hour. It was 3 hours. I'll see how day 3 goes, and try to remember to keep you updated, but my memory is worse now than before I started. I feel he started an entirely too high of a dose. I am a little worried about BP right now.
Old 04-25-13, 02:15 PM
Jr Member

Lambeau has a spectacular aura aboutLambeau has a spectacular aura about

Not that I am trying to steal your post but I will at least let you all know how the end of day 2 is. I won't steal your post. If it gets better I will let you know on new post. If I stay the same. I will just post a 2 week trial summery on a new post.

I fell asleep typing this, and woke up a few hours later and took my glasses off and got this off my lap and went to bed. Before I came to bed, I was seriously sluggish and very foggy. I had not even taken dose 3. My wife couldn't understand anything I was saying. Fine motor skills were horrible, as I had trouble picking up a pen to write on my med log for my doctor. I decided to smoke a quarter gram of some pre 98 bubba kush (indica dominant MMJ) that I had grown myself. I was aware, not sluggish, my appetite came back, and I started cleaning the house. No longer in a fog. Unfortunately the only thing I had put in my stomach was a half gallon of chocolate milk all day. Almost like I forgot to eat. I ate 2 pieces of leftover vegetable pizza (not on my OCD list of foods...more on that later) and took pill 3. I wrapped some sushi that my wife brought home that I normally would have eaten right away very carefully as to keep it fresh for today, came upstairs, turned my computer on, and apparently pill 3 kicked in and I was out. I slept 12 hours, and am very foggy and almost hung over feeling. I smoke cannabis all the time at night, so I know it is not that.

I am also 2 weeks out from stopping opiate pain therapy, and do feel some mild post acute withdrawal symptoms, and have every morning since starting guanfacine, and first dose typically takes them away. Since clonidine is used to ease opiate withdrawals, I feel the guanfacine is doing the same, but is just too much. I am highly lethargic and forgetful, and the point of getting help for my ADHD was to help me concentrate. This is definitely helping impulse control, which is only a slight problem with me before treatment, but to a point that it's making me unable to do anything. I am a total zombie on this dose. I am cutting my dose to what would be a typical dose of 1/2 mg BID instead of 1mg TID. I can't function on the current dose. Especially with it's 16 hour half life. If this builds up in my system, I am going to be on my couch looking at nothing, unable to move soon. There is no way I could drive the past few days. I forget to eat, forget to take my other meds and my vitamins, and forget to brush my teeth and even forgot to take a shower. I can't take care of my children this way. Here I am again, not getting the proper help for my psychological problems. It's actually making my attention and ability to focus worse. I'll just add this on the list of failures of psychiatrists over the years.

Last edited by namazu; 04-25-13 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Removed statements supporting use of substances considered illicit by U.S. law.