ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-11, 01:48 PM

finalcountdown is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Worried... Am I anorexic or is it my Adderall?

I've been taking ADHD medicine since I was around 7 or 8. I switched medicines many times, from Adderall to other drugs. My last medicine was Focalin, and now I'm back on Adderall. Last time I took Adderall, from what I can recall, my eating patterns were just fine, maybe only slightly below normal. Now, though, I don't eat hardly at all.

I get that Adderall makes you lose your appetite. But when I started taking it recently I decided I liked the fact that I didn't want to eat. I used to force myself to eat because otherwise I just might not, but now I don't even do that. Now I let myself go without eating. Sometimes I don't even eat 500 calories in a day.

A part of me wants to eat (other than just my appetite) but a bigger part of me likes that I don't eat. I choose not to eat and I'm worried I am or maybe I'm becoming anorexic. It scares me sometimes, but for some reason not really enough. If it didn't scare me every day I just wouldn't eat. Help!
Old 02-15-11, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

humandefault is a jewel in the roughhumandefault is a jewel in the roughhumandefault is a jewel in the rough
Re: Worried... Am I anorexic or is it my Adderall?

Duuude, same thing happened to me. I had been taking it for a while, but once I started high school (and looks really became an issue) I realized that I was pretty significantly overweight. Anorexia is all about not eating, and for most people that takes a considerable amount of self-control. However, with Adderall making it so I wasn't ever hungry, anorexia was the easiest thing in the world. And, at first, losing weight without trying at all was awesome...

Literally, I lost about 50 pounds in 3 months. Went from a size 14 to a size 2. People started asking if I was sick all the time (I really looked like I had gone through leukemia or something, when I look at picture from then). Finally, I slowly started forcing myself to eat. I'm definitely not blaming the Adderall, but I did the same thing you are in the beginning: I kept saying it was just the meds making me not want to eat and losing weight was an added bonus, not the goal. However, having struggled with anorexia, I now know what I went through was an eating disorder even if I made excuses for it.

Odds are, if you are asking about this, you probably do have something to worry about. Although, you sound smarter than me, because you haven't gone down to a weight that makes people call you Skeletor behind your back BEFORE you realize it's a bad idea. So, point is, don't do it.

Also, added incentive from someone who's been there: as I said, beating anorexia actually made me way fatter. My metabolism slowed down so much because I was anorexic for about 3 years that once I tried to start eating healthy again my body started putting on weight like it was preparing for hibernation. Two years later I am still struggling with the way anorexia screwed up my metabolism. It's awesome in the short run (losing weight without trying [thanks to Adderall]) but I swear to God it will make you fatter in the long run! And, so you know, it doesn't take 3 years to cause this effect. Going even one day without food significantly lowers your metabolism, which means that when you DO eat you will save way more calories as fat than you would have if you'd been keeping your metabolism regular. Every day compounds this effect. And now I'm a big fat fatty so, take it from me, use the appetite suppression from Adderall to allow yourself to eat healthier and more often (small meals 5-6 times a day) because Adderall will help you avoid binging and craving stupid things. DON'T use it to allow yourself to not eat.

P.S. I will send you a picture to motivate you to not end up like I am now! lol

-Mahatma Ghandi-
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to humandefault For This Useful Post:
finalcountdown (02-15-11), GreatArtistJosh (09-03-12), loveydovey25 (04-10-11), missy11 (07-22-11), Scooter77 (02-16-11)
Old 02-15-11, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,157 Times in 739 Posts
NorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really nice

yeah, I had the exact same feeling the other day. I only had a bagel with cream cheese and a bowl of boiled carrots. I didn't know what was wrong with me but I just didn't feeling like eating too much that day.

I'm also a very active person. I go to class, study and play sports - tennis. Two days before the whole bagel and carrots diet, I literally didn't have much to eat that day, maybe a granola bar but that was it. So, I hopped onto the tennis court and warmed up for 10 minutes. As I was warming up, I noticed that I started getting "light-headed." So I stopped and had another granola bar. The same thing happened the next day on the tennis court.

You say that you're consuming 500 calories per day. The average person usually consumed around 2,000 calories per day. I know that adderall gives you this sense of loss of appetite but try to fight it off and force yourself to eat. Carry a bag of nuts or something with you to munch on, like a bag of nuts or a granola bar. Don't starve yourself it's not worth it. It's just Irresponsible.

I mean, if it's a weight issue. Starving yourself isn't going to help much at all. You might lose a little weight from starving but once you start eating a "your" normal rate, you're body will store more than it should and you will eventually gain more weight. Anyway...

I actually bring a bag of chips or nuts with me everywhere I go when I'm in a rush. And I'm forcing myself to eat more, also because I kind of have a high metabolism.

You should try eating a "small" meal every 2 hours to keep your metabolism going....which should be like eating 8 small meals per day.

I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalAndy8 For This Useful Post:
finalcountdown (02-15-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-11, 04:03 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

it depends why you feel like not eating.
it may be the meds to be honest.
not a lot of people with eating disorders worry if they are becoming anorexic/bulimic/binge eater etc.
they may worry if they are in recovery and are relapsing, but not sure if they would worry as it develops...
but we are not professionals, no one here can say if you are developing eating problems, or if it is down to your meds, or other factors.
id see your doc.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarey For This Useful Post:
finalcountdown (02-15-11), Scooter77 (02-16-11)
Old 02-27-11, 01:31 PM

Nitz is on a distinguished road

Your'e anorexic only if you are extremely afraid of gaining weight, try to fast and work out 5 hrs/day in order to lose all your ugly, hideous, imaginary fat, and your perfect picture of yourself weighs less than 45 kilograms.

Your'e on side effects when you're just unable to put anything in your mouth, completely lost all physical desire to eat even if you still want to eat something because you emotionally like the taste (for example, you see a chocolate cake, want to eat it because of the taste, but when thinking of food your mouth becomes dry and your stomach feels sick as if your'e stuffed), and if your'e worried about losing weight in the same speed as the girl above you (the one with the strange self image that includes only skin & bones).

Name: Nitz
Obsessions: Learning "disabilities", the autistic spectrum & other neurodiversities (INCLUDING my ADD. ), & my boyfriend.
Past obsessions: PPG, Teletubbies, Digimon, The Sims 2, InuYasha, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Anatomy, Neurology, Pokemon, My ex-es.
Why I'm here: I'm bored, and want to discuss living in a so-called "chaos" & always being on alert.
Old 02-27-11, 01:59 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 12,601 Times in 6,440 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Final, I take the generic for Adderall. Yes, it does curb your appetite. I find myself having to force myself to eat.

I also have chronic prostititis and sometimes am thankful for the adderall curbing my appetite, because there are many foods that I can't eat. If I do eat the foods that are harmful to my body, I will certainly suffer the consequences.

Also, yes there is some danger in becoming anorexic, but I believe we live in a world that consumes more food than necessary. Humans can live a long time without food. This doesn't mean that you need to forsake eating all together...
Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.

~Steven Pressfield
Old 03-02-11, 06:22 PM
Educator moderator

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,497 Posts
julesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant future

Hiya I worry for you, Cutting out food was something i did in my teens for years ,a control thing. Ive read on this forum it may be connected with ASD but im sure i do not have that.
I am a perfectionistist and still at my age need to be this, but ive grown as you will ,and my weight is not so important to me now.
Stay strong
Old 05-26-11, 01:44 PM

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,843 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know what to tell you. considering youve been on it for so long, its hard to tell. but i do know this: anorexia nervosa is also a mental illness where you willingly take small amounts of food, if at all, despite hunger. then there's anorexia which is a symptom of amphetamine use, which is just loss of appetite. cuz i take adderall, and noticed a loss of appetite, which im trying to fix now.

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-26-11, 02:00 PM

Thanked 16,816 Times in 7,600 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought that anorexia was a part of body dysmophic disorder where you didn't see yourself the way you are but a distorted image and then drastically alter the way you view food. Is that what you are doing?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-26-11, 02:50 PM

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,843 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

ok, you must have more knowledge in the subject than i do. uh no, im not anorexia nervosa, my adderall just messes my hunger up so i therefore lose weight.

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-24-12, 04:53 AM

ann0068 is on a distinguished road

I've been taking Adderall since 2010 and it didn't necessarily repress my hunger, I just felt like I had so many other things to do that were more important than sitting down and eating. I didn't lose too much weight but I definitely didn't eat as much. I took a break from it for about 6-8 months after I came back from college and during those months I started eating better and lost about 20 lbs so I weighed about a steady 100 lbs. I recently began taking Adderall again and now I literally don't eat at all. I'm almost 21 years old and I'm 5'3 and weigh 90 lbs. My family has threatened to take my Adderall away from me and also to send me to the hospital for having an eating disorder because I don't think I look unhealthy. I've tried 5+ different ADD medications and none of them work as well as Adderall so I literally refuse to stop taking it. I don't necessarily want to keep losing the weight but I have a fear of gaining weight at the same time so I'm unsure what to do. I'm also prescribed benzos and anti-depressants and I'm not sure if the combination makes me not want to eat but I literally have lost my appetite for most foods I used to love. Even the act of chewing grosses me out now and I can only force myself to eat in the morning before I take my Adderall.
Old 06-24-12, 06:48 AM

Thanked 16,816 Times in 7,600 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling like you cant eat is much different than not wanting to eat. It sounds like, in my opinion that you may have a slightly distorted view of what your body looks like. While its not always pleasant or helpful to have everybody telling you what to do and talking about how you look, sometimes you have to think that if the majority of people in your life think you dont look healthy than maybe you dont. Years ago, stimulants were prescribed to help people diet due to their appetite surpressing qualities. Appetite supression combined with an unhealthy view of ones body and physical health can be a really bad combo. You need to consider the root causes though. Why do you want to be that thin? Do you think you have a weight problem? Are you able to continue to do the things you normally would or are you hampered by your physical health? Many times, a weight issue or eating disorder lives inside a persons mind. It is the psychological part of our minds that shape how we view ourselves. If your mind thinks you are fat, then no amount of weight loss or dieting will convince you otherwise. Have you considered some therapy for these issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann0068 View Post
I've been taking Adderall since 2010 and it didn't necessarily repress my hunger, I just felt like I had so many other things to do that were more important than sitting down and eating. I didn't lose too much weight but I definitely didn't eat as much. I took a break from it for about 6-8 months after I came back from college and during those months I started eating better and lost about 20 lbs so I weighed about a steady 100 lbs. I recently began taking Adderall again and now I literally don't eat at all. I'm almost 21 years old and I'm 5'3 and weigh 90 lbs. My family has threatened to take my Adderall away from me and also to send me to the hospital for having an eating disorder because I don't think I look unhealthy. I've tried 5+ different ADD medications and none of them work as well as Adderall so I literally refuse to stop taking it. I don't necessarily want to keep losing the weight but I have a fear of gaining weight at the same time so I'm unsure what to do. I'm also prescribed benzos and anti-depressants and I'm not sure if the combination makes me not want to eat but I literally have lost my appetite for most foods I used to love. Even the act of chewing grosses me out now and I can only force myself to eat in the morning before I take my Adderall.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
hanikamiya (06-24-12)
Old 06-24-12, 08:35 AM
Contributor

hanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to behold

What Sarah says, but it's also that the particular stress induced by fasting (or purging) changes the balance of neurotransmitters in one's brain. Many of the behaviours and thoughts that keep an eating disorder alive are influenced or even caused by malnutrition.

Also, there are many anorexics out there who use stimulants to help them suppress their appetite. It's not an either or question, it could be both. And there are people who are well aware that they might be sliding into something dangerous, but who don't know how to help themselves, and go on and develop an eating disorder. Meaning, it's impossible to categorically say you're on your way to anorexia nervosa, or you aren't, without a professional looking at your current unmedicated behaviour.

What could have happened is that when you started taking Adderall the second time, you noticed that when eating less food you also feel energetic and capable. That's a normal symptom of beginning starvation that can be explained by evolution: When starvation sets in your body realizes it's 'get food now, or risk dying' and so it sets free ressources for you to walk and run longer distances to find food, and it raises your level of self-confidence so that you're more likely to take the risk of hunting a bigger animal.
In modern day anorexics, the learning effect normally isn't 'if I want to survive I need to hunt' but 'if I reduce my food intake I'll feel great', and they try the same method after being through that stage and in the next one, where their bodies want them to preserve as much energy as possible, and their health is slowly deteriorating.

And that's one of the problems. Humans are really bad at noticing slow changes, especially when they happen right under their nose. We're particularly bad at noticing slow changes in ourselves. If your family and friends tell you you look unhealthy, they say it because they are in a better position to notice.
And the question is not whether you'll be allowed to take Adderall or not, the question is whether you let your health deteriorate so much that you need months or years to regain what's lost - if you're lucky enough that you can.
Every day you let yourself continue now means you add another day or more to the time you will spend getting healthy again.

If you feel that chewing is too difficult/disgusting, drink protein shakes, juices and sports drinks. But force yourself to eat solid food at least once a day. Make sure you get the necessary amount of calories - pay extra attention to protein, micronutrients and essential fatty acids (for example by eating nuts, drinking natural vegetable juice with added olive oil) and also take supplements to make sure you don't cause lasting damage.

The feeling of disgust you mentioned is just another messed-up mix of neurotransmitters. Usually you should only get it when your body knows that a certain food is a really bad choice at the moment. But it's possible to train oneself to feel disgusted (for example going vegan when you used to like eating meat), and it's also possible to reduce the amount of disgust when you slowly eat something that you know it's not dangerous for you, at a time when you know your body should be hungry even if you don't feel it. Also, disgust of solid food can be cauded by dehydration, so make sure you're getting enough liquids.
Komod0Dragon (10-01-12), sarahsweets (06-24-12)
Old 07-02-12, 09:41 PM

frogbrigade is on a distinguished road

I never had a problem with my weight until I started taking ADD medication. I lost about 11 pounds but was still at the low end of the healthy weight range for my height so it was okay. because of other negative side effects I decided to stop using them for months and I started eating ALL THE TIME because I was so used to not having an appetite. I gained a lot of weight and even though I quickly gained the weight back and I think it was the same weight I was originally I started to feel really self concious and fat. when I started taking medication again, like you, I kind of liked the fact that I didn't have an appetite anymore. but it kind of became an obsession. It got to the point where I couldn't run for more than like 10 seconds without being extremely exhausted dizzy, and sick feeling. one time I fell on the ground, (it was kind of a hard fall but not so bad and usually I'm totally fine about stuff like that) and it sent a huge shock through my body and I saw double for a little EVEN THOUGH I DIDNT HIT MY HEAD. I just felt weak and fragile and sick all the time and finally got fed up. I decided to just eat healthy, and to not over-eat instead of being completely obsessed about it and not eating anything. your experience sounds similar to mine so PLEASE don't let yourself get caught up in this. If it goes on too long it could be serious and trust me you will be much healthier and happier eating regularly and healthily. good luck!!