ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-17-11, 04:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,156 Times in 739 Posts
NorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really nice
Lowered Dosage on Adderall

So I started 10mg of Adderall in November of last year. I usually take it twice a day when necessary. And since I only need to take when I have class, I decided to take a break from it during winter break. So during that time, a few other of my family members found out that I was taking Adderall for my ADHD-PI. They were all shocked that I started taking medication because of school related issues because they didn't think I had AHDH-PI. So, most of them were against the fact that I was taking medication. But I told them that I went to an expert and got diagnosed with ADHD-PI and some other learning disability.

I had a talk with a few of my family members about my reason for taking it. They were honestly trying to convince me to stop taking it by telling me that taking medication may hurt me in the long run or that it "may" give me bad side effects later on in life. Anyway, I told them that I would stop taking it during winter break, which I did.

So during my first week back at school. I noticed that my dosage at 10mg of Adderall worked a little better because of the break. I also agreed to my siblings that I would lower my dosage to 5mg of Adderall which I thought was insane.

So we made an appointment to speak with my doctor about why I'm taking it and that my sibling would want me to lower the dosage. I honestly thought the appointment was a waste of time. My sibling was literally asking my doctor questions about what my psych or neuro-psych. would have the answer to. But either way it was pointless.

So, now I'm currently on 5mg of Adderall 2 times per day. The first couple of weeks on it was fine. But now I'm on my third week and I do not seem to have much focus. I actually feel less productive and focused since lowering it. Plus, I do not take it on weekends including Friday because I do not have class that day. And I still doesn't help.

I had a quiz in one my classes today. We take it at the beginning of class, before the lecture. So after we finished taking the quizzes..I literally started zoning out. And this was about an hour after I took my second dosage. And I have a class right after this one, which is 3 hours long. During that entire time, I felt unproductive and a little depressed.

I honestly want to increase my dosage back to 10mg X 2 a day. Do you think I should let my family members know that I want to go up? Or should I just call my doctor to increase my dosage? I shouldn't have to consult my family members about increasing my dosage because the decision is up to me and my doctor? right?
Old 02-17-11, 04:32 AM
Contributor

DrZoidberg is a name known to allDrZoidberg is a name known to allDrZoidberg is a name known to allDrZoidberg is a name known to allDrZoidberg is a name known to allDrZoidberg is a name known to all
Re: Lowered Dosage on Adderall

Your family members aren't doctors. They mean well, but they're obviously talking out their ***. The nice thing about Adderall is that as soon as you stop taking it it goes away from your system completely. It won't give you side effects later in life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrZoidberg For This Useful Post:
CrazyLazyGal (02-18-11), NorCalAndy8 (02-18-11)
Old 02-17-11, 07:54 AM

PalatialRegalia is on a distinguished road

Your family clearly has their mind made up that all drugs are bad and they don't understand the concept of ADD. Do what is right for you and just don't tell them. You don't have to lie, you don't have to be sneaky, just don't bring it up. Take your pills, go to school, do well, and no one can complain. I've had people get on my case and I know it is hard to explain to "normal" people what is going on in your head. Sometimes it is best to keep it to yourself.

Good Luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalatialRegalia For This Useful Post:
NorCalAndy8 (02-18-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-11, 01:23 PM

Jblplyr is on a distinguished road

I'd keep it to yourself. There is rarely a winner in those arguments, even with family members.

Of course pointing out flaws of theirs and turning the table can always be fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jblplyr For This Useful Post:
NorCalAndy8 (02-18-11)
Old 02-17-11, 08:02 PM
Banned

Vraiment will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAndy8 View Post
So I started 10mg of Adderall in November of last year. I usually take it twice a day when necessary. And since I only need to take when I have class, I decided to take a break from it during winter break. So during that time, a few other of my family members found out that I was taking Adderall for my ADHD-PI. They were all shocked that I started taking medication because of school related issues because they didn't think I had AHDH-PI. So, most of them were against the fact that I was taking medication. But I told them that I went to an expert and got diagnosed with ADHD-PI and some other learning disability.

I had a talk with a few of my family members about my reason for taking it. They were honestly trying to convince me to stop taking it by telling me that taking medication may hurt me in the long run or that it "may" give me bad side effects later on in life. Anyway, I told them that I would stop taking it during winter break, which I did.

So during my first week back at school. I noticed that my dosage at 10mg of Adderall worked a little better because of the break. I also agreed to my siblings that I would lower my dosage to 5mg of Adderall which I thought was insane.

So we made an appointment to speak with my doctor about why I'm taking it and that my sibling would want me to lower the dosage. I honestly thought the appointment was a waste of time. My sibling was literally asking my doctor questions about what my psych or neuro-psych. would have the answer to. But either way it was pointless.

So, now I'm currently on 5mg of Adderall 2 times per day. The first couple of weeks on it was fine. But now I'm on my third week and I do not seem to have much focus. I actually feel less productive and focused since lowering it. Plus, I do not take it on weekends including Friday because I do not have class that day. And I still doesn't help.

I had a quiz in one my classes today. We take it at the beginning of class, before the lecture. So after we finished taking the quizzes..I literally started zoning out. And this was about an hour after I took my second dosage. And I have a class right after this one, which is 3 hours long. During that entire time, I felt unproductive and a little depressed.

I honestly want to increase my dosage back to 10mg X 2 a day. Do you think I should let my family members know that I want to go up? Or should I just call my doctor to increase my dosage? I shouldn't have to consult my family members about increasing my dosage because the decision is up to me and my doctor? right?
If you're under 18 you do what your parents tell you.

If you're above 18 you do what the doctor tells you. Parents don't like it? Fvck you mom and dad! I guess they'll see who was right when you finish your college and drive a BMW.

Truth about Adderall? Yes, it does affect you. How much? Nobody knows. It does increase blood pressure and heart rate so it stresses the cardio vascular system, tends to raise body temperature and also adds to the liver process load and kidney excretion. My opinion? Who gives a flying fvck? I would rather live to 80, happy and awake instead of 95 like a fvcking useless vegetable that everyone hates and gives zero sheet about. When it comes to old age, the sooner the better. Like, I couldn't stand to be 90 years old...I would probably OD on morphine to get it over with. But that's just my philosophical opinion subject to change lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Vraiment For This Useful Post:
NorCalAndy8 (02-18-11)
Old 02-18-11, 04:02 AM

NorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really nice

Yeah, so I called my doc. this morning and he put me back on 10mg. Hopefully, I'll have a better experience next week.

Thanks for all of your responses!
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalAndy8 For This Useful Post:
CrazyLazyGal (02-18-11)
Old 02-18-11, 06:06 PM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

Are you over 18?

If so, don't give your family a play-by-play of your medications and dosages. Why did you bring your sibling to the appointment?
Old 02-18-11, 08:29 PM

Yes, I'm well over 18..

He/she was just concerned and wanted to speak with my doc. about why he was prescribing medication to me.

It almost seemed like a therapy session with my family doctor. I noticed that he seemed kind of frustrated with my sibling. I also felt the same way. The whole time I was thinking, "he isn't a neuro-psychologist, he only prescribes." He was practically asking my family doctor questions that he wouldn't be able to provide the best answer to. I mean he does work with my psychologist and neuropsych. on what medication would work but I'm sure he doesn't disclose any of my personal issues.
Old 02-18-11, 08:39 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,031 Times in 556 Posts
Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold

You shouldn't ever bring siblings to YOUR appointments if they're against ADHD and the medications that treat it.

It's kind of like drinking strong salt water to get hydrated.

Rx= Nothing. Can't due to medical reasons.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
Old 02-18-11, 09:02 PM

So, we're in one of the rooms at the doctor's office. I'm sitting there quietly and my sibling starts telling how irresponsible I was acting for not telling them them that I was being medicated. He/She was talking down to me like I didn't need it at all...telling me the possible drawbacks, etc (stuff that I already knew about). So, I was like, "ok, yeah, right (whatever)." We were talking so loud, people in the waiting room might of heard us. I stopped talking because it was too embarrassing to listen to someone that didn't even know what he/she was talking about...