ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-04-08, 09:10 PM
Jr Member

yaya is on a distinguished road
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjobace View Post
I struggle with the question of "Do I medicate myself and conform to the way 90 percent of the world operates? or Do I build my world in such a way as to maximize my ownm unique ADD personality?" Does this make any sense to any of you? In other words, I am extremely creative and a great problem solver, although, very messy and unorganized. Should I become neat and organized and sacrifice my other strengths? Is this a common question? I'm sure I could be more of an achiever if I were medicated, I fear losing the only person I've known.
ahh, some of the same things I keep pondering... thx for posting this.
Old 06-04-08, 11:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I struggle with the question of "Do I medicate myself and conform to the way 90 percent of the world operates? or Do I build my world in such a way as to maximize my ownm unique ADD personality?" Does this make any sense to any of you? In other words, I am extremely creative and a great problem solver, although, very messy and unorganized. Should I become neat and organized and sacrifice my other strengths? Is this a common question? I'm sure I could be more of an achiever if I were medicated, I fear losing the only person I've known.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya View Post
ahh, some of the same things I keep pondering... thx for posting this.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no magic pill and even though my medication works for me, I could never be mistaken for anything other than ADHD.

Phaedrus

Old 06-05-08, 11:19 AM
Jr Member

Angry Re: Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no magic pill and even though my medication works for me, I could never be mistaken for anything other than ADHD.
good luck bursting bubbles. mine are all burst already, so don't bother..

i'm not trying to hide my add, but to manage it better, so as 'not to be mistaken for anything other than adhd', although I find it pretty lame to be defined just by that, is not my concern.

In the past I was prescribed some medications that changed who I was quite a bit and made it almost impossible to be creative and do my job, so if that didn't happen to you that's great, but I don't think I know everybody's particular case just because we're all adhd. Or is it an opinion you heard from someone else? Now if you don't like pondering, allow us to still do so if we please.

sorry everybody, but I'm sensitive to flippant replies.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-08, 04:00 PM
Jr Member

Thumbs up Re: Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet View Post
Hi oddjobace. I'm a creative person and a problem solver too. Just want to mention that the messiness and disorganization you have are just byproducts of your ADD. A lot of that can be worked over through discipline and helped with medication or therapy. I am neater now and a whole lot more organized, but my creativity has not suffered because of my taking something for ADD. I'm not into conforming either..I think buiding your own world sounds marvelous!

~gourmet~
Thank you for posting this. Well said!

About medication, I confirm to oddjobace that the situation definitely improves with medication although I get a cooling effect from it. It cools my personality down. When I took either Concerta or Ritalin it helped me a lot with organization as well as with concentration, but mainly it's just that it made everything more manageable. I personally do get somewhat less sensitive to beauty and more sensitive to reason while taking it, but there are other medications (especially ssri's for me-I hate them!) which affect me in worse a way and change me into something I don't recognize -besides giving me even disturbing physical simptoms on top of that. So, when doctors start to add or change stuff like you're some sort of Guinea-pig then I go bye-bye. I still haven't found a good, caring and respectful doctor yet but I'm almost ready for my crutches again so I hope in good fortune finding one who'll stick around longer.
Old 08-13-08, 02:00 PM

fgraham is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know

Anyone know about a knowledgeable clinician in Southern Oregon near Roseburg to treat an 11 year old?
Old 08-13-08, 05:26 PM

lizbeth will become famous soon enough

Great information, but I know my psych made me use the connors' scale and he makes me re do it every couple of years, is this correct or wrong? please let me know thanks again
Old 08-13-08, 05:39 PM

Thanked 10,182 Times in 3,202 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

fyi,

The Connors, while among the most widely used, and perhaps the oldest checklist, has come under a great deal of empirically (research) supported criticisms lately.

I have to run back to work,but I've got the references.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

PS

I've stopped using it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
ozchris (08-14-08)
Old 08-22-08, 12:14 AM

Arlo is on a distinguished road

Way too many words. Sorry, it had to be said. I need 5 or less.
Old 11-23-08, 04:08 PM

Newbie08 is on a distinguished road

Trying to get some feedback. My wife started taking adderall about 6 years ago, relationship started going down ever since. She will not stop taking it. Takes something like 120mg a day. 60 xr and 60 generic. Trying to understand her symptoms, I think their bad she says no. Confused.

If this is not the thread to do this, can you direct me ?
Old 11-25-08, 03:49 AM

talitha will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I struggle with the question of "Do I medicate myself and conform to the way 90 percent of the world operates? or Do I build my world in such a way as to maximize my ownm unique ADD personality?" Does this make any sense to any of you?
i'm really new to all of this... i've only known about my add for a matter of weeks now. so i hope i'm not off base.... but i think that we adders are amazing. i think we are all very similar and just because we are not recognized in a good way doesn't mean we are NOT OK. we are different, that's all. i mean... our society just isn't friendly to our type. i say no meds, i say expand your creativity in your own way and see how far you can go!

i don't really know, like i said, i'm a newbie... but it just seems like such a waste of a fresh perspective. i wish we could be more free to just be the way we are instead of masking it with medicine.
Old 11-25-08, 03:53 AM

talitha will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeantHumain View Post
I was kind of hoping this guide would teach people how to act more hyper instead of explaining mundane basics about being diagnosed and finding the right treatments. Maybe I should write just such a guide so that other newbies' hopes aren't let down too.
i was hoping it would talk more about coping and learning to 'deal' with yourself. does anyone know of a source that does such?
Old 03-04-09, 05:56 PM
Jr Member

Briebird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
oddjob, when I went on meds I found that I could focus better and remember things easier, and being more organized actually helped to bring out my potential. I simply wasn't wasting as much time looking for stuff and going back for things. Though I'm still pretty messy, its kind of an organized chaos. ;^_^

I don't think meds fundamentally change who you are - I think if they work for you, they help you to be who you could be without random mental glitches and brain farts in the way. I'd almost say they helped me become MORE "myself". It helped me prune away that which I didn't want to be a part of me.

They also don't "make you conform" by any stretch of the imagination - my friends and family say I'm as weird as ever. :c) As far as building your own world, sure, you can do that to some extent, but you've also gotta interact with the worlds of others. I definitely found Strattera helped me function better in the mundane, day-to-day world without having to give up the floaty, oceanic, dreamy one inside my head.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-19-09, 09:26 AM

BadgerMilk is on a distinguished road

How available are meds on the NHS.

I have read 'Da Vinci Method' and another book which is about ADD. Therye good but havent quite fired me up out of my rut (since last April- so about a year) of oversleeping, putting things off, starting and not finishing anything, spending days trawling the internet and ending up nowhere, house renovation unfinished, one of two businesses closed through inaction from me etc etc.

I could definatley do with something that would provide a kick up the **** for me and then look at using my newfound extra time to work on other ways of dealing with this.

By the way does anybody find this gets better and worse in stages or cycles??

Just a few thoughts!!
Old 03-20-09, 09:50 PM

melquíades will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerMilk View Post
How available are meds on the NHS.

I have read 'Da Vinci Method' and another book which is about ADD. Therye good but havent quite fired me up out of my rut (since last April- so about a year) of oversleeping, putting things off, starting and not finishing anything, spending days trawling the internet and ending up nowhere, house renovation unfinished, one of two businesses closed through inaction from me etc etc.

I could definatley do with something that would provide a kick up the **** for me and then look at using my newfound extra time to work on other ways of dealing with this.

By the way does anybody find this gets better and worse in stages or cycles??

Just a few thoughts!!
I'm on 3x10mg methylphenidate. No huge effect yet, I'll be going up another step next week. The process here is usually fairly straightforward, just very longwinded (6 months for me from initiation to first prescription. Lots of waiting), as you'll generally need to be referred by your GP to an Adult Mental Health Trust.
Old 05-13-09, 01:11 PM

dragonfyre2013 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Matt! View Post
Hi, I'm new here but won't right much as I can't seem to bear doing anything. Only to say great article and from this it seems that I'm not on the right meds at all. I've been given fluoxetine which isn't mentioned at all. I must look into stimulants such as ritalin.

Fluoxetine is a anti-depressant which is sometimes used in lieu of a stimulant. There are pros and cons to both types of medication – you should check with your doctor. There may be a reason why he did not prescribe a stimulant med (avoiding common side effects or it may not mix well with other meds you are taking). Check out this website: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_medications.htm for more info on types of meds and why they are offered.