ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-29-09, 04:37 PM

cappie is on a distinguished road
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know

No be yourself creative disorganized whatever. Most people i dont think can be creative. I think it is great.
The Following User Says Thank You to cappie For This Useful Post:
Kashche (01-13-14)
Old 11-20-09, 03:41 PM

momtalkadd is on a distinguished road

Good information.

Last edited by APSJ; 11-29-09 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Link and content referencing commercial site removed. Please see forum guidelines
Old 11-26-09, 01:53 AM

operaman256 is on a distinguished road

thanks so much for this info, I can use all the help I can get! LOL
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-09, 06:10 PM

TeslasRinger is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ADD without insurance.

whoa, thank you very much, this is very well done, though, I do have one question, what do you do if you are unable to obtain health insurance, due to financial obstructions, I know I need some sort of treatment like Ritalin, that is certain, but I am unable to determine if I am able to afford the prescription, I just recently got glasses and that shot me back 130 dollars-(which I really did not have) I guess my real question is how much do drugs such as "Ritalin" cost without insurance, not including the doctors visit of course, which I also would like to know an estimate on if possible.

thank's in advance for any replies with helpful information.

TeslasRinger
Old 12-01-09, 01:47 PM

STorm is on a distinguished road

I'm the total opposite from some of you here. I've just recently discovered that I very well indeed have ADD/ADHD, but still have yet to get properly diagnosed. But, from all of the research I have done, all of it was as if I am reading my life story. So many things that people are saying on this site I can relate to. I've read the DSM-IV 4th edition for ADHD, and I have every single inattentive symptom on the list, and 6 of the hyperactive symptoms on the list. When I look back, I've been a spaced-out kid for all my life, and many other things as well.

When I say that I'm the opposite, I mean that this ADD/ADHD is taking over my life in the most negative way possible. I feel like my ADD/ADHD is a severe case. I'm failing at my life, and finally, I found an answer to why all this may possibly be happening. It seems like it's all heightened lately, because I'm living in a different situation where it is more stressful, and it shows more. I've constantly been ridiculed by my Dad that I'm severely unobservant, "lazy", unorganized, messy, and that if I keep going on like this, my life will be a mess. Which, is 100% true. I don't want to use ADD/ADHD as an excuse whatsoever. It's almost like a reason, though. I read in another post about someone saying that there's a difference between excuse and reason. Excuses, you can help it. But reason, it's about something you can't help. Before the thought ADD/ADHD even came into the picture, I have always answered to my Dad when I failed or forgot to do things, that I just cannot help it, and do not know why it happens. It just does. No matter how much I try, I just CAN'T HELP IT. We're going to call a doctor hopefully tomorrow and to make an app. I really want to take control of this and make my life normal and successful. I love my creative self as well, but I know that that will always stay with me no matter what, medicine or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STorm For This Useful Post:
addcolin (06-24-11), bakontrk (09-02-10)
Old 01-28-10, 07:43 AM
Contributor

teacher abc will become famous soon enough

I am not the person with the ADHD but my ADHDer is trying to get an appointment with a medical professional who will give him medication (plus he is also trying to get counseling). I am supporting his decision on that, though I realize it is an individual decision. Whether one should fit in with society is a choice. He realizes he is different in many ways and does not wish to become the same as everyone else. However, he is in college and wants to succeed and hopes that medication will make him more productive and better able to focus so that he can succeed. That is not a terrible thing. I am also a teacher and see kids that have ADHD and may well not need meds--their symptoms can be dealt with in the world they are in without needing meds. They don't need medication but strategies and people to be more accepting. On the other hand, I see kids who are extremely gifted who are on the road to failure because their ADHD symptoms are so bad that they cannot function in an academic setting. Is the answer to change the academic setting? Maybe, but unfortunately, many of the professions they want to go into want college completion and that is a reality. So then they have to make a choice whether to try meds and see if that helps or give up on a dream and waste their talent because the world won't accept them. I can tell you if it was me, I would try the meds but that is a choice an individual needs to make for oneself.
Old 01-30-10, 12:48 PM
Jr Member

Grammomwithadd is on a distinguished road

I apologize for the repeated posting.

Last edited by Grammomwithadd; 01-30-10 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: I accidentally posted this 3 times
Old 01-30-10, 12:52 PM
Jr Member

I'm just not as computer savvy as some of you younger folk! My apologies. You will find my original post below this one.....
>>

Last edited by Grammomwithadd; 01-30-10 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Posted too many times
Old 01-30-10, 01:03 PM
Jr Member

I woke up this morning and in my half awake /half sleep state of mind I began reflecting on the huge, and not so huge, mistakes that I have made in my life both recently and throughout my past. And, in usual 'Grammom' mode, I began harshly criticizing and berating myself with silent and negative self talk. fficeffice" />>>
In order to distract myself from the frustration and emotional pain I was experiencing, I got up, went to my computer, opened up the Forum and my eyes fell upon the message posted by Gabriella on 8/14/04. Her posting included an article by Cynthia Hammer, M.S.W. After reading Ms. Hammerís well written article, I was able to look back at my earlier thoughts from this morning with a new perspective. I consciously acknowledged my disability and the impact that it has had on all aspects of my cognitive functioning throughout my entire lifetime. I realized that there is no point in self-blame and self-criticism for my mistakes. I recognize that the mistakes and poor choices that I have made have been greatly influenced by my lifelong ADD. >>
The Concerta medication that I have been prescribed has been a great help to me thus far. I've only been on Concerta since November. I only recently increased my daily dosage from 18mg-36mg. I find that I am far less impulsive, am able to plan as well as think things through. My thoughts don't bounce around as if on a pogo stick. I am able to slow down. I am experiencing a greater calm and enjoyment in my social interactions. While I am not sure if my dosage is totally effective or if I will remain on this medication I am definitely experiencing a positive affect. I'd love to hear any ideas or thoughts about what I've just posted from anyone of you interested in doing so.>>
Thank you for listening,>>
Grammom>>
I want to thank Gabriella for posting that wonderfully informative article by Cynthia Hammer, M.S.W. on the Forum.....Thank you!>>
>>
Old 01-30-10, 04:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Meadd is a jewel in the roughMeadd is a jewel in the roughMeadd is a jewel in the rough

Thanks yall... great thread!
Old 04-08-10, 05:24 PM

jkkatie is on a distinguished road

As an adult just diagnosed at ADD, I have been told that it is possible to take medication only when needed, and not take it when we want the creative muse to have control. Does anyone know if there is truth to this?
The Following User Says Thank You to jkkatie For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (02-09-14)
Old 06-10-10, 03:26 PM

bakontrk is on a distinguished road

I am newly diagnosed with ADD inattentive type. I was on Adderall for 9 months and off for the past 6. I have been prescribed it again as of today but thought I might want to do some homework this go around.

I am a recovering addict as well. My drug of choice was always opiates but I am still on the fence about taking any narcotic. I don't particualary like the feeling that adderall gives me, I have never liked anything that speeds me up but I am curious if there are any other people out there dealing with this.

Thank you for being here.
Old 06-10-10, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nyarlathotep has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakontrk View Post
I am newly diagnosed with ADD inattentive type. I was on Adderall for 9 months and off for the past 6. I have been prescribed it again as of today but thought I might want to do some homework this go around.

I am a recovering addict as well. My drug of choice was always opiates but I am still on the fence about taking any narcotic. I don't particualary like the feeling that adderall gives me, I have never liked anything that speeds me up but I am curious if there are any other people out there dealing with this.

Thank you for being here.
I was on Adderall for over a year, and I (and my wife) can tell you that it brings out my inner *******. I was irritable, moody, short-tempered, and just an all around jerk.

Off adderall, I may not work as fast, but I'm much pleasanter to be around.

Just my experience, you results may vary, ask your doctor if Adderall is right for you! Side effects may include projectile ocular bleeding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyarlathotep For This Useful Post:
bakontrk (08-17-10)
Old 08-02-10, 06:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

resa is on a distinguished road

bc i have an attention problem i um couldnt read it all but did get some of the main points at the top....great literature there ........
The Following User Says Thank You to resa For This Useful Post:
bakontrk (08-17-10)
Old 08-30-10, 08:13 PM

BradC is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with ADD as a child but now that I am an adult and do not have insurance and I'm unemployed it is difficult to find a doctor who can help me. Are there any recommendations from other users on what i could do to try and manage my ADD (OTC supplements, specific exercises, etc.)? Any help would be great!