ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 08-30-10, 10:08 PM

BradC is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know

By OTC Supplements i mean Vitamins and natural supplements (Non Habit Forming)
Old 10-02-10, 10:48 PM

rajaram is on a distinguished road
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know

hey guys im new to this forum,,,,and recently found out that i have adullt add..i have difficulty in focussing and all my life i blamed myself for all the failures and had a negative thought process in my brain which always came in between while i was concentrating in something..can some one suggest me how to deal with this..i dont knw how will people close to me react and whom should i tell or not and wat should i do..i have overwhelming emotions at multiple times..
Old 10-02-10, 11:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Raj, the first thing is to not try to fix it all right now.

I have to assume that you are seeing a doc. Please open a thread outside of this sticky to tell us where you are in the process of learning to live with ADHD.

This is a safe place.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-10, 04:17 PM

MarkuZ has a spectacular aura aboutMarkuZ has a spectacular aura about

Excellent article!
Old 10-13-10, 04:55 PM

dingie is on a distinguished road

This is a great article! Thanks a lot, such information is just what I need
Old 12-19-10, 09:15 PM

hopehope will become famous soon enough

I Would like to say i have been on the med adderall for 3months wow what a difference,it doesn't take creative thinking away it enhances everything it doesn't change you as person it's like turning on a light makes you more aware keep a open mind it will open a whole new world and might just find you will be more creative
Old 12-19-10, 09:23 PM

hopehope will become famous soon enough
Re: I need change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
I am 34 years old and my life is getting to the point where there is no choice but to seek medications. I thought for a long time that I could adjust on my own, but my doctor gave me Strattera to try and it helped me to think clearer and I wasn't as pushy and easily offended, it also helped me to be a more peaceful person. I changed me enough to know that I needed something. Unfortunately, after taking Strattera for about six weeks, my blood pressure went up too high and I had to recently be taken off. After 24 hours of being off I have experienced Anxiety to where I could bite someone's head off, not good. I trust this will pass. I was upset to hear that I had to come off the meds, however, I think it is a Godsend because I believe I need more than Strattera. It didn't take away enough symptoms so I am going to see a psychiatrist to get some meds. Does anyone suggest a good med to start with?
Yes I have high blood pressure I take 25mg of atenolol twice a day I have been on adderall for 3months and doing find.if you take blood pressure med just take one with your morning does of adderall and one at night keeps blood pressure in chek hope that helps
Old 05-03-11, 12:42 PM

pqkawara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livo View Post
I always think the same thing! Like, "why should I conform to the societal norm?" oh... it rhymes.. lovely.
But on the other hand, it has become incredibly frustrating to never get any work done on time (for school, especially) as I am on academic probation for the second time... oops!
Sometimes I just really hate the fact that I have to take medicine to fit in. (even though that may not be the case, it just feels like it at times, you know?)
I have more questions about obtaining a perscription for ADHD medication, but I think I'll post that in another section that's more relevant!

But thanks for posting that thought! I'm really glad I'm not the only one who thinks about that!
Hi, I'm new here but won't right much as I can't seem to bear doing anything. Only to say great article and from this it seems that I'm not on the right meds at all. I've been given fluoxetine which isn't mentioned at all. I must look into stimulants such as ritalin.
Old 06-07-11, 11:21 AM

oldtimer will become famous soon enough

GREAT article! I did not know restless at bed time is part of it. That may be key. I do take stimulants but I take a break on the weekends. I have gotten almost as good results by taking melatonin at night instead of stimulants by day. All other sleeping pills reduce REM sleep again making our condition worse not better. I suspect we do not sleep right and do not produce enough of some substance that allows us to concentrate. Stimulants rob Peter to pay Paul. We can take stimulants to improve concentration for a few hrs when we really need it. Not to do so when concentration is really needed is not smart, in my opinion. I keep a supply at work so I can pop one if I need it. My doc wants me to take them more regularly but I am mentally tired a few hrs after medication. Stimulants also effect REM sleep so they tend to reduce effectiveness of sleep. Sustained use makes me worse not better. Literature from med compaines tell the docs just keep taking pills and everything will be fine. That is BS!
Old 06-07-11, 11:40 AM

oldtimer will become famous soon enough

Tiffany, you need a new Dr, yours is a complete moron!
1) Everyone knows you can't go cold turkey with Strattera unless you are at the lowest dose, 25 mg. You need to reduce your dosage every 3-4 days till you get down to 25 then you can go off in 3-4 few days. Probaby at 25 mg BP may not have been a issue.
2) You should have been told to monitor your BP when you started taking Strattera
3) You should have been perscribed a BP med as soon as your BP started to rise
Any competent Dr would have been more responcible.
You might try going back on it but at a low dose. I use 25 mg then take a mild stimulant (ridelan) in the morning for a bit more 'kick'. It isn't as effective but it is much safer and you can go off it when ever you like. I like to be drug free on the weekends. I am much sharper on Mondays than Fridays even though my meds are constant.
Old 06-08-11, 12:29 AM

nad123 is on a distinguished road

nice share, very informative!
Old 07-22-11, 12:28 PM

TheVision is on a distinguished road

This is great! While trying to find someone who can diagnose, i often have a little trouble knowing what to ask on the phone. More often than not i get the impression people think im one of those jerk college kids tryin to just get some meds cause i ask very bland open questions about there work with adhd, thank you!
Old 10-07-11, 07:18 PM

Drea36 is on a distinguished road

This is in response to Butch... and for any other adult with ADD or ADHD (not sure of the difference really). I signed onto this sight for assistance, information and just hoping to relate to anybody with similiar issues. Not sure if it is ADHD, that I have but sure sounds accurate. Although I have never suffered from depression or what I beleive to be insomnia, I have terrible sleeping habits. I may get 3 hours sleep a night, but not because I can't fall asleep. I Usually going to sleep around 4am and awake with my boyfriend before about 7am. I love staying up late watching I Detectives (an entire channel, available 24/7 detailing all kinds of real life murders, sociopaths, murder mysteries, forensic cases, rape stories, Women that kill, etc you get the jist). I'm entertained and intrigued by it all, always have been and can watch it endlessly, which my guy finds disturbing and upsetting especially before bedtime, while I find it enjoyable and relaxing. I'm not creepy, just have a penchant and curiosity for sociopathic human behavior. Homocide Detective would have been my 2nd career choice. This was clearly a rambling not necessary - I do this often. Im surrounded by family, friends, b-friend who are and have always been much healthier and stable mentally than myself. Interestingly enough I surround myself and am attractive to mainly healthy, well rounded people. My mother and some friends consistently print out articles on adult ADD and forward them on to me, believing that this is what I due in fact suffer from (although much of the information, and symptoms are incredibly relatable and accurate, a lot of it is not - I myself am not sure if ADD is what I have, but sure would like to know). I read on this site that there is an actual test you can take that will let you know for sure if you have ADHD. This was the very first I have heard of an actual test and am very interested in hearing more about "the test", its accuracy - if any of you have taken it. Is it a written test, something your doc must administer, etc. etc. I am very interested in taking the test as soon as I can, and appreciate anyone who takes the time to read my ramblings and is able to supply me with some actual knowledge and experience on it all.

I figure sooner I know, the sooner I can attempt to help myself and better my life.

I have worked since I was 20. The industry I chose to work in is high pressure, high stress, requires a ton of responsibility and follow through, along with the handling of large amounts of monies. Although I strive in my professional life, my personal life is trying to say the least. I can handle 2.5 million dollars and personally break out different percentages to employees along with there payroll in a timely fashion, but cant seem to handle my 4 lousy bills. To the outside world I appear very put together, and got it going on. To friends and family who i have a real-life closeness with... see that on the inside I'm a mess (and they don't even know what a mess I am). I'm all over the place, consistently late or isregarding time altogether, losing things, unable to save money, but not spending lavishly?? It seems that most of my adult life my outsides (which I'm pleased with and take great care of - hair, skin, teeth, clothes, physique), have never matched my insides. Since the outside was so well put together (and had to be), for many years I was able to ellude friends and family of how together I am and that I am ok and doing well. My personal life lately seems like a constant struggle to appear/and try being "ok and doing well." It's become more difficult and exhausting, taking up ridiculous amounts of energy (even though I seem to have an endless amount of it). I'm tired of trying to be ok and would really, really just like to be ok. I'm getting older, and don't want to have to live life this way anymore.

I'm not on any medications, beleive in therapy to better yourself and have seen therapists (althought not for the last 3 years). I did take Wellbutrin and Paxil years ago when it was prescribed for anxiety - but didn't seem to do much. Again, I'm sure I wasn't taking it properly.....

I have never exposed myself this way.... and it leaves me feeling a little strange for doing so. I know I need to open up to get some answers.... and don't mind being judged in order to do so.

If Butch or anyone actually gets through this monologue, and has information on "the ADD test" or anything helpful or useful for me, it would be much appreciated.

Dre -

I thought those "you know you have ADD if you ever.... were hysterical.
Old 01-24-12, 12:53 PM
Jr Member

ADHD_Georgia is on a distinguished road

Thank you for this thread! particularly the symptoms from Dr. Gross. I've been on Clonidine alone my ADHD for several years now (about 17-18 years) and of late I have really began to question if it is still effective or not. I think back on the last year or so of my life--particularly with my recent job situation--and I've noticed both a gradual and episodic occurrence of many of the symptoms Dr. Cruz describes. I'm going to discuss all of this with my therapist today in my appointment and see if there is anything he can do for me
Old 01-25-12, 12:45 AM
Jr Member

ADHD_Georgia is on a distinguished road

My therapist changed my medication. he put me on Tenex. I have to start taking it when I run out of my clonidine. I'm going to hope that it will work where Clonidine has been seemingy failing me as of late.