ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-15-04, 08:52 AM

wasted is on a distinguished road
Question extreme HUNGER on adderall?!

I'm not talking about the hunger that hits you after the Adderall wears off and your hunger comes back... this is different. The past couple days I have been experiencing EXTREME hunger. I mean it is to the point where it is almost unbearable, because I cannot seem to cure it. I eat and eat and eat and should be full yet I still have such strong hunger. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

It's just so sudden. I had been following a good diet while on the Adderall, making myself eat when I wasn't hungry, often enough, etc, so when the Adderall wore off I wasn't much hungrier than I was while it was suppressing my appetite, but now I am eating much much more than before (am definitely getting enough food!) and still feel like I am starving. It wakes me up from sleeping even. I feel so empty; it feels like I have a huge hole through my middle And as I said before, though I am eating much more in response, it seems to make only the slightest dent in my hunger. And then about 10 minutes later it's back to how bad it was at first.

Even more discouraging to me, however, is that my concentration is only marginally better now while on the meds as opposed to when I first started, despite being on a higher dosage (60mg) now than before.
Old 08-21-04, 01:07 PM

JoeJoeAZ is on a distinguished road
I've been on Adderal now for approximately 5 days. While I haven't seen anything as extreme as waking up in the middle of the night, and binge eating, I have noticed that when it's time to eat, I do get a feeling of hunger that was much more intense than before. So far, the benefits are outweighing the side effects however, especially as my chemestry is settling down a bit after being severely disrupted by the introduction of Adderal into my system.
I'm starting out on 10mg twice a day, and so far the dosage seems to be about right.
Old 09-02-04, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

dixiepeep has disabled reputation
I am on Adderal XR 20 mg and I am hungry all day and worse at night. I tried those Glucerna Shakes to keep my blood sugar level but I still feel like I could eat and eat and eat. Even after I eat a salad I am hungry. I am trying to eat healthier and get my cholesterol down so this is not helping when I run to the vending machine. I have always had a good appetite but this is like PMS binging all of the time.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-04, 12:28 PM

RmCL is on a distinguished road
I was hoping to loose some weight (not that fat) on the adderall. I do seem to crave sweets more. Has anyone tried the low carb diet with taking adderall?
Old 09-04-04, 05:25 PM

wasted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiepeep
I am on Adderal XR 20 mg and I am hungry all day and worse at night. I tried those Glucerna Shakes to keep my blood sugar level but I still feel like I could eat and eat and eat. Even after I eat a salad I am hungry. I am trying to eat healthier and get my cholesterol down so this is not helping when I run to the vending machine. I have always had a good appetite but this is like PMS binging all of the time.
I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one! But sorry that you are experiencing this too I have no idea what is causing it (well, it's the Adderall, but I mean *why*). My doctor doesn't know why I am reacting this way and my therapist told me I am ravenous because of "anxiety" and I just about strangled her She doesn't get that this is like the actual physical feeling of hunger and not just wanting to eat for no reason! The only thing that I have noticed about it is that the more Adderall I am taking the worse it seems to be. A few hours after the drug my appetite is suppressed but then it comes back extreme. I get so hungry it hurts!

I just switched to Dextrostat actually, to see if that helped, but I am experiencing other weird side effects and can't decide if it's any improvement. Still have this strange hunger thing as well. I feel like a freak So anyway... I'm sorry you have this side effect too, but I guess we aren't the only ones. It probably has happened to other people too.

[ 20 yea
r old female student from california, usa ]

i love... animals, photography, drawing (pencil, pen & ink), painting, beading, collages, playing piano & violin, alternative and rock music, night time, the moon, fall weather, ice skating, horseback riding, water polo, collecting vintage care bears, rainbow brite and strawberry shortcake memorabilia

i'm hoping to become... a photographer, graphic designer, film editor or veterinarian.
Old 11-01-04, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

So if it is anxiety what do I do???I dont feel anxious..just hungrylol
Old 11-01-04, 05:24 PM

andocrates is on a distinguished road
When I started using Adderall I found that I craved certain foods. Cashews for example. The thing is, I never was a nut eater. Later I found out that cashews are rich in zinc and Magnesium - 2 of the nutrients that the adderall drain from your body. I have experienced this with other foods later to find out they contained something I needed.

It may be your body needs some nutrition but it doesn't know what to tell you so you get real hungry. I would load up on nutritious food like salad, B complex vitamins, milk and the like. I'm thinking you are undernourished.
The Following User Says Thank You to andocrates For This Useful Post:
arrested_truth (02-06-12)
Old 11-02-04, 12:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

cake? what nutrient am I missing? lol Magnesium is found in chocolate I think.
Old 11-02-04, 02:14 PM

isdom is on a distinguished road
I have been on Adderall for a few years and have never had the hunger you described while taking it. I get the munchies if I take a break from adderall. Usually the 2nd day. Adderall not only makes my not hungry, it makes food not taste as well. I have to force myself to eat. Thirsty yes.
Old 11-02-04, 02:17 PM

andocrates is on a distinguished road
That's just your brain craving cake :-)

Since our bodies are running faster you always want sugar (fuel) but don't worry we burn it fast. Also, (I don't know the right word to use here but lets use nervous.) Since adderall increases nervousness we tend to do things like smoke too much, chew gum to fast, bite our fingernails, etc. You might be eating to try and ease your tension.
Old 04-06-09, 03:09 AM

starlight123 is on a distinguished road
Re: extreme HUNGER on adderall?!

I was wondering if anyone has found what to do about the extreme hunger while on adderall? I have experienced some of the same hunger problems and its awful! Once the extreme hunger hits in its hard to get anything done. It didnt used to be like this years ago when I first tried it. The opposite actually...i would go forever without eating and it wouldnt affect me.
Old 04-06-09, 11:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

I've also been eating like a horse lately. So far I haven't gained any weight, it's easier to say active with the Aderall. But I worry that I will eventually put on weight. I'm thin right now (maybe too thin) and I want to stay that way.
Old 04-06-09, 04:33 PM

supahdupah is on a distinguished road

Hmm, I wonder if it's a low blood sugar reaction. How long after taking adderall does it happen? If your blood sugar gets to low, you will feel like that, weak, shaky and STARVING. Some people blackout. It happens to me on occasion, not due to drugs, just those occasional times when you have eaten very poorly for a day or 2.
Old 04-06-09, 05:04 PM
Jr Member

traveller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Hmm, I wonder if it's a low blood sugar reaction. How long after taking adderall does it happen? If your blood sugar gets to low, you will feel like that, weak, shaky and STARVING. Some people blackout. It happens to me on occasion, not due to drugs, just those occasional times when you have eaten very poorly for a day or 2.
Hm, interesting. You mean, in this case, eating some chocolate would be as effective to get rid of that feeling as would be eating a whole meal? I'm having the same effect where Adderall tends to make me really hungry at times, but so far it hasn't bothered me too much. I'm actually glad that I can eat while medicated, as I'm already somewhat underweight. I haven't noticed any weight changes so far, positive or negative.
Old 04-06-09, 06:30 PM

supahdupah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Hm, interesting. You mean, in this case, eating some chocolate would be as effective to get rid of that feeling as would be eating a whole meal? I'm having the same effect where Adderall tends to make me really hungry at times, but so far it hasn't bothered me too much. I'm actually glad that I can eat while medicated, as I'm already somewhat underweight. I haven't noticed any weight changes so far, positive or negative.
let me preface with, I am not a doctor.

Well, eating sugar will be a quick fix, a quick peak then a crash. Low Glycemic Index foods are much healthier to control blood sugar and keep your body from spiking insulin to regulate everything.