ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-22-11, 11:48 AM
Banned

manny.telcom is on a distinguished road
Is there a difference in generic adderall and brand adderall?

I could be wrong but the genetics may be effecting me differently. Does anyone else have experience with both versions?
Old 02-22-11, 02:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Is there a difference in generic adderall and brand adderall?

Physically I can't differentiate between generic and name brand. I CAN differentiate between the manufacturer and how I physically feel.

My wallet is the only thing that can tell the difference between generic and name brand.
The Following User Says Thank You to twinch42085 For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (03-25-12)
Old 02-22-11, 02:04 PM
Contributor

novaprospekt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny.telcom View Post
I could be wrong but the genetics may be effecting me differently. Does anyone else have experience with both versions?
*Assuming you meant generics instead of "genetics" in your question:

You will find several people on this forum that will tell you that there are differences between the types of generics on the market, notably Teva/Barr and Sandoz generic IR.

I know StoicNate is pretty well-versed on this topic and there are sticky threads at the top that may address your specific conerns...

But in short, yes there are some subtle differences in generic Adderall IR formulations that in some people is very noticeable. The chemical is the same, but the binders and fillers that make up the rest of the pill are often very different than the original formulation devised by Shire.

Adderall XR, while I believe it is off-patent, is still manufactured under Shire Pharmaceuticals' supervision (Shire is the original developer of both XR and IR Adderall). I don't think Shire directly makes XR anymore, but their formulation is used true to form in the XR to my knowledge. My pill bottles for XR all say Shire and not any other company.

I can't help you too much with the specifics of IR generic differences but I do know there is some controversy with them (see the sticky threads). Hope this was at least somewhat helpful.
I am not a doctor. I am a 21yo college student studying biochemistry and pre-medicine. I have extensive interest in pharmacology, particularly in the fields of mental disorders. I hope my advice is helpful but always discuss problems or changes to medications with your doctor first!
The Following User Says Thank You to novaprospekt For This Useful Post:
StoicNate (02-22-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-11, 02:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

There's 3 different generic Adderall IR (Sandoz, Teva/Barr, and CorePharma), since there isn't a Brand IR.

The "Brand" Adderall XR Capsule is actually made by Teva/Barr (same manufacturer that makes generic XR), so the better bet is to get the generic XR if you like capsules.

In my opinion the best generic for Adderall IR is Sandoz, since it has the least side effects and is smoother than the rest of the generics.

But if you like a more speedy feeling Adderall IR with more side effects, then Teva/Barr might work for you.

CorePharma gave me a metal taste in my mouth and a lot more side effects than Teva/Barr and would never recommend it.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
425runner (03-23-12), StarStuff (02-25-11)
Old 02-22-11, 03:20 PM
Contributor

x6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of light

I remember reading a thread on this topic. I suggest you head over there for more info.
  • 40mg Adderall XR (AM)
  • 30mg Adderall IR (PM)
"Change the world or go home" - Microsoft employee slogan
Old 02-22-11, 05:04 PM

Mister Marcinko has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Wish woozy, I thought there was name brand adderall ir?? I asked my pharmacist last Friday and he said he would order the name brand adderall ir. But he could have been mistaken
Old 02-22-11, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,157 Times in 739 Posts
NorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really nice

I notice that Brand Adderall IR goes through my system smoother than the generic.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalAndy8 For This Useful Post:
FocusPocus10 (03-22-12)
Old 03-22-12, 10:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAndy8 View Post
I notice that Brand Adderall IR goes through my system smoother than the generic.
Finally someone giving some relevant feedback about the darn BRAND pill. For some reason this forum has a generic fetish and some people even falsely think there is no brand name adderall.
Old 03-25-12, 01:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice

Quote:
The "Brand" Adderall XR Capsule is actually made by Teva/Barr (same manufacturer that makes generic XR), so the better bet is to get the generic XR if you like capsules.

I would love to have your source for this. I have spent way to much of the last 2 days trying to figure out the real story about differences in formulas between brand and generic XR. I respond "perfectly" to Shire XR and am in the middle of finishing my PhD so a month of crappy brain function would be relatively disastrous right now. As I am running out of insurance coverage for prescriptions I am about to pay out of pocket and am really worried about trying the generic. When I was switched from Sandoz IR to Barr IR I basically lost a month of productivity and it took me weeks to figure out it was the change in meds. I was very resistant to the idea that there can be such a difference in generics but I definitely experienced it!

Everything I read in the last few days, looking for information published in the last few months says that Shire still manufactures XR and supplies it to Impax Global. I am still fuzzy on whether they supply it to Teva/Barr, but looking at their prescription information currently posted on all their websites, it seems that their formula is different than Shire and Impax which both have identical information with just Adderall replaced by MAS ER. Barr reports a slightly lower max concentration maxing an hour later compared to Shire.

I chose not to fill by script with generic today because they only had Barr generic. The pharmacist was a jerk about it too. Not at all interested in discussing the possible differences between manufacturers.

Blue Cross has just made the Shire Adderall XR its preferred brand and has stopped covering the generic form. They only recognize one other generic and say that it is an Authorized generic essentially identical to the original which does not actually cost any less so is not actually a generic. This changed Jan 1, 2012.

I am really confused because I believe people's responses to different versions of this medication, but all the available information says they are identical (with the possible recent exception of Barr?). Shire's financial reports still discuss manufacturing and shipping Adderall XR to Barr and Impax, but only getting royalties from Impax. Can these 2 companies be altering it once they receive it?

I did an extensive lit search (via Google Scholar) and found not a single study that has compared brand name with generic versions in double blind trials. Any paper that discusses differences in quality between brands always includes (perceived) in the text. Never actually acknowledging there may be a (true) difference in therapeutic benefits between patients. How demeaning!

This is really ridiculous. It shouldn't be this difficult to find out which medications are equivalent!
Old 03-25-12, 01:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPocus10 View Post
some people even falsely think there is no brand name adderall.
So which manufacturer produces "brand name adderall"? I see conflicting reports of this.

http://www.shire.com/shireplc/en/inv...irenews?id=544

Check out this link to Shire News.

Shire does not manufacture Adderall IR anymore, so, as it was they developed the brand, there is not longer a brand name Adderall. It is only in generic form. Perhaps one of the other manufacturers uses the same formula, or the closest formula to the original, but there is no non-generic.

This confuses the hell out of me because Adderall is still listed in online pharmacies and is significantly (3x) more expensive than mixed amphetamine salts.
Old 03-25-12, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

I don't think Barr/Teva can be the brand name manufacturer because I have a generic script filled with Barr and it was not more expensive than usual.
Old 03-25-12, 02:47 AM

Galactica75 is on a distinguished road

Shire still makes Aderrall XR brand and supplies the ingredients for the "authorized generics" to Global pharma and Teva, their patent for XR was extended for a few more years. Adderall IR brand is made by Teva which also bought out Barr pharma a while ago. Shire sold the rights of Adderall IR brand to Teva, and now Teva makes a generic and branded IR. Teva also owns Barr pharma, so anything made by Barr is techinically Teva. That's why people here call them "teva/barr" because they're the same company.

Last edited by Galactica75; 03-25-12 at 03:01 AM..
Old 03-25-12, 07:19 AM

Galactica75 is on a distinguished road

In case anyone wasn't sure if shire still owns adderall xr rights, here's the press release from years ago that shows they own XR it until 2019.

Basingstoke, UK -- November 28, 2001 -- Shire Pharmaceuticals Group plc announces that a formulation and composition patent relating to ADDERALL XR(TM) has been issued by the US Patent and Trademark Office, expiring in 2018.

ADDERALL XR is protected by the following FDA Orange Book listed patents: U.S. Reissued Patent RE41,148, which is a reissue of U.S. Patent No. 6,605,300, and U.S. Patent No. 6,322,819, which has recently reissued as U.S. Reissued Patent RE42,096.
Patent protection will expire in April 2019.

http://www.evaluatepharma.com/Univer...Story&id=15788
Old 03-25-12, 09:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactica75 View Post
Shire still makes Aderrall XR brand and supplies the ingredients for the "authorized generics" to Global pharma and Teva, their patent for XR was extended for a few more years. Adderall IR brand is made by Teva which also bought out Barr pharma a while ago. Shire sold the rights of Adderall IR brand to Teva, and now Teva makes a generic and branded IR. Teva also owns Barr pharma, so anything made by Barr is techinically Teva. That's why people here call them "teva/barr" because they're the same company.

If Teva/Barr makes 2 different IR formulas, why aren't they both listed as products on their website or in their 2012 catalog? They only list one. It is also really weird that they do not list generic XR as a product in 2012 either. This is really confusing.
Old 03-25-12, 11:40 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,133 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattail View Post
If Teva/Barr makes 2 different IR formulas, why aren't they both listed as products on their website or in their 2012 catalog? They only list one. It is also really weird that they do not list generic XR as a product in 2012 either. This is really confusing.
The reason they don't list XR in their product catalog is because Shire makes it and allocates a certain amount (based on projected sales) to them and to Global. Shire doesn't give Teva the materials to make XR, because legally, they can't. Global (Impax) entered into an agreement with Shire to pay them royalties for their sales of generic XR rather than paying Shire an amount up front.

As far as Teva's IR being branded. I noticed this on my insurance companies mail-order pharmacy website. Barr/Teva was listed as brand and the others were listed as generic. I suppose some insurance companies consider it brand because Barr originally obtained the rights to IR from Shire and those rights were passed on to Teva when they acquired Barr.

From Shire's 2011 Financial Report:
http://www.shire.com/shireplc/upload...Report2011.pdf Scroll to page 25, third paragraph under Adderall XR section discusses shipping finished products to Teva and Global (Impax):

Quote:
There are potentially different interpretations as to how shipments
of authorized generic ADDERALL XR to Teva and Impax should be
included in the Medicaid rebate calculation.
Page 26 discusses royalties paid to them for sales of generic XR:
Quote:
Royalty income decreased in 2011 compared to 2010 as lower
royalties from 3TC and ZEFFIX more than offset higher royalty income
from ADDERALL XR and FOSRENOL
And page 35--here's where it states they sell the finished generic version to Teva and also distribute it to Global (Impax):
Quote:
The Company sells authorized generic versions of ADDERALL XR
to Teva and Impax and currently receives royalties from Impax in
respect of sales of its authorized generic. Shire continues to sell the
branded version of ADDERALL XR.
Another interesting thing, Shire apparently uses one manufacturer to produce XR. It would be difficult for that manufacturer to stop production of brand XR to make a different version of generic XR:

Page 36
Quote:
A disruption to a product’s supply chain may result in the
Company being unable to continue marketing or developing
a product, or may result in the Company being unable to do
so on a commercially viable basis
"The Company sources some products from third party contract
manufacturers, and for certain products has its own manufacturing
capability. Although the Company dual-sources certain key products
and/or active ingredients. The Company currently relies on a single
source for production of the final drug product for each of ADDERALL
XR,