ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-24-11, 02:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

TKiMNSTR will become famous soon enough
job interview or drug test?

going for a job interview next week . when they go to do a drug test, do i tell them and bring in my prescription bottle, or tell them during the interview? this is the first time ive ever had to worry about a drug test... i dont want to get denied or looked at wierd by my potential employers because of meds, like im some kind of crack fiend...
Old 02-24-11, 03:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of
Re: job interview or drug test?

I was recently drug tested to work out of town. I was told not to tell them about any prescriptions that may influence the result of the test, and that once the results were given to the potential employer and they had any questions, then I would have the option of disclosing that information...if I wanted to.

Not sure how it is in the states, but nobody said anything to me at all about it, even though I'm pretty positive it would have shown up.

Also, ADHD medication shouldn't last in your system for more than 24 hours. Literally, if you took off a day or two from medication, it probably wouldn't even show up.

Its actually things like Marijuanna that stays in your system for longer periods of time.

I personally wouldn't disclose that information unless they bring it up, or until after you're hired...(if you feel so inclined)
The Following User Says Thank You to ronball For This Useful Post:
metzfanaz (02-24-11)
Old 02-24-11, 03:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronball View Post
I was recently drug tested to work out of town. I was told not to tell them about any prescriptions that may influence the result of the test, and that once the results were given to the potential employer and they had any questions, then I would have the option of disclosing that information...if I wanted to.

Not sure how it is in the states, but nobody said anything to me at all about it, even though I'm pretty positive it would have shown up.

Also, ADHD medication shouldn't last in your system for more than 24 hours. Literally, if you took off a day or two from medication, it probably wouldn't even show up.

Its actually things like Marijuanna that stays in your system for longer periods of time.

I personally wouldn't disclose that information unless they bring it up, or until after you're hired...(if you feel so inclined)
i take days off on the weekend, but im not going a day without it on an important day when ill be bombarded with a ton of questions: i dont want to be stuttering and wandering off when i answer. i dont even know if the drug test will take place right after the interview, or a few days/weeks afterwards.

and if they do find amphetamines in my system without telling them beforehand they might get the wrong notion that im an illicit user.

last job i had, they called me back for a drug test a month after the interview.
Old 02-24-11, 04:02 PM

Thanked 1,021 Times in 616 Posts
Tommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud of

I think that you should refuse to work for an employer who demands to examine samples of your urine.
Old 02-24-11, 04:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Wilhelm View Post
I think that you should refuse to work for an employer who demands to examine samples of your urine.
urine, saliva, blood, thats the norm here.

not gonna go from medical to mcdonalds just because i refused to **** in a cup bro
Old 02-24-11, 04:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of

Again, it's not likely that they'll be like: "Ok, this guy seems like an ideal candidate, but he has a discrepancy in his drug test, lets not ask him any questions about it, and move along".

I understand where you're coming from, but at the same time pick a reason they might not hire you:

1. You have ADHD, and you've openly told them it's a disability that requires medication.

2. You take drugs, but it's not ascertainable if it is medicated or not.

Few things: Interviews are entirely about selling yourself. You have to avoid bringing negative things about you into an interview...Heck, you even need to put a positive spin on the question: "What is your greatest weakness?"...by talking about medications and mental disorders, you're not focusing on your greatest assets. If you sell yourself well enough, they will be curious as to what the deal is with your medications, and if they ask you why you didn't tell them earlier you can say:

"I focus more on the positive aspects of my abilities and personality. I just wanted that to reflect in my interview what I will bring to this company, as the negative effects of my condition will not have any influence in my ability to meet or exceed your expectations.

I felt it more appropriate to disclose this condition if it ever were to become a problem in my performance, as I don't foresee it will."

Truth be told, I'm VERY good at job interviews, and rarely am I not offered a position. Don't think about it too much. Just let things flow.

Also, I'm speaking from a Canadian perspective here, and I'm unsure how it is in the states, but here we have the right to NOT tell our employer about it. We can choose to disclose our personal medical history if we'd like, that includes interviews. That information is to be made confidential at our so choosing with limited personnel. I don't have to tell anyone at work about my ADHD and my medications if I don't want to...but I do tell the project managers who are dictating my out-of-town schedule so I can make sure I make doctors appointments.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronball For This Useful Post:
TKiMNSTR (02-24-11)
Old 02-24-11, 06:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,254 Times in 950 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am an RN and almost all hospitals require a urine test. When I went back to work after taking a leave I was drug tested. I worried about it, too.

When they took me to have me pee in a cup, I told them, "A medicine I am on may cause a false positive." They told me not to worry about it and if it came back positive I could bring in my pill bottle or a prescription.

I was worried about it because I did not want to have to skip my medicine for a few days. Even though Ritalin is not technically an amphetamine it is similar enough to maybe cause a false positive and so will Adderall.

My pee came back clean and I had taken my med that same day.

I think because the dose a person takes is not large it may not show up, but if it does having a valid script will get you off the hook, and if they were THAT worried about it, they could pay to have it tested for the EXACT amphetamine in it. A more sophisticated test could differentiate Ritalin from Adderall from Meth from even something like Sudafed.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
Old 02-24-11, 07:49 PM

matius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i dont want to get denied or looked at wierd by my potential employers because of meds, like im some kind of crack fiend...
I've been dealing with this lately. I went from an interview to an on-site drug test where they never asked about prescription medications. I didn't know the test was gonna be then, but it was and so now I have to deal with it.

The more I read on the subject, the more I see what a gray area it really is. I completely understand wanting to dodge the test and skip the heat, but that doesn't sit well with me. It implies wrong doing. It implies guilt, and it also implies that I should be ashamed for my actions... as does someone who's trying to hide crack cocaine with synthetic urine.

My prescription is prescribed by a medical professional for treatment of this, that or the other. I came by way of it legally, and take it as suggested by my doctor. I've done nothing wrong.

Furthermore, and I wish someone with real working knowledge of this could explain, it's my understanding that employers aren't allowed - or even want - to know what you're on. That an MRO or intermediary should attempt to contact any false-positive applicant before sending a pass/fail along to the employer. Does this not fall under the American's with Disabilities Act?

So, again I really do understand it, and you may even be better off for it in the long-run, but I really can't understand why I should be made to resort to tip-toeing around in the shadows for something I receive monthly from a hospital (and a clean bill of health).

OP, are you some kind of crack fiend? I'm tired of *other people* making me feel that way, when I just think it helps and my doctor understands there is something called 'quality of life.' The fact that it reads on a test as an amphetamine might indicate an issue (not that the employer would ever see that), but in reality, well, it's legit & prescribed. This problem suggests that we live in a seriously flawed system - no surprise there - but they need to make this illegal in order for me to feel degenerate. Where is the guilt coming from...
Old 02-24-11, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

maggie403 is just really nicemaggie403 is just really nicemaggie403 is just really nicemaggie403 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKiMNSTR View Post
i take days off on the weekend, but im not going a day without it on an important day when ill be bombarded with a ton of questions: i dont want to be stuttering and wandering off when i answer. i dont even know if the drug test will take place right after the interview, or a few days/weeks afterwards.

and if they do find amphetamines in my system without telling them beforehand they might get the wrong notion that im an illicit user.

last job i had, they called me back for a drug test a month after the interview.
Most likely they won't ask for the sample right after the interview. Drug tests cost money, so most companies don't do them until they've had a chance to review your interview and decided they want to hire you. That might give you the opportunity to take a day off from your meds.

Either way, I agree with the others. You don't want to bring it up if since a good chance nothing will even show up on the test. Oddities in drug tests aren't that uncommon, if something shows up they will either ask you about it or ask you to come and take a second test - that would be the time to explain what meds you take.
The Following User Says Thank You to maggie403 For This Useful Post:
TKiMNSTR (02-24-11)
Old 02-24-11, 07:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

Komod0Dragon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Wilhelm View Post
That's not really an option in the United States. With about 10% of the population unemployed, we'll do just about anything to get a solid job even if that means a urine sample.
Old 02-24-11, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Right, but that doesn't mean it's true, and what if you're not given the opportunity? They might think your an illicit user but you have a prescription, and should be given a chance to explain... again, everything that I'm reading indicates that there are measures set-up to protect such a sensitive privacy issue, does anyone have anything different?
Old 02-24-11, 08:19 PM

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Tell the tester, give them the prescription number. It will show up on a test, and they won't report it to your employer if they know it's a false positive.

The employer does not get the results of the test, all they get is a "yes" or "no." Actually sharing the results of the test would constitute a HIPAA violation.
matius (02-24-11)
Old 02-24-11, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
Tell the tester, give them the prescription number. It will show up on a test, and they won't report it to your employer if they know it's a false positive.

The employer does not get the results of the test, all they get is a "yes" or "no." Actually sharing the results of the test would constitute a HIPAA violation.
Ok, a HIPAA violation, thanks. Now, what about when they don't tell you about the test nor ask about prescriptions? Should there be an MRO in the process, or is that a bunk understanding?
Old 02-24-11, 08:29 PM

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding in the US is that you have to consent to a drug test before being offered the job.

It is my experience that the drug testers have you fill out a form, on which you list any medications you're taking.

If they are surprising you with a drug test after you've been given the job, and then the drug tester isn't taking a medical history first, then yes, the system needs an overhaul. My understanding is that this isn't legal, but I'm not a lawyer so don't take me at my word on the legal aspect.

Except the HIPAA part, I've dealt with HIPAA long enough to know that part.
Old 02-24-11, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
My understanding in the US is that you have to consent to a drug test before being offered the job.

It is my experience that the drug testers have you fill out a form, on which you list any medications you're taking.

If they are surprising you with a drug test after you've been given the job, and then the drug tester isn't taking a medical history first, then yes, the system needs an overhaul. My understanding is that this isn't legal, but I'm not a lawyer so don't take me at my word on the legal aspect.

Except the HIPAA part, I've dealt with HIPAA long enough to know that part.
I was offered a job contingent on passing it. Reading about all the people that have had the opportunity to list their medications and/or been given a date for their test is making me angry - I didn't know about the test.

At the same time, I wasn't worried because I vaguely understood how the process *should* work; plus, at the end of the day, they can't get me on the legal tip... but reading about stories otherwise has been making me cycle through a mix of not-so-good emotions.