ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 08-16-04, 06:36 PM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
Question Strattera is expensive. any cheaper alternatives?

I have insurance and even with that my months supply of 60mg pills is $95. That just seems like a lot of money considering the prozac was $5 and the valium I got was $11. I've only been on Strattera for a week but it seems to be helping me out some, but I don't think I can afford to take it for the long run. I have an appointment coming up in 3 weeks, what should I ask my doctor for next? I had originally wanted Adderall but he said that in SC it is majorly controlled and he had to prescripe something else first, so should I try to switch to that instead? Any help would be appreciated...
Old 08-16-04, 08:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
I myself do not have insurance, And the cheapest meds I know of is Dexadrine..Here It cost something close to 50 bucks for generic. It works rather well for me . Good Luck.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 08-17-04, 06:15 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Your Dr is covering his a** by giving you Strattera first - I don't beleive that there is a law that makes him prescribe it before trying a stimulant, but since Dr's are watched, and scrips for controlled drugs (narcotics, stimulants, etc) are scrutinized, he's being carefull - In his shoes I would be too, it'd be a huge hassle having to explain every scrip you write to some knob from the DEA investigating you for prescribing too many controlled drugs (I've heard of this happening to Dr's who specialize in treating chronic pain).
Adderall is a very popular first line drug for ADHD and so is Dexedrine. Both are available as a generic in the U.S. so they should be more affordable. I've never taken Strattera, so I can't say first hand, but from what I've heard and read you may find that stimulants work better - of course every person is different. (I take Dexedrine myself and it works well for me)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-04, 07:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Vero is on a distinguished road
I take Strattera and it would have been expensive for me too. Since it's pretty new still most insurance companies won't cover it. My doctor wrote a letter to my insurance company stating that I was allergic to stimulants or something like that and they now cover my Strattera. I pay $20 copay for it. See if your doc will write to your insurance and tell them you cannot take stimulants. They may help you out with the fees.
Old 08-17-04, 07:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Have you contacted your insurance company and asked them why the Straterra is so much more expensive?