ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-02-11, 02:20 AM

rdawg is on a distinguished road
Pharmacy gave me wrong dosage, help!

I'm a 20 year old college student that was diagnosed with ADHD july of 2010. I've been taking 15 mg adderall xr and life has been great since i started medication.
This time when i went to pick up my prescription, i realized when i got home that the pharmacy gave me 25 mg adderall xr instead of 15 mg (the doc wrote me a 15 mg prescription, i saw.)
I'm really not sure what to do about this. I understand that there is a strict limit of a 30 day supply per month to get refilled, and i probably couldn't get refilled with my proper 15 mg dosage. Should i call my doctors? I don't know if i should because, if i do, there is nothing they can really do about it right? I don't really like confrontation/blaming people, so would it be okay if i just stuck it out with the 25 mg xr and maybe just split the pills? I just dont want my doc's office finding out that i didn't tell them about the mixup, and them thinking that I'm abusing my drugs (which i'm not).
My doc before HAD said that i could take up to 30 mg a day (2 pills of 15 mg) and i maybe did once when i was feeling hectic, and i was fine. So i don't think 25 mg would harm my body?

Any insight about this situation would be appreciated...I can't believe the pharmacy filled my script wrong! I feel like i don't want to cause hassle by telling the pharmacy/doctors office that my script is wrong (when they can't really do anything about it) but i also feel bad for lying and taking the wrong dosage.
Old 03-02-11, 02:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

StarStuff will become famous soon enough
Re: Pharmacy gave me wrong dosage, help!

It's the pharmacist's job to correctly give you your prescribed medication. Why do you feel so anxious about going back to the pharmacist and telling them something like "I'm sorry, but you gave me the wrong dosage for my medication. My doctor wrote me for 15 mg but you gave me 25." It could have been a handwriting issue, or it could have just been the pharmacist's fault. Either way, as long as you didn't take any yet, you should be able to take it back and exchange it for the correct dosage. Why don't you call them and find out?

You haven't done anything wrong, you just got the wrong dosage for your medication. Just go ask them to replace it.
Old 03-02-11, 03:09 AM

I already opened a pill and took half. I feel bad because I want to keep the 25 mg prescription and just split the pills so i can save money (because then it will last me about twice as long). I know this is lawfully wrong but i don't think I'm doing anything morally wrong since i'm not abusing the medication. I'm just scared i'll get caught and people will think i'm abusing my medicine, taking a higher dosage to "get the high"
and i don't really have time to go back to the pharmacy (i have no car, full time engineering college student, broke). I guess what I'm asking is would it be 'okay' if i just kept the wrong bottle this time. Like, what would be the consequences.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-11, 05:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

I can see why it seems appealing to split these doses in half to last you through next month as well to save you money. If you want to make sure that you won't be seen as abusing the medication, perhaps you can tell your doctor that you got prescribed too high so you're splitting them in half. You can tell him that you won't need a prescription for next month, so he knows you can't be abusing it. Just an idea.
Old 03-02-11, 09:36 AM

After50 is just really niceAfter50 is just really niceAfter50 is just really niceAfter50 is just really nice

If there was an error on what was given to you, the pharmacy will, even after using one pill, will cover the replacement. This like major $$ liability for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
I already opened a pill and took half. I feel bad because I want to keep the 25 mg prescription and just split the pills so i can save money (because then it will last me about twice as long). I know this is lawfully wrong but i don't think I'm doing anything morally wrong since i'm not abusing the medication. I'm just scared i'll get caught and people will think i'm abusing my medicine, taking a higher dosage to "get the high"
and i don't really have time to go back to the pharmacy (i have no car, full time engineering college student, broke). I guess what I'm asking is would it be 'okay' if i just kept the wrong bottle this time. Like, what would be the consequences.
What I am curious about is that if you already knew what you were going to do and not return the pills, why as you asking what you should do on the forum? The last place I would take medical advice from would be a forum with a bunch of strangers on it where not a small number of them seem to like to experiment with their drugs.
Old 03-02-11, 09:46 AM
Banned

Vraiment will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm a 20 year old college student that was diagnosed with ADHD july of 2010. I've been taking 15 mg adderall xr and life has been great since i started medication.
This time when i went to pick up my prescription, i realized when i got home that the pharmacy gave me 25 mg adderall xr instead of 15 mg (the doc wrote me a 15 mg prescription, i saw.)
I'm really not sure what to do about this. I understand that there is a strict limit of a 30 day supply per month to get refilled, and i probably couldn't get refilled with my proper 15 mg dosage. Should i call my doctors? I don't know if i should because, if i do, there is nothing they can really do about it right? I don't really like confrontation/blaming people, so would it be okay if i just stuck it out with the 25 mg xr and maybe just split the pills? I just dont want my doc's office finding out that i didn't tell them about the mixup, and them thinking that I'm abusing my drugs (which i'm not).
My doc before HAD said that i could take up to 30 mg a day (2 pills of 15 mg) and i maybe did once when i was feeling hectic, and i was fine. So i don't think 25 mg would harm my body?

Any insight about this situation would be appreciated...I can't believe the pharmacy filled my script wrong! I feel like i don't want to cause hassle by telling the pharmacy/doctors office that my script is wrong (when they can't really do anything about it) but i also feel bad for lying and taking the wrong dosage.
Just take 25 and enjoy the high...Joking. Open each capsule and empty 2/5 of the content aproximatly in a vial and close back. You will have 300 extra mg lol...
Old 03-02-11, 11:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Take them back and show them. Misdispensing a controlled substance is a big deal and they will correct the problem. You won't be penalized for having taken them. They will replace them.

I imagine they probably misread the script due to poor handwriting, or something similar. Pharmacy errors happen, but only rarely with controlled substances.
Old 03-02-11, 11:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

Wait a minuite, your only allowed a 30 day supply?!?! I get 60-120 day supplies (usually 90). Awwww, the public healthcare system you yanks don't know what you're missing.

But, you should have taken them back as soon as you noticed the mixup.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Old 03-02-11, 04:47 PM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

First of all, for Adderall XR, don't open a pill and take half! The beads inside are different, and you want to make sure you have a proper proportion of the two types of beads.

Second, you have done nothing wrong, and I don't think anyone will look at you suspiciously if you point out that you actually need a *lower* dose. The pharmacy is required to keep the original prescription on record. Go back to the pharmacy with the 25mg pills and exchange them for the 15mg that you should have gotten. Also call your doctor to let him/her know the situation, as the pharmacy may be required to talk to the doctor first.

As far as the 30 day limit, I'm almost positive it wouldn't apply to your case.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLazyGal For This Useful Post:
StarStuff (03-02-11)
Old 03-02-11, 04:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

It's the pharmacy's fault and you have the right to go back and demand the correct dosage as soon as possible.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 03-02-11, 08:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLazyGal View Post
First of all, for Adderall XR, don't open a pill and take half! The beads inside are different, and you want to make sure you have a proper proportion of the two types of beads.
This is an excellent point and I can't believe I didn't consider it!
Old 03-02-11, 09:36 PM
Banned

Vraiment will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStuff View Post
This is an excellent point and I can't believe I didn't consider it!
No it's not. Each Adderall XR has about 150 bids. It is statistically unlikely to obtain a heterogeneous sample when splitting a dose in half. That's how they fill capsules in the industry, they mix both types of bids in the wanted proportions and pour the mix automatically into the capsules. The chance to obtain a 35%+ deviation from the mean value is found by integrating the given gaussian function and the obtained value is smaller than the chance of winning the lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLazyGal View Post
The green text is 100% true and conforms to proper usage guidelines. The text in red however, provides a less than laughable reason for the existing guidelines.
Old 03-02-11, 09:44 PM
Contributor

toothpick has a spectacular aura abouttoothpick has a spectacular aura about

pharmacy's always have potential to make errors maybe your doc's ones look like twos either way its not to late to correct this simply by calling the pharmacy and asking them. as for the one you took you will figure it out im sure. could of took it without reading it as you thought it was the correct dose right? either way if you make a few phone calls to the right people im sure it can be resolved extremly easily. the pharmacy is most likely in the wrong here and would be most likely more then willing to fix it without making a big stink out of it. Do'nt quote me on that though but if i didnt read my bottle when i last picked up my scrip i would of walked out with someone else's painkillers! (for the record there first name sounded like my last one when they called it out) just make sure you let your doctor know at the least and they will surely understand give you the best solution and prevent alot of problems one month from now. its really up to you to decide the best course of action for this situation and i can only make suggestions.

Last edited by toothpick; 03-02-11 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: one more ting
Old 03-02-11, 10:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've decided that I'm just going to keep this bottle for a month. Not going to call anyone; it's too much of a hassle.
Old 03-04-11, 12:20 AM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've decided that I'm just going to keep this bottle for a month. Not going to call anyone; it's too much of a hassle.
I'm not sure that's a good method. If the lower dosage does the trick, you don't want to be pushed to a higher dosage and become accustomed to that dosage simply because of a pharmacy mistake.