ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Focalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate)

Old 03-02-11, 03:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

ccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the rough
Focalin vs. Adderall

Anyone have any opinions on which would be better for inattentive? I know it's not the same for everyone, but I am curious to see what the opinions are on the comparison that can be made between the two, if any.

My pdoc wants me to try Focalin. So far the only one I've tried is Strattera and it was awful (my fault though because she only recommended it since I was scared about trying stims). She said the Focalin is less likely to cause side effects.

Can't find too much info, opinions, etc. on Focalin, and the opinions I've read on other sites tend to refer to the hyperactive type and/or children.

(She wants to try Focalin XR, but I am interested in info on IR too.)

Last edited by ccrose; 03-02-11 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Addition of XR vs. IR
Old 03-02-11, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Focalin vs. Adderall

IR forms of ADHD meds are less expensive and usually works better than XR.
I personally always get IR and I know exactly when it starts working/wearing off.
The possibility of splitting IR tablets to a smaller dose is also an advantage.

You can see how Focalin affects you and if you don't like it you can always ask for Adderall later on.

Are you an anxious type of person?

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
ccrose (03-02-11)
Old 03-02-11, 03:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

ccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
IR forms of ADHD meds are less expensive and usually works better than XR.
I personally always get IR and I know exactly when it starts working/wearing off.
The possibility of splitting IR tablets to a smaller dose is also an advantage.

You can see how Focalin affects you and if you don't like it you can always ask for Adderall later on.

Are you an anxious type of person?
Thankfully, no that's not a problem I have. I do have comorbid depression, but not having too much of a problem with it now. When I do have problems with it the only med that worked in the past was Wellbutrin... looking back on it that should have been a sign.

Thanks for the info. I'll talk to her about the IR. I would like more control over when I take it because my schedule is very different on some days than others. Plus money is a bit of an issue, too since I don't have insurance so that's good to know about the generic.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-11, 03:48 PM

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrose View Post
Thankfully, no that's not a problem I have. I do have comorbid depression, but not having too much of a problem with it now. When I do have problems with it the only med that worked in the past was Wellbutrin... looking back on it that should have been a sign.

Thanks for the info. I'll talk to her about the IR. I would like more control over when I take it because my schedule is very different on some days than others. Plus money is a bit of an issue, too since I don't have insurance so that's good to know about the generic.
All ADHD IR medication have generics.

The top reason why Doctors are trying to prescribe XR is to make money from it, since it's brand name/patented which means money from the manufacturer to the doctor.

I rather save money and take smaller doses throughout the day.

Good luck with the appointment.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
ccrose (03-02-11)
Old 03-02-11, 05:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
All ADHD IR medication have generics.

The top reason why Doctors are trying to prescribe XR is to make money from it, since it's brand name/patented which means money from the manufacturer to the doctor.

I rather save money and take smaller doses throughout the day.

Good luck with the appointment.
Thanks, yes I rather save money as well, and if I use the reminder app on my phone I don't have any problem taking multiple doses.

I'll ask about the IR, for sure.
Old 03-31-11, 11:56 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Adderall or focalin ?