ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 03-04-11, 03:57 PM
Jr Member

batuhanb85 is on a distinguished road
Ritalin does not work without smoking tobacco (need knowledge and help)

I'm on ritalin currently 10mg x 2 (morning and afternoon),

Before taking ritalin, I have been smoking for 7 years. But smoking was only a social issue for me, only in daytime, after the meals or during coffee breaks with friends.

Actually, I never desired when I was at home or lonely, because it was making me down and depressed. ADHD (primarily inattentive) symptoms were always with me and smoking hasn't made improvement about my ADHD ever.

When I first used Ritalin, it worked like a charm. Then, I planned a healthy and regular life for me and wanted to quit smoking. I never smoked for 4 months , but during this period Ritalin effect diminished day by day.

I thought that some kind of norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (Wellbutrin) may be helpful, as it is also used as cessation aid for smoking, but it didn't work. I also tried modiodal, selegiline, vitamin B complex, L-Tyrosine, fish oil, ginseng, gotu kola in different combinations, but nothing helped. Then I started smoking unwillingly after for months only for improving my focus, concentration and motivation.

Briefly, Ritalin and smoking tobacco only helps my ADHD when used together.

Does anyone have an idea about the mechanism that may them work together? I'm searching for another solution, because I don't want to smoke for the rest of my life.Any suggestion and help will be appreciated.

(By the way, Adderall is not an option for me, because amphetamine and its derivatives are not available in my country)
Old 03-04-11, 05:42 PM
Contributor

toothpick has a spectacular aura abouttoothpick has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ritalin does not work without smoking tobacco (need knowledge and help)

ahh, smoking when taking meds can kind of affect your reward system.
I think but don't know for sure that smoking might affect certain receptors or neurotransmitters something like that.
so when you stopped smoking aside from possibly a tolerence (to ritalin of course) developing as 4 months sounds easily like enough time for it too happen your brain stopped receiving these extra effects. (if you smoked at all during even possibly quit just before starting as cigarettes can stay hard wired to you for quite some time easily after 7 years.
like i said im not to sure on my facts word for word but doesnt it bind to the dopamine?
might be thinking of thc well i found a random quote on here for how smoking works. im sure after finding out how ritalin works from someone else who has the time, then you'll finally have some unreliable internet answer. =-P

"
the nicotine molecule is shaped like a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. Acetylcholine and its receptors are involved in many functions, including muscle movement, breathing, heart rate, learning, and memory.

They also cause the release of other neurotransmitters and hormones that affect your mood, appetite, memory, and more. When nicotine gets into the brain, it attaches to acetylcholine receptors and mimics the actions of acetylcholine.

Nicotine also activates areas of the brain that are involved in producing feelings of pleasure and reward. Recently, scientists discovered that nicotine raises the levels of a neurotransmitter called dopamine in the parts of the brain that produce feelings of pleasure and reward.

Dopamine, which is sometimes called the pleasure molecule, is the same neurotransmitter that is involved in addictions to other drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Researchers now believe that this change in dopamine may play a key role in all addictions. This may help explain why it is so hard for people to stop smoking.' got that off some goverment site on drugs.

Last edited by toothpick; 03-04-11 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: wrong choice of wording
Old 03-04-11, 05:48 PM
Contributor

toothpick has a spectacular aura abouttoothpick has a spectacular aura about

that being said you should probably jsut ask your doctor in the long run anyways. but i found a quick little quote to use on ritalin im sure after that i will make alot of sense to you. even though i could of just said cause smokings addicting! (got this quote from wiki)

"Methylphenidate belongs to the piperidine class of compounds and increases the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain through reuptake inhibition of the monoamine transporters. It also increases the release of dopamine and norepinephrine. MPH possesses structural similarities to amphetamine, and, though it is less potent, its pharmacological effects are even more closely related to those of cocaine."
so most likely its to do with the reward system in your brain expecting it whenever as its suprisingly addicting but seriously i only ripped 2 quotes off in a minute cant really compare that to someones advice who can legally say they know what there talking about and run the risk of malpractice. in other words i dont have the right answer guranteed and am not by any means a medical professional.
batuhanb85 (03-06-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-11, 06:20 AM

disasmblur is on a distinguished road

This may be caused(in part anyway) by the monoamine oxidase(MAO) inhibitors(MAOIs) found in tobacco. MAOs are enzymes that basically "break down" a certain class of chemicals called "monoamines". Dopamine, for example, is a monoamine. MAOIs inhibit MAOs from performing their function. Since the MAOIs aren't breaking down the monoamines in your body this allows those monoamines to build up over time. As "toothpick" posted, Ritalin works by increasing dopamine as well. So your Ritalin is increasing the amount of dopamine produced and the MAOIs in the tobacco are keeping the dopamine from being destroyed by MAOs.

I've been untreated for ADD until a little over a week ago(31 years old now) and have smoked for 18 years. I've quit a few times only to start back up again. I would get over the nicotine addiction without too much trouble but found that my mind would race even more uncontrollably(along with other typical ADD symptoms) when I didn't smoke. This would go on for months after quitting until I couldn't stand it any longer. Tobacco alone doesn't do a great deal for me but it does definitely have an impact. Until now I'd been in denial that I had ADD even though I display a number of obvious symptoms which have a terrible impact on my life. Last week I finally saw a doctor and I'm currently on 10mg Ritalin 2x a day. Unfortunately I don't think this is the right drug for me since I feel little effect at the current dosage but I have unpleasant side-effects like nausea and fatigue which I'm afraid will only get worse with a higher dose.

I would highly suggest that you talk to your doctor to see if he can adjust your dosage or something. It is my most sincere hope that once I find a compatible treatment for my ADD I will be able to say goodbye to this disgusting, destructive and expensive habit that is smoking. I hope that you can find a better alternative than tobacco for treating your own symptoms!
Old 03-17-11, 08:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I don't really think you will find a replacement. Tobacco just like you said basically adds to the effect a bit. For example, in college if I were to study and be taking ritalin I had troubles calming down. I would get stressed and it would feel like I didnt' know which task to execute first regarding making outlines for studying especially for comprehensive final exams. Interestingly, this effect usually was better when I had comprehensive subject matter to review and I did not know which chapter or which parts in chapters to pay close attention to. So, upon taking a dip of tobacco this symptom would vanish upon five minutes of dipping the tobbacco. There has been nothing like this that has mimiced the effect to this day. I have not dipped since college. I think in my life and in my career I may advance further and develop better focus by picking up dipping tobacco once again.
Old 03-17-11, 10:09 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,771 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that I smoke more on adderall. I think tobacco has a synergistic effect on concentration when used with stims.
The Following User Says Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
MessyMind (03-20-11)
Old 03-17-11, 03:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

MrObvious is on a distinguished road

It may be you need a higher dose as your body is getting used to it. 10 isn't enough but 15 or 20 mgs of Ritalin work fine.