ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 03-09-11, 10:14 PM
Jr Member

ToastedBunny is on a distinguished road
Unhappy From Adderall to Vyvanse

Okay, I'm not sure how long this post will be.. but I have a lot of experiences I want to share; mostly about Adderall. Just so you know, I am 20 years old, female, and I'm 5'5"; weighing 140 lbs.

I JUST switched from taking Adderall IR to Vyvanse today, I ran out of my Adderall prescription last night. I was prescribed 60mg; 3 x 20mg a day. I started from 20mg daily, to 40mg a month later.. and then found myself asking for a higher dosage of 60mg. Well apparently, I have a problem with staying away from amphetamines because yesterday was the third month I ran out a week, maybe even earlier, of my prescription. It got to where the 'euphoric' feeling of Adderall that I so loved would end sooner and sooner. At first it lasted about two hours on a normal day after taking each 20mg tablet, to only 10 minutes. Sometimes, I took anywhere from my prescribed dosage of 60mg -to 140mg a day; with an average of FIVE tablets a day... making it 100mg. Yes, my heart rate increased dramatically after about the fourth pill each time, but I could care less as long as I felt happy. It got to where I would only get 4-6 hours of sleep daily (not even at night) with frequent all nighters. I would stay up over 24 hours, sometimes even 48. That's where I would feel like.. ****. I'm pretty sure I've experienced psychosis more than twenty times within the past two months. Sleep deprivation is NOT a good feeling at all. I started getting weird body sensations, like there are little fuzzy hairs sitting on my skin, annoying the hell out of me. My stomach would feel as if there was a 20 pound weight sitting on it. My eyes felt as if they were going to fall out any second. My throat and mouth felt dry, like I had been eating chalk all day. My head hair was getting so bothersome, I would sit there and run my fingers through it all day and night, each time pulling out more than four hairs.. I'm surprised I'm not balding. I would sometimes go a week or more without taking a shower, my skin would get SO itchy I couldn't take it anymore so I HAD to take a shower eventually. Around 5 AM I would get wired feeling and start picking at my skin, causing red marks EVERYWHERE I could get at, especially my chest. I'd get so distracted sitting at my computer over endless hours.. and hours, looking at NOTHING important. Just reading bull****, useless bull**** when I should have been working on my commissions (I draw for people online). I weighed, 6 months ago, 185 lbs. CURRENTLY, I weigh 140.. meaning I have lost 45 lbs ALL do to my addiction to Adderall. I never exercised or ate healthy. In fact, I barely ate at all. I look like a damn crack addict with my eyes sunken in and dark lids. I guess that's what Speed addicts look like, which was basically me..

At first I thought I was fine, and I was for the first 3 months of taking Adderall. I could control myself. But then I couldn't and kept telling myself, "One more pill can't hurt... I'll just take less towards the end of my prescription." That one more pill each day turned into TWO more pills each day.. then THREE more pills each day.. to, "****.. I ran out." and a horrid next several days of no amphetamines to live on. Withdrawal symptoms SUCK ***. I never knew my body could feel so horrible, ever!

I finally admitted to myself after abusing this drug; that it was no longer working and it was making me feel miserable instead of 'good' like it used to. I told my psychiatrist.. who then immediately wanted to take me off all stimulants. That would have been hell for the next month or two. I told her my mom would distribute my meds to me everyday, making sure I didn't take more than was prescribed. I told her about Vyvanse; that people said it didn't give them the initial 'rush' Adderall did.. thus more-so preventing the addiction effect. She agreed and quickly put me on Vyvanse.. 40mg daily. So basically I'm going from taking around 100mg of Adderall a day, to 40mg of another stimulant. That's losing 60mg a day. I'm REALLY hoping it won't give me horrid withdrawal symptoms. And I'm also hoping it will still make me motivated like Adderall did for me the first couple months. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Adderall. I just can't handle it, my personality won't let me.. and I analyze everything to death; my mood, my boyfriend, my friends, my actions. EVERYTHING.

So far I feel weird. I'm getting the weird fuzzy sensations, my hair is bothering me.. I feel kinda sick to my stomach and my body feels numb. I don't know if this is the withdrawal symptoms of not taking Adderall anymore, or what. I had plenty of sleep last night so I don't think it's sleep deprivation.

Do any of you think I'll be fine taking Vyvanse? Not abusing it that is.. Just taking my regular prescribed dosage daily. I'm getting scared from reading peoples' reviews on it, they say they have bad side effects switching from Adderall to Vyvanse. Why couldn't I have just obeyed my prescribed amount? Why am I like that? I hate it. And I'm going to hate myself even more if this drug turns to crap.. I won't be able to go back on my normal dose of Adderall without my psychiatrist thinking I'm just going to turn into an addict again.

What are your opinions? By the way, I've NEVER been addicted to a drug before. I've ALWAYS taken my prescribed dosage as given. I've never done hardcore drugs either. And I've never smoked cigarettes, gotten drunk nor smoked weed. Amphetamines are apparently an exception.
Old 03-10-11, 03:27 AM

Kimmy1989 is on a distinguished road
Re: From Adderall to Vyvanse

So sorry that happened to you. I kind of know the feeling. I've taken both adderall and vyvanse. At first i've only taken adderall for a week but now I take it every day as a booster in the afternoon for my Vyvanse.

Unfortunately I think you are having some withdrawal symptoms. I've never had withdrawal from my adderall or vyvanse but I take it according to how it is prescribed to me. When people do take these medications in high doses, it does cause withdrawal symptoms when they stop suddenly. I know you were honest with your doctor but I wonder if she could have tapered you off of it and then start on the vyvanse.

Vyvanse 40mg does not equal Adderall 40mg. When I was first prescribed adderall, I did have a sense of euphoria and I was scared for myself that I would become somewhat addicted to it or start craving it since I have used drugs when I was younger and I do smoke cigarettes now. Then my doctor switched me to vyvanse a week later and i do prefer it over adderall. The ride is much more smoother. No crashes and no euphoria. Just a slight less irritability then I usually have normally and the ability to focus in class and stay awake. I do kind of feel dependent on my Vyvanse now, only because I have a extremely hard time waking up in the morning and it helps me very much to wake up if I take it 30min before I actually have to wake up.

Personally I love vyvanse and prefer it over adderall even though I take both every day. As time passes and you start feeling better from the withdrawal symptoms, I think you'll like the vyvanse wayyy better. The only problem for me was that it did not last long enough for me and therefore my doctor added the adderall into my afternoons.

The side effects that I have with vyvanse is just mostly dry mouth which gum will cure. And every since the occurring dry mouth, i've taken my oral heath very seriously and take care of my mouth better then i've ever have. I believe I had the same side effect with adderall too. Loss of appetite was also one for me. I LOVE food and would eat it even if I was full, but now I am disgusted with how much i used to eat. I have lost weight, but in my case its not bad at all since I've been struggling to lose the freshman 15 i've gained 3yrs ago.

I wish you luck and hope that everything will get better. You have to give it time. Everyone has a weak moment in their lives and this just happened to be yours. I've done waaayyy worse things so don't beat yourself up too much. At least your doctor did not cancel EVERYTHING and be completely open with her. Maybe express to her the disappointment you have with yourself because of the situation and she can help you work it out. GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-10-11, 03:36 AM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice
Re: From Adderall to Vyvanse

I could've sworn I already replied to this thread..... oh, of course it's posted twice. Here's what I already wrote on the other thread:

First of all, you might get better responses to this in the "Addiction and substance abuse" forum, but I'll give it a whirl:

You say you're going from 100mg of Adderall per day to 40mg of Vyvanse, but you should know that the dosages of Adderall and Vyvanse aren't equal. The 40mg of Vyvanse you're on is closer to 20mg of Adderall, so that's actually a reduction of 80mg per day instead of 60mg.

I've taken both Adderall and Vyvanse and I haven't experienced any significant side-effects of Vyvanse compared to Adderall. I think it's going to be up to you to decide if you can handle the medicine, not what kind of medicine you take.

I actually understand where you're coming from, I've periodically done the same thing with my medication and taken 300mg or so of Vyvanse in a 24hr period. The only difference is that I do it because I have things to do (schoolwork, exam, etc), not just to get high. Of course, that doesn't make it any less wrong, but I'm able to set my priorities and not make it into a problem.

Work on your behavior, responsibilities, priorities, etc., not on deciding which medicine is better to take.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Sponsored Links