ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-12-11, 01:43 PM

gettinsomewhere is on a distinguished road
Differences between Teva/Barr IR and brand name Adderall

I am thinking about giving generic IR another try since brand name is so expensive. I did an investigation on the the ingredients in the brand name Adderall and the generic Barr/Teva formulas. The only differences that I found is that on two of the ingredients in the brand name (ie) amphetamine aspartate and amphetamine sulfate there is a term called "racemic" in front of both of these ingredients .. So I speculate if they may be the same thing basically, but Teva/Barr left off the first term "racemic" on their ingredient list.

If my speculation is accurate then the side-effects I had (ie) headaches, brain fog, when I first started the generic could have been me adjusting to the medicine in my system??? Thoughts?

If I can take the generic IR then I will save a ton of money.. So that would be great. Right now I am trying the generic XR 30 mg 2X a day, it works good for about 2-3 hours then wears off and during it's weakening state I feel kind of moody and I have bad acid reflux.
Old 03-12-11, 02:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Differences between Teva/Barr IR and brand name Adderall

Both XR and IR are racemic. They have the same chemical ingredients.

There's also 3 different kinds of IR generics: Sandoz, Teva/Barr, and CorePharma.

The smoothest is Sandoz, but Teva/Barr is good for people that like a big "kick" and a little more PNS (heart/sweating) side effects.
I would never recommend CorePharma to anyone. It has the most side effects and doesn't feel therapeutic at all.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
425runner (03-21-12), The Absent Mind (03-14-11), x6eze (01-04-12)
Old 03-12-11, 02:34 PM

So generic Teva/Barr IR is the same as Adderall name brand? They just left off the racemic term?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-11, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

All adderall is 1/2 dextroamphetamine and 1/2 racemic amphetamine. Racemic simply means that it is a mixture of the levorotary and dextrorotary stereoisomers. The end results is 3/4 dex ampethamine and 1/4 levo amphetamine.
Old 03-13-11, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinsomewhere View Post
So generic Teva/Barr IR is the same as Adderall name brand? They just left off the racemic term?
There isn't a brand name Adderall IR. You will only pay more for "brand", but will get a generic anyway. A brand Adderall IR doesn't exist.

The only generics available are: Teva/Barr, Sandoz, and CorePharma.

CVS has Teva/Barr and can special order Sandoz if you ask them to.

Costco's pharmacy has Teva/Barr. It's the cheapest pharmacy if you don't have insurance.

Walgreens has CorePharma (But it's the worst generic)

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 03-13-11, 10:09 PM

Well .. When I would get name brand it said Adderall on the bottle. What does Kroger have? I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday to tell them I want to go back to the IR .. This XR does not last long, it makes me moody, and I have trouble sleeping.
Old 03-14-11, 06:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

The Absent Mind will become famous soon enough

+1 about CorePharma. I got some of that a couple weeks back because Rite Aid was out of the regular Teva generic. Didn't think twice about it, I had come to the conclusion that the differences were generally minor and I ahd taken this type of med long enough to not get caught up in the whole generic debate.

Well, consider me mollified. At first I didn't know what the heck was up. I gradually, over several days, felt more and more horrible! Finally, it dawned on me that it might be the generic, so I dug up one of my Tevas from the safe and took that instead of one of my CorePharmas. My god, the difference was rediculous.

Within about 30-40 min, the fog that had crept so slowly that I hadn't realize it was so severe was lifted and I felt normal again. I didn't have any more Tevas after that, so about 4.5 hours later I took the CorePharma again (all had been 10mg). Sure enough I was sitting in my chair with my head cocked to one side staring off into space for about 20 minutes before I realized that I what I was even doing! I was almost drooling!

That stuff is poison. I don't know how they could give it to children who wouldn't know what was going on... just sit there in class all dazed all day and performing far worse than with nothing! Once again I agree with StoicNate: terrible, terrible stuff. O.O
StoicNate (01-04-12), x6eze (01-04-12)
Old 01-04-12, 06:16 PM
Contributor

x6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
There isn't a brand name Adderall IR. You will only pay more for "brand", but will get a generic anyway. A brand Adderall IR doesn't exist.

The only generics available are: Teva/Barr, Sandoz, and CorePharma.

CVS has Teva/Barr and can special order Sandoz if you ask them to.

Costco's pharmacy has Teva/Barr. It's the cheapest pharmacy if you don't have insurance.

Walgreens has CorePharma (But it's the worst generic)
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I think its important to clarify that adderall XR has a brand-name. As a matter of fact I dug up an old pharmacy receipt for adderall XR from before the ongoing shortage, that reads: "BRAND for AMPHETAMINE(SINGLE-ENTITY Mfg:SHIRE US I".
  • 40mg Adderall XR (AM)
  • 30mg Adderall IR (PM)
"Change the world or go home" - Microsoft employee slogan
Old 01-04-12, 06:22 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,129 Times in 7,188 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6eze View Post
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I think its important to clarify that adderall XR has a brand-name. As a matter of fact I dug up an old pharmacy receipt for adderall XR from before the ongoing shortage, that reads: "BRAND for AMPHETAMINE(SINGLE-ENTITY Mfg:SHIRE US I".
You are right about brand name XR. Shire still manufactures XR--both name brand and generic. Nate was talking about IR, not XR.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 01-04-12, 06:30 PM
Contributor

x6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
You are right about brand name XR. Shire still manufactures XR--both name brand and generic. Nate was talking about IR, not XR.
Yea, but seeing as this thread has become a top result in any google searches about generic adderall, I thought I would spell it out to avoid any confusion.
  • 40mg Adderall XR (AM)
  • 30mg Adderall IR (PM)
"Change the world or go home" - Microsoft employee slogan
The Following User Says Thank You to x6eze For This Useful Post:
BR549 (01-04-12)
Old 01-04-12, 06:35 PM
Super Mooderator

BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6eze View Post
yea, but seeing as this thread has become a top result in any google searches about generic adderall, i thought i would spell it out to avoid any confusion.

"no talk
no, talk
~Abi
Old 03-21-12, 12:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

So yal are claiming there is 0 difference between teva/barr generic adderall and their "brand" name adderall? How can that be? I call bs, and will find out soon as I am about to acquire the brand name adderall ir.
Old 03-21-12, 12:51 PM
Super Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPocus10 View Post
So yal are claiming there is 0 difference between teva/barr generic adderall and their "brand" name adderall? How can that be? I call bs, and will find out soon as I am about to acquire the brand name adderall ir.
There is no difference in generic and brand XR. Both are manufactured by Shire in the same facilities and at the same time. Shire provides Global and Teva with the finished product. They merely distribute it under their name and pay a royalty to Shire for what they sell.

Now, if you mean IR, there are people who say that there is a difference in brands

"no talk
no, talk
~Abi
Old 07-10-12, 08:49 PM
Jr Member

NHite143 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPocus10 View Post
FocusPocus,

How did everything turn out? Did you find that there was a difference?
Old 07-13-12, 12:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

The barr "brand adderall" was differently shaped and had a dp on the back. It felt marginally more effective than their generic amp salts, the pill was more firm and hard, however it was still far more sedating and weak than sandoz. Same sweet gross taste of the barr generic as well. I'm never getting it again. I'll only take sandoz adderall from now on, otherwise it's not worth it, I'd rather take dex.