ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-20-11, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold
Adder-ALL: The Complete Guide to Amphetamine Salts

Adder-ALL: The Complete Guide to Amphetamine Salts

DISCLAIMER: This guide is intended to assist ADD/ADHD sufferers with their Adderall experience. It is not a valid medical opinion and should not be followed by anyone. It is the result of research and personal experience by me, and I hope it can help some people.

Types
Adderall comes in XR and IR forms. XR releases two separate doses over the course of 10 hours, however the duration of effects varies depending on the person, tolerance, stomach PH, etc. IR, or instant release, releases the dose instantly as the name suggests. XR takes around an hour or so to get rolling with a peak level at 8 hours while IR takes 15-30 minutes and peaks pretty quickly. I’ve found the IR to be harsher than XR and the crash much worse. XR seems to have a slow pick-up period and let-down time. There’s pages and pages breaking down the chemical make-up of the medication and how it works so feel free to look it up if you’re interested. Basically, it’s combination of amphetamine salts that work on your brain chemicals and make it easier to pay attention to stuff. The generics have been reported to be harsher and more side-effective than the namebrand, but that could just be the Deficit talking.

Adderall Dosages
Most adults with an ADHD diagnosis start out around 20mg XR and work their way up and down from there. This can vary from doctor to doctor but it seems to be the standard. Many people take IR in the afternoon if their XR dosage wanes, however I’ve personally found the opposite to be more productive. XR takes longer to kick in, so a morning IR dose followed by a slightly later XR has worked better in my experience. The high end of a “standard” total daily Adderall dosage is 30-40mg, however there are many people who are on significantly higher dosages, as high as 90mg. It is key to find the MINIMUM effective dose for your attention issues to avoid accelerating your tolerance to the medication, I cannot stress this enough. “Less is more” is the key to maintaining the effectiveness of Adderall in the long term. Dream the impossible ADHD dream and actually keep a log of how you’re feeling and how your focus in throughout the day, then report back to your doctor with it. This can help gauge the effectiveness of the medication and give your doctor an idea of how much to prescribe and when you should be taking it.

Adderall Side Effects
There’s a bunch, ask your pharmacist or read the pamphlet if you want to know all of them. Most people seem to have some dry mouth, loss of appetite, some physical tension, some muscle pains and an occasional headache. Stomach upset and indigestion, especially in those who have pre-exisiting gastro issues is also common. Dizziness or light-headedness is common enough as well. Keep in mind that you might not even notice a lot of the side effects at first because you’re too busy FOOOOCUSING on other things – Don’t freak out when you become used to the medication and you suddenly feel some muscle spasms, a lingering headache or experience light dehydration.

The side effects they don’t really tell you about are many. You will probably eat much less. You will probably talk more. You will probably sleep less. You may find yourself attached at the hip to your computer, amazed at how interesting the internet has become now that your brain allows you to actually be captivated by cats wearing funny clothes. You may want to have a lot more intercourse. You may think you’re always right in every situation due to your super-charged brain. If you have procrastination issues, you should keep in mind that amphetamine salts can cause some artificial complacency that tends to kick in with things that we don’t feel like doing. Trust me, no amount of mental reasoning is going to make it okay to not pay your bills, just get it done.

The Adderall Crash
Anyone who has taken Adderall knows and fears “The Crash”. This is the point in your day that the medication burns out and you’re left feeling like you put your head in a microwave and got hit by a truck. Some people take an additional dose at this point, some take vitamins or drink coffee to lessen the blow. XR seems less prone to crashes than IR, but what goes up must come down – If you take Adderall, you have to live with it when it dwindles. Headaches, body ache, irritability, eating of many cupcakes and feeling depressed are all symptoms of the crash, so be prepared for these when you start the medication.

Adderall & Muscle Soreness

It does tend to cause some physical tension and discomfort, especially in the back, neck and jaw. I had a nasty case of TMJ fire up while on the medication which hasn't been especially pleasant. Adderall can cause decreased absorbtion of certain nutrients, so keep this in mind and take a Magnesium / Calcium / Zinc suppliment if you start to feel sore. NSAIDS can help but keep in und that you're already subjecting your stomach to a pretty corosive blend with Adderall - Don't tempt the GERD by giving it another potentiater on a regular basis. Exercise is also very important, even if Adderall makes you feel like you just want to sit online and read forums all day.

Adderall & Sleep
This is a tough one. While I sleep like a baby with a dose around 10mg in my system, many people struggle with maintaining a good sleep schedule while on Adderall. ADHD insomnia is common enough due to racing thoughts, so the addition of a drug that counteracts sleep can be problematic. It can be helped by taking your dose at the same EARLY time in the day, every day, and not taking an additional dose past ffice:smarttags" />5:00pm. I know you want to have every bit of mental fortitude available to watch television and veg out on the couch, but you’ll kick yourself later when you’re wide awake at 3:00 AM. Some people have success in taking Melatonin for sleep difficulties, others are prescribed sleep aids like Trazadone or Ambien. Let your doctor know how your sleep schedule is being effected by Adderall because there’s nothing worse for concentration than not chronic insomnia.

Adderall Stigma & Abuse
Many people, myself included, have felt the negative feelings that go along with taking amphetamine salts for ADHD. Lindsay Lohan has not done anything for the collective subconscious of our weary community and any college student with a convincing enough story can obtain it without a lot of effort. The potential for abuse with Adderall comes from a few different places: The allure of the euphoric effects it has on some people can cause addiction, especially since tolerances can be developed. It also seems to have a negative impact on the emotional / common sense part of your psyche when it comes to doing things that make you feel good, so make sure you keep your head on your shoulders. Keep in mind that if you’re honest with yourself and your doctors, are prescribed it and are taking it at the prescribed dose and the way it is prescribed, you are not abusing Adderall. If it helps you, it helps you and you should just stop worrying about it. Even people who have no intentions of abusing the medication find themselves curious as to what it would be like to snort it. If you want to blow your tolerance out completely, mess up your sinuses and become incredibly sedated or incredibly spun, go right ahead and (don’t) try it. The “weight” of the medication changes dramatically if not ingested, so take it as suggested and don’t set yourself up for failure and big problems later on.

Nuttiness
You may experience some nuttiness. I define this as having a dose that’s too high and that causes you to act or feel nutty. Some people may refer to this as amphetamine psychosis, over-stimulation, etc. The dose ain’t working if you think the FBI is following you and you’re acting like a crazy person. Some doctors say that people with ADHD don’t feel anything different with higher doses, but I’m pretty sure that’s baloney. If you’re perscribed a dose of Adderall that is significantly higher than what it should be, you’ll definitely know it and your doctor should know about it, too. Also, the answer to this equation is NOT "more Adderall!" If you're feeling paranoid, anxious, over-activated and over-stimulated, Adderall may not be the right medication for you or your dose may be off.

The First Month
Unless you’re severely depressed or a space alien, Adderall will have an enormously uplifting effect on your energy level at first regardless if you’re ADHD or not. If you are ADHD, the ability to focus and work through tasks without getting distracted and chasing a butterfly around your office or workplace will be much appreciated. Many people with depression and ADHD or just depression feel an alleviation of symptoms at first and feel they’ve been instantly cured of all things that afflict them – This is a good feeling, but keep in mind that it is probably fleeting. While Adderall has a positive effect on depression and anxiety in some people, this can often be chalked up to the euphoric qualities you feel when you start the medication. Don’t chase this by requesting your dose be raised if it is improving your concentration and having a positive impact on your life, you’ll just pay for it later. You may be able to handle a ridiculous workload at first – Keep in mind that it’s your MIND that’s now working at a much more efficient level, not your body. Take care of yourself, exercise, eat balanced meals, hydrate and take breaks. You don’t want to burn yourself out physically in the first month of your “mental awakening”. Evaluate your initial dose and dose changes with the right mind – Look at your day to day life, activity level, time spent puttering around endlessly online, job performance and interactions in your personal life when you give feedback to your doctor.

The After Party
After you become used to the medication, it will probably decrease in effectiveness. Again, this is not always a sign that you should run to your doctor and immediately request a raised dosage. The ability to focus is still there, it just may become a little more difficult since you’re used to the medication around months 4-6. You may find depression and anxiety symptoms you had in the past return – Adderall is not Xanax or Zoloft. It can be used to treat resistant depression but if you had these before, you may end up with them again. Talk to your doctor about adding an additional medication for these symptoms if you find them starting to arise. In my own situation, Adderall initially helped and then hurt my depression due to a level of social isolation and emotional “bluntness” I felt while taking it. Be ready for these changes as your body and mind become accustomed to the medication and remember that MOOD can effect concentration and attention as much as much as ADHD. If your mood is terrible and you hate the things you’re trying to concentrate on, you probably won’t have a lot of luck. Also, I and many ADHDers I’ve talked to have experienced Hyperfocus, and only being able to intently focus on the things you really want to – Adderall is NOOOOT going to do a lot for this part. If you Hyperfocus on Justin Bieber, Adderall will make you the president of the Bieber fanclub and an obsessive collector of all things Bieber. Hyper-vigilance also comes along with ADHD in some cases, and it isn’t going to help you out a lot there, either. Hopefully it gives you the marbles to be able to separate yourself from your obsessions and still get some work done, but it isn’t exactly friendly to the Hyperfocus and Hyper-Vigilant subtypes.

Adderall, Absorbtion, Antacids and GERD
As a long-time GERD sufferer, I can attest for the negative impacts Adderall has on your GI system. Mine worsened to the point that I had to change my entire diet and take daily acid reduction medications. The biggest rub here is that Adderall isn’t as effective if your stomach is acidic – It causes a disease that lessens its own effects. Great, hunh? If you’ve found your Adderall dose suddenly just isn’t cutting the mustard and also found yourself not being able to eat mustard, you may have GERD. Antacids can help lower the acid levels in your stomach and make your Adderall dose more effective, but it can also overload you with the medication, so don’t play around with it unless you’re under a doctor’s care. Ways to increase Adderall absorbtion are many. You can take it with milk or a non-acidic, non-water beverage instead and see if that helps. Taking it on an empty, non-acidic stomach is the best way I’ve found, so I often take Zantac in the early morning and my Adderall dose an hour later. I was prescribed Prilosec for a while and suddenly found myself pooping out at noon and couldn’t figure out why – PPI blockers can lower the duration of Adderall effects, especially in XR. Keep this in mind if you end up battling GERD, it isn’t fun but with dietary changes and acid meds, you should be able to find a regimen that allows you to get the full benefits of Adderall. There are other ADHD medications that are supposed to have less of a negative effect on GERD than Adderall, so if you have acid reflux, you may want to try them first.

Adderall and Nicotine
If you don’t smoke, you really don’t want to have a cigarette with an active Adderall dose in your system. Don’t do it. Seriously. Cigarettes act on some of the same chemicals and can also reduce the edginess Adderall causes. They become incredibly delicious and you may be compelled to chain-smoke. I and many ADHDers I’ve read about seem to feel a reduction or unwanted “increase” in the effectiveness of Adderall while smoking as well, so be prepared. I feel as though it had a negative impact on my tolerance as well. The feeling is good, but smoking isn’t healthy and being over-stimulated isn’t good for you. If you already smoke, monitor your nicotine intake while you’re on Adderall because it can shoot up wicked fast.

Adderall, Alcohol and Fun
It’s not a party drug. Don’t take it at 8:00pm and then go out on a bar-hop. You will be a drunken mess and be entirely convinced that you’re sober, so you’ll drink more and end up a very articulate mess on the floor of somebody’s pub. It can lessen the “I’ve had too much” feelings of just about any depressant substance, so keep this in mind if you choose to indulge. Adderall isn’t going to enhance “fun” in some circumstances, so if you’re not enjoying your weekly bowling excursion as much, try skipping your afternoon dose and see how it goes. I've found I'm a lot more robotic and impersonal when I'm on it, so I have to either work extra hard to be personable or take a reduced dose if I want to engage in any enjoyable shenanigans.

Adderall & Antidepressants
Ah, yes. My current dilemma. Many people with ADHD find themselves saddled with depression, anxiety or bipolar disorder on top of their already difficult ADHD diagnosis. Finding a medication or medications that alleviate all your symptoms while not worsening others can be hard. Stimulants helps focus and sometimes helps depression but hurt anxiety. Antidepressants often help depression and anxiety but can hurt focus. Bipolars probably have the most difficult medication situation under the sun. The best way to navigate this treacherous territory is to be open with your doctor about how you’re feeling and dealing with the depression and anxiety symptoms you experience. Don’t be caught up by adding another diagnosis to your chart, I did that and cheated myself out of feeling good for months. I personally tried Adderall with Wellbutrin (too much anxiety), Abilify (too blunted) and Zoloft (not bad!) and have had the best experience with Zoloft combined with Adderall. Everyone’s different when it comes to these medication combinations, so find out what works best for you.

Adderall and “The Other Stuff”
While pretty fantastic at first, Adderall isn’t going to do all the work for you. You will probably find this out when you realize that you still haven’t gotten your taxes done and it’s July. You still have ADHD and you’re still going to have struggles that other people are lucky enough to avoid. Therapy and behavioral changes are just as important as medication, so make sure you’re doing the work along with taking the help.

Feel free to add your own experiences, advice, reflections and ramblings to this thread. I say the guide is "complete", but it obviously isn't any more complete than my own research and personal experiences with Adderall. I've found that doctors often know much less about ADHD and Adderall than I (and most of us) do, so these boards are a good way for us to share experiences and information and educate them on how to best medicate us.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to siglerja For This Useful Post:
APSJ (03-21-11), blackadderall (02-18-12), Book_Worm (03-22-11), iwaw2f (03-20-11), superstressed (03-22-11)
Old 03-20-11, 07:38 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough
Re: Adder-ALL: The Complete Guide to Amphetamine Salts

I have trouble finding a correct statement. Employs vocabulary of harm reducing forums, that of an MDMA user (rolling). Every time you see a figure in that post, it's wrong, except today's date and post time.

Even the recreational usage tips are wrong. I don't mean to discourage you but you need to do research before you post something like this.

Old 03-20-11, 08:21 PM

kassem23 is on a distinguished road

Jester, you can't be serious. Also read the disclaimer instead of being a grinch.

His post was very well thought out and very well written. Kudos, my friend, on that one.

All of your advice is reasonable and part of common sense. Indeed, very good.

Jester, don't discourage him, because he left out that Adderall can be great for socializing or partying. He is basically just telling people to be wary of the effects of this medication and respect it. By respecting it, one also benefits more, and I think that is what is really great about this post. It reminds me a bit about Gahan's "Ten Commandments of Amphetamine Usage" on mindandmuscle. You can look it up on google, if you'd like.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-11, 09:17 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassem23 View Post
Jester, you can't be serious. Also read the disclaimer instead of being a grinch.

His post was very well thought out and very well written. Kudos, my friend, on that one.

All of your advice is reasonable and part of common sense. Indeed, very good.

Jester, don't discourage him, because he left out that Adderall can be great for socializing or partying. He is basically just telling people to be wary of the effects of this medication and respect it. By respecting it, one also benefits more, and I think that is what is really great about this post. It reminds me a bit about Gahan's "Ten Commandments of Amphetamine Usage" on mindandmuscle. You can look it up on google, if you'd like.
The disclaimer states that it's a result of research. I fail to see the sources for those figures. Well, look at this:

''Types
Adderall comes in XR and IR forms. XR releases two separate doses over the course of 10 hours, however the duration of effects varies depending on the person, tolerance, stomach PH, etc. IR, or instant release, releases the dose instantly as the name suggests. XR takes around an hour or so to get rolling with a peak level at 8 hours while IR takes 15-30 minutes and peaks pretty quickly??. I’ve found the IR to be harsher than XR and the crash much worse. XR seems to have a slow pick-up period and let-down time. There’s pages and pages breaking down the chemical make-up of the medication and how it works so feel free to look it up if you’re interested. Basically, it’s combination of amphetamine salts that work on your brain chemicals and make it easier to pay attention to stuff. The generics have been reported to be harsher and more side-effective than the namebrand, but that could just be the Deficit talking.

Adderall Dosages
Most adults with an ADHD diagnosis start out around 20mg XR and work their way up and down from there. This can vary from doctor to doctor but it seems to be the standard. Many people take IR in the afternoon if their XR dosage wanes, however I’ve personally found the opposite to be more productive. XR takes longer to kick in, so a morning IR dose followed by a slightly later XR has worked better in my experience. The high end of a “standard” total daily Adderall dosage is 30-40mg, however there are many people who are on significantly higher dosages, as high as 90mg. It is key to find the MINIMUM effective dose for your attention issues to avoid accelerating your tolerance to the medication, I cannot stress this enough. “Less is more” is the key to maintaining the effectiveness of Adderall in the long term. Dream the impossible ADHD dream and actually keep a log of how you’re feeling and how your focus in throughout the day, then report back to your doctor with it. This can help gauge the effectiveness of the medication and give your doctor an idea of how much to prescribe and when you should be taking it.''

See, no good figures.

Old 03-21-11, 02:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,630 Times in 5,039 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I found it to be a thoughtful reflection of one person's experience. Jester- you have some specialized knowledge that would possibly focus the post differently for you. I was a nurse years ago and frequently have the same thing happen. It's almost as if I have to make an active decision to switch that part of my thinking off in order to really see the message that is intended.

I'm also seeing him actively avoiding the trap of making absolute statements and staying safely in generality. I see that as a good thing. He isn't going to be misread as saying "This is the only correct dose" or "This is exactly how it works for everyone".

The part I really LIKE in this though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by siglerja
While pretty fantastic at first, Adderall isn’t going to do all the work for you.
Pills don't teach skills. I know I have been guilty of wanting my medication to do everything for me and can get annoyed that it won't. I think that many people fall into that thinking every now and again.

All in all, I really like the OP. There is some really well grounded and informative stuff there.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Amtram (03-22-11), APSJ (03-21-11), Book_Worm (03-22-11), Dizfriz (03-22-11)
Old 03-21-11, 02:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your two cents regarding a medication that hasn't been availible in your country since 2005. You're trolling me over facts and figures on one of the most random and poorly absorbed psych pills on the planet. You could ask a thousand different people what their start-up, duration, dosage and peak times are with Adderall and get a thousand different answers. You could ask a thousand different people what their minimum and maximum dosages have been and get a thousand different answers, from 5mg to 90mg+ I'm sure.

http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/A...XR_USA_ENG.PDF
"Adults: 20 mg once daily in the morning. (2.4)"

2.4 Adults
In adults with ADHD who are either starting treatment for the first time or switching
from another medication, the recommended dose is 20 mg/day.

"The time to reach maximum plasma concentration (T
max) for ADDERALL XR is about
7 hours, which is about 4 hours longer compared to ADDERALL (immediate release).

This is consistent with the extended-release nature of the product."

"The mean elimination half-life for d-amphetamine is 10 hours in adults; 11 hours in
adolescents aged 13-17 years and weighing less than or equal to 75 kg/165 lbs; and
9 hours in children aged 6 to 12 years. For the l-amphetamine, the mean
elimination half-life in adults is 13 hours; 13 to 14 hours in adolescents; and 11 hours
in children aged 6 to 12 years. On a mg/kg body weight basis, children have a higher
clearance than adolescents or adults (see Special Populations below)."

http://adhd.emedtv.com/adhd/adderall-medication.html
"In general, the maximum Adderall dosage for people with ADHD is 40 mg per day."

I can see how you might see the word "rolling" as a MDMA reference. This would probably be because you didn't read the entire post and missed the anti-drug abuse, anti-recreational use tone used throughout. There shouldn't be recreational use of Adderall because it isn't a recreational drug. If you want to argue over the effects of it administered orally / snorted or how it impacts a person's tolerance and ability to gauge if they're intoxicated or not, I'm sure there's plenty of law school students in rehab and stomach-pumpees who would be more than willing to discuss it with you. If you can go out and have lots of fun while being on a theraputic dose of Adderall, more power to you - Lots of people actually take weekend breaks from their medication or skip dosages when they're away from work for extended periods of time because it can make it harder to relax and have fun.

Old 03-21-11, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by siglerja View Post
Thanks for your two cents regarding a medication that hasn't been availible in your country since 2005. You're trolling me over facts and figures on one of the most random and poorly absorbed psych pills on the planet. You could ask a thousand different people what their start-up, duration, dosage and peak times are with Adderall and get a thousand different answers. You could ask a thousand different people what their minimum and maximum dosages have been and get a thousand different answers, from 5mg to 90mg+ I'm sure.

http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/A...XR_USA_ENG.PDF
"Adults: 20 mg once daily in the morning. (2.4)"

2.4 Adults
In adults with ADHD who are either starting treatment for the first time or switching
from another medication, the recommended dose is 20 mg/day.

"The time to reach maximum plasma concentration (T
max) for ADDERALL XR is about
7 hours, which is about 4 hours longer compared to ADDERALL (immediate release).

This is consistent with the extended-release nature of the product."

"The mean elimination half-life for d-amphetamine is 10 hours in adults; 11 hours in
adolescents aged 13-17 years and weighing less than or equal to 75 kg/165 lbs; and
9 hours in children aged 6 to 12 years. For the l-amphetamine, the mean
elimination half-life in adults is 13 hours; 13 to 14 hours in adolescents; and 11 hours
in children aged 6 to 12 years. On a mg/kg body weight basis, children have a higher
clearance than adolescents or adults (see Special Populations below)."

http://adhd.emedtv.com/adhd/adderall-medication.html
"In general, the maximum Adderall dosage for people with ADHD is 40 mg per day."

I can see how you might see the word "rolling" as a MDMA reference. This would probably be because you didn't read the entire post and missed the anti-drug abuse, anti-recreational use tone used throughout. There shouldn't be recreational use of Adderall because it isn't a recreational drug. If you want to argue over the effects of it administered orally / snorted or how it impacts a person's tolerance and ability to gauge if they're intoxicated or not, I'm sure there's plenty of law school students in rehab and stomach-pumpees who would be more than willing to discuss it with you. If you can go out and have lots of fun while being on a theraputic dose of Adderall, more power to you - Lots of people actually take weekend breaks from their medication or skip dosages when they're away from work for extended periods of time because it can make it harder to relax and have fun.

Just don't give figures. Like ADHDTigger said, it's a thoughtful post but the bad figures undermine the credibility. The subject you have chosen is very big. Books have been written on only mere aspects of it. Summing it up in 3000 words requires you NOT to go in details, such as stating figures and how stuff works from a chemical point of view. You would understand what I mean if you went to a french system highschool, you don't learn how to do this in any other schools...check:

When you write a text or an essay, it's like watching a landscape with a pair of binoculars. The zoom must not increase or decrease. If in one sentence you show me the aspect of the mountain and in another you show me the bird on top of a storage house somewhere downhill...and then go back at showing me the clouds or the horizon, it's bad. It's a zoom in zoom out frenzy that makes the text look bad. Your idea is great but be honest, how many times did you wrote that? Did you:

- make a plan to sum up your ideas
- did you define the boundaries of the subject
- did you edit an introduction linking the 3 main subjects in the devellopement

Every section of your post required that analysis. You just clicked ''add post'' and wrote that for the first time and posted right? There's steps to follow when writing a non scientific guide.
Old 03-21-11, 02:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

First off jester, I don't know if it is a regional thing but saying something takes a while to get rolling is just another way of saying something takes a while to get started. It is incredibly commonly used in the south eastern united states, OP is from Boston so maybe it is an east coast or continental USA thing.

Also, I have seen quite a few doctors prescribe 20mg of XR as a starting dose. So there is some truth to that while in general it is in fact an anecdotal inference.

The standard dosages seem to be on the low side a bit but not too low. I would say 30-60mg/day range for IR.

Otherwise a few small errors here and there that can be chalked up to personal experience. Nothing to write home about.
The Following User Says Thank You to PedroDaGr8 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-22-11)
Old 03-21-11, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
First off jester, I don't know if it is a regional thing but saying something takes a while to get rolling is just another way of saying something takes a while to get started. It is incredibly commonly used in the south eastern united states, OP is from Boston so maybe it is an east coast or continental USA thing.

Also, I have seen quite a few doctors prescribe 20mg of XR as a starting dose. So there is some truth to that while in general it is in fact an anecdotal inference.

The standard dosages seem to be on the low side a bit but not too low. I would say 30-60mg/day range for IR.

Otherwise a few small errors here and there that can be chalked up to personal experience. Nothing to write home about.
I come from a Europe french system school. This guide would get a 6/20 mark despite the interesting content. I can rewrite it and you'll understand what I mean.
Old 03-21-11, 03:15 PM
Banned

Take the first section for example:

''Types
Adderall comes in XR and IR forms. XR releases two separate doses over the course of 10 hours, however the duration of effects varies depending on the person, tolerance, stomach PH, etc. IR, or instant release, releases the dose instantly as the name suggests. XR takes around an hour or so to get rolling with a peak level at 8 hours while IR takes 15-30 minutes and peaks pretty quickly. I’ve found the IR to be harsher than XR and the crash much worse. XR seems to have a slow pick-up period and let-down time. There’s pages and pages breaking down the chemical make-up of the medication and how it works so feel free to look it up if you’re interested. Basically, it’s combination of amphetamine salts that work on your brain chemicals and make it easier to pay attention to stuff. The generics have been reported to be harsher and more side-effective than the namebrand, but that could just be the Deficit talking.
''

How about:

''Types
Adderall comes in 2 different formulations: IR(instant release) and XR(extended release). The instant release formulation, usually solid pills, releases the medicine instantly, just like the name suggests. Extended release formulations, usually round bids in gelatin capsules, releases two separate doses 4 hours apart. Both formulations take effect about 30-60 minutes after administration with blood levels peaking after 7 hours. Following this peak, a crash occurs. A crash is a combination of adverse effects resulting of the amphetamine blood levels dropping. IR formulations tend to be harsher than XR ones and the crash is much worse. Since the full chemistry of the drug cannot be explained here, I encourage people to read more about it in order to become more familiar with Adderall. In a nutshell, Adderall activates parts of your brain selectively, according to your current occupation, resulting in an increase in focus. Generic brands like Corepharma have been reported to be less efficient and generate more side effects than other formulations, especially the IR formulations. ''

see, read the first, and then read the second. For example, you can't talk about ''crash'' for the first time if you didn't define it earlier. I didn't do anything, I just fixed the sentences so that they work and removed the wrong and useless content. It's still a rough cut because the paragraph talks about 100 different things, a bit like a ball jumping from the corner of a table so it still requires a lot of work so don't think the second one is ok, it's just less tragic, meaning I probably went up to 12/20. My ideas tend to jump all over the place as well, I have ADD too, but once you reread the text, there's no way you'll miss it and not be able to correct.

I just ask for a text that's clear you know, if it's clear in your mind there's no reason why it shouldn't be clear on paper.
Old 03-22-11, 04:40 AM

iwaw2f will become famous soon enough

^^this picture is resulting of your replies to this thread
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iwaw2f For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-22-11), Amtram (03-22-11), APSJ (03-22-11), livewire (03-25-11)
Old 03-22-11, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaw2f View Post
^^this picture is resulting of your replies to this thread
Cute trolling rand.
Old 03-22-11, 01:34 PM

Thanked 16,076 Times in 7,588 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Cute trolling rand.
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean he or she is a troll.

I do think there are better ways of expressing disagreement.
ADHDTigger (03-22-11), APSJ (03-22-11), Dizfriz (03-22-11), Imnapl (03-22-11), iwaw2f (03-22-11)
Old 03-22-11, 04:29 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

so , do you think taking prevacid daily affects the effectiveness of adderall? I take concerta ( ritalin) I wonder if it would negate it's effect as well or is it only adderall affected by ppi's?
Old 03-22-11, 05:48 PM

Rush is on a distinguished road

I found the part about the first month useful in the sense that the lower thr dose is better is a good saying. I've never gotten a euphoric effect off of adderall though so I don't know if it applies. I think the maximum daily dose is 60mg so I don't know if I would say 30mg(-40mg) is a high dose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rush For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-22-11)