ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-24-11, 09:07 AM

Michiroo is on a distinguished road
Breastfeeding and Adderall

I have been off my Adderall for a few days because my dad was giving me grief about nursing my 2 year old. I did a lot of research before I decided to use medication, and talked it over with my daughter's pediatrician and my psychiatrist. Both felt that A)She wasn't getting that much milk anymore and B)She would metabolize the medication very differently than a 2 month whole who nursed several times a day. We don't nurse very often, only 2-4 times a day, and I don't have much of a supply left so it's not like she's getting very much milk anyway. She's been going through some very trying personality changes, which I attributed to typical terrible twos behavior, but my dad is convinced that I'm getting her high through my milk. My dad also thinks Adderall is straight up meth and I'm going to end up hopelessly addicted and ruin my life, so basically he's a giant drama queen. Anyway, it's been 4 days since my daughter had any of my "tainted" milk, and she's still acting insane. Should I wait even longer before trying Adderall again, or would 4 days be long enough to know if it was the medication or not. I should add that she has not experienced any changes in appetite or sleep habits, she's just moody and dramatic as hell. I should ALSO add that my daughter has always been very dramatic and a "difficult" child, she's just been more difficult lately.

I see my psych on Monday, so I'll bring it up with him then too.
Old 03-24-11, 09:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kasechka is a jewel in the roughKasechka is a jewel in the roughKasechka is a jewel in the rough
Re: Breastfeeding and Adderall

Moody and dramatic? Sounds like a normal 2 year old to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kasechka For This Useful Post:
Book_Worm (03-24-11), Menna (03-29-11)
Old 03-24-11, 05:06 PM

Lindsey54 will become famous soon enough

Adderall does go thru breast milk.

I cant believe a Pediatrician didn't have a problem with you nursing (no matter the child's age) your daughter while taking adderall. If you say your daughter is difficult, the adderall she would get thru the milk (and in my opinion, 4x a day is A LOT) will not help the situation at all. Adderall is not approved for pediatric use under age 6, and there is a reason for that.

It is my personal opinion that you are probably doing more harm than good to your daughter. If you wouldn't give her your dose, why would you nurse while using it? You are not sure what kind of dose she is getting... better safe than sorry!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lindsey54 For This Useful Post:
Spikey 723 (03-29-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-11, 09:56 PM

You think nursing 4 times a day for about 5 minutes each time is a lot? Really? Have you ever nursed a child?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michiroo For This Useful Post:
JLambz (12-19-12), Menna (03-29-11), sienasmama09 (03-27-11)
Old 03-26-11, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,362 Times in 7,733 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Are you taking a small dose or a bigger dose? Are you taking IR or XR Adderall? How long after taking your dose is your daughter nursing?

This website:
http://www.infantrisk.com/content/drug-entry-human-milk : recommends shorter half-life drugs, drugs with high protein binding, and waiting at least 2-3 hours after dosing before nursing. But the doctor who put together this very informative website says if you're using a prolongued release form, then do not mix the meds with nursing.

Your daughter will probably test positive for the drug if any testing is necessary. The problems you should watch for are diarrhea, constipation, sedation (drowsiness) or weakness.

Waiting until you talk to your psy-doc before taking the Adderall again is probably a very good idea though.
Spikey 723 (03-29-11)
Old 03-26-11, 10:48 PM

I am taking the instant release Adderall. I take 20 mg a day, but I often forget to take my second dose, so about half the week I'm taking 10 mg a day.
Old 03-27-11, 12:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

sienasmama09 has a spectacular aura aboutsienasmama09 has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately, very little is known about most medications in regards to BF'ing and the effects on the nursing babies. My (completely non-professional, non-medical) advice would be to find out what the life of the drug is in your system and time your daughter's BF'ing around that to minimize her exposure.

I also am nursing--I have a 17 month old DD--and will be starting on Ritalin (or its generic) next week. Truthfully, I've been ready to start weaning for the past couple of months because she'd started biting every time I nursed her, AND she wanted to nurse CONSTANTLY. So between that and needing to get on meds, it seemed like the right time. Up til a month ago, she was still nursing 6-8x/day, so what I did was put the nursing on a schedule, 4 times a day, then I've been dropping one feeding per day every 10 days or so. She's now down to 1-2x/day, 1st thing in the morning and on some days, an hour or so before bed. So, I'll nurse her when she first wakes up, then take the meds.

Granted, Ritalin has had a few studies done in regard to breastfeeding, involving babies much younger than ours, and who were nursing a lot more frequently than ours. Yet there with no adverse effects reported and when blood levels were tested, the drug was virtually undetectable. so I feel safer taking it than I would Adderall. http://www.drugs.com/breastfeeding/methylphenidate.html

Ultimately you have to just listen to your instincts. My DD is so hard headed, and can be such a drama queen. She's not even a year and half and is already mastering the art of the temper tantrum. lol. So I know that her acting crazy is NORMAL. No one knows your child better than you do, so if your instincts tell you everything is ok, you are probably right!

The Following User Says Thank You to sienasmama09 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (03-27-11)
Old 03-27-11, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

sienasmama09 has a spectacular aura aboutsienasmama09 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiroo View Post
You think nursing 4 times a day for about 5 minutes each time is a lot? Really? Have you ever nursed a child?
LOL! I will never forget my DD's 6-week growth spurt: she nursed 20 times in ONE day. She spent more time on my boob than off. I was so flipping exhausted! My DH brought me home a HUGE chicken sandwich and fries from TGI Fridays for dinner that night, and I wolfed it all down within 15 minutes and didn't even feel full. hehe

Old 03-27-11, 09:26 AM

I actually started out on Ritalin, but it was giving me really strange side effects. I contacted Dr. **** directly, so hopefully he gets back to me soon with his opinion.

Last edited by ADHDTigger; 03-31-11 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Removed doc's name
Old 03-27-11, 10:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiroo View Post
I actually started out on Ritalin, but it was giving me really strange side effects. I contacted Dr. Hale directly, so hopefully he gets back to me soon with his opinion.
If you don't mind my asking, what side effects did you have? I've heard irritability/rage/anger is pretty common and that probably concerns me the most since I'm already not the most patient person on the planet.

Old 03-28-11, 10:06 AM

Actually, all stimulants calm me down so so so much, it's amazing! The number one reason I wanted to finally address my ADHD problems was because I was tired of being a snappy, mean, grumpy parent.

Ritalin made me cough, and it gave me a slight burning lung feeling. Not like I'd run a marathon, more like I'd been up coughing all night. I also felt jittery and a bit high.

Also, in response to my initial post, I found this on Dr. **** forums, and it has greatly eased my mind. http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/discus/me...tml?1252504776

This kid is nursing more than mine, and Dr. **** didn't seem very concerned.

Last edited by ADHDTigger; 03-31-11 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Removed doctor's name
Old 03-28-11, 10:23 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, that's only one doctor, but what he says about half life of meds and how kids get more comfort than milk when they're eating table food makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 03-29-11, 04:43 PM

Lindsey54 will become famous soon enough

WOW, I am blown away by the lack of concern...

Yes, I have nursed a child; never once using adderall. Not too sure what that has anything to do with the question you originally asked, BUT....

Moderator edit: Removed information that violates guidelines.

Last edited by ADHDTigger; 03-31-11 at 05:19 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lindsey54 For This Useful Post:
Spikey 723 (03-29-11)
Old 03-29-11, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey54 View Post
WOW, I am blown away by the lack of concern...

Yes, I have nursed a child; never once using adderall. Not too sure what that has anything to do with the question you originally asked, BUT....

Moderator edit: Removed information that violates guidelines
I don't think it's a LACK of concern, I think it's differing LEVELs of concern. It seems the medical profession has conflicting opinions on the matter, which leaves a mother to use her best judgment with the advice of her own pediatrician and psychiatrist. So as you say, we have different opinions.

Last edited by ADHDTigger; 03-31-11 at 05:20 PM..
Old 03-29-11, 10:14 PM

Menna has a spectacular aura aboutMenna has a spectacular aura about

I think you made the right decision in stopping the adderall while breastfeeding.