ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-27-11, 09:54 AM
Jr Member

thomasfx10 is on a distinguished road
Rapid Heart Rate on Adderall ... Anyone else?

My doctor prescribed 10mg of Adderall last week and I have experimenting with the dosage. I broke off about 3/4 (7 mg) and have been taking that.

One of the negative side effects is the rapid heart I now have. I am a runner, and my resting heart rate is normally in the low 60's. My heart rate is now on 7 mg is 85-90. Anyone else getting a rapid heart rate?

7 mg works concentration wise but I feel it is having a negative effect on my body.

I went down to about 4 mg and I did not notice it helping my concentration at the low dose.

Any other meds out there that affect your head more than your heart?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-11, 01:14 PM

gimmeabreak has a spectacular aura aboutgimmeabreak has a spectacular aura about
Re: Rapid Heart Rate on Adderall ... Anyone else?

Anyone who takes amphetamines are going to experience a significant increase in heart rate. I wouldn't be concerned about the how fast your heart is beating, especially if its under 100bpm, but how hard its working (blood pressure). My RHR is about 75, but on Adderall whether 5mg to 50mg my HR is 110.
Old 03-27-11, 02:11 PM
Jr Member

thomasfx10 is on a distinguished road

Wow ... 110 BPM ... I thought my was high at 90. Do you have a day to "Dry Out". I decided that I would give my body a rest every few days.

I am worried about working out / running with my pulse rate already high.

On a good note, I have had some awesome intense workouts.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-11, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

miinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the rough

i get a high heart rate on 20mg daily of adderall. 85-90 is still within the normal range for adults, but if you are concerned you can talk to your doctor about it. I was just recently put on beta blockers along with the adderall to bring mine down, however mine was much higher than yours - 80-90 normal bpm, as high as 100-120 at the doctors office. - it sits at a steady 70 bpm or so now. Strattera is also something to consider, though for some it does still raise heart rate, but less so.

I do find that taking "breaks" from the adderall will cause my heart rate to be very rapid when I start it up again. I do much better just taking it consistently - 20mg per day on workdays, 10mg on weekends - far less of the side effects that way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miinx For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (08-19-11), misskitten (04-17-12)
Old 03-28-11, 12:01 AM
Jr Member

mimi86 is on a distinguished road

I had to take a health class in college, and I was sitting in a half-filled lecture hall with about 50 other people. The instructor had us take our resting heart rate (count your beats over 10 seconds, etc) as a way to illustrate how your heart rate can go up with a sedentary lifestyle etc. etc. She had people raise their hands if their RHR was between 50 and 60...then 60 and 70. Yeah, it was slightly embarassing to be the only person to raise my hand for the 80-90 range. I probably should have lied! My RHR is always that high first thing in the morning after I take it.
Old 03-28-11, 05:19 AM

Computerz is on a distinguished road

Rapid heart rate is extremely normal for starting on a stimulant medication such as Adderall! It takes the first few weeks or month of taking the medication for your body to start to adjust to the changes in heart rate and blood pressure.

I remember the first or second day I starting taking my meds and decided to go for a long bike ride... at one point I nearly thought that I was going to have a heart attack!

Though after my body adjusting to the medication I found that it was best for me to let me heart settle down (an hour or so after I take my meds) to go out and do physically active things, or rather to not take medication on the days that I planned on working out or being very physically active (or even just take it sometime afterwards).

Just as with any medication, let your body adjust and figure out the workings of the medication on yourself before you keep pushing your body as you have been known to normally do.

- Computerz
Old 03-28-11, 03:39 PM

KTCAOP is on a distinguished road

Proper sleep, diet, and exercise can help with the heart rate. But yeah... taking a stimulant will increase your heart rate. I would be very concerned if it dropped your heart rate o.O.

Runner here as well.
Old 03-28-11, 06:07 PM

animalcrazy is on a distinguished road

I have been adderal for 5 years or so and take 90mg. a day. I have had no problems with my heart racing except on days that I didn't get any sleep the night before.
Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago I started having a really fast racing heart to the point that at times, with little exrution I am breathing so hard one would think I ran a mile.
Any ideas why after all this time the adderal (Barr IR 30mg.) has started doing is?

Thank you!
Old 03-29-11, 04:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

miinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I have been adderal for 5 years or so and take 90mg. a day. I have had no problems with my heart racing except on days that I didn't get any sleep the night before.
Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago I started having a really fast racing heart to the point that at times, with little exrution I am breathing so hard one would think I ran a mile.
Any ideas why after all this time the adderal (Barr IR 30mg.) has started doing is?

Thank you!
Do you have any anxiety symptoms? Allergies? Congestion? Probably something worth checking out with your doctor. Sometimes my anxiety is so bad that I will be convinced my heart must be beating a mile a minute - but when my pulse and blood pressure are taken, the reading is normal.
Old 03-29-11, 05:52 AM

animalcrazy is on a distinguished road

miinx,
Thank you for your responce. I do have alergies maybe that is causing some of it.
Old 04-13-12, 05:22 PM

Mike144 is on a distinguished road

My situation is somewhat reversed. I just started on 5 mg of Adderall twice a day. My normal resting heart rate is 57 - 60 BPM and when on the Adderall during its peak its not that much higher. However when I start crashing I get tired and my heart rate jumps to 80BPM and stays there for a couple of hours.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks
Old 04-13-12, 08:20 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I get the rapid heart rate as well. I'm getting off Adderall, not worth the side effects and starting Vyvanse. The Vyvanse doesn't seem to cause any heart issues and I feel a lot calmer, not stressed out like on Adderall.
Old 04-13-12, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfx10 View Post
My doctor prescribed 10mg of Adderall last week and I have experimenting with the dosage. I broke off about 3/4 (7 mg) and have been taking that.

One of the negative side effects is the rapid heart I now have. I am a runner, and my resting heart rate is normally in the low 60's. My heart rate is now on 7 mg is 85-90. Anyone else getting a rapid heart rate?

7 mg works concentration wise but I feel it is having a negative effect on my body.

I went down to about 4 mg and I did not notice it helping my concentration at the low dose.

Any other meds out there that affect your head more than your heart?

Thanks!
The 2 are related. Your head does not work well on a low heart rate. They tested this in a highschool, made every student run 1 mile than made them do a math test right after and they noticed the average go up by at least 20%!

If you have ADD, your head should be already working in the first place but you just need to be more calm and focus longer.
Old 08-30-13, 02:42 PM

hannahb is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Rapid Heart Rate on Adderall ... Anyone else?

is it bad that when I take adderall my resting heart rate is almost 180 bpm?! I'm getting scared..? I usually take 60-80mg but the most I've ever taken was 225mg. I took 60mg yesterday and my resting heart rate was 170 bpm.. today I took 80mg and it was close to 190 bpm.
Old 08-30-13, 05:46 PM
mADDhatterator

Laserbeak is a jewel in the roughLaserbeak is a jewel in the roughLaserbeak is a jewel in the rough

Ask your doctor for a beta blocker (like metoprolol) to take with the Adderall.