ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-28-11, 07:43 PM

Herhant257 is on a distinguished road
Adjusting adderall dosage, should I ask the doctor?

I am currently prescribed 20mg Adderall (Generic) standard tablet, 2 X a day.

I have been stabilized for awhile now, and don't really have any side effects beyond dry mouth if I haven't been drinking water.

My issue is, I am a student who, unfortantly is studying non stop.

It's kind of like that thing where, the studying never ends... you just do it till you need to sleep and hope it was enough.

I am honestly at "it" all day long.

From the moment I wake up and take a shower and leave for class within 30 minutes, till the hour before I go to bed. I usually only get 4-6 hours of sleep, unless my body "pushes" for more. I try to get 8 on the weekends though.

Since I am at "it" for 14+ hours a day, the 3-4 hour window in each dose of 20mg kind of leaves me with times of 'problems' and times of 'feeling good'.

My doctor (psychiatrist) told me straight up without me even asking about it, that I can adjust how I take the medication, just to make sure I do not take more than 60mg a day, and try to keep an average of about 40mg/day 5 out of 7 days (so I have "vacations"). (ie, he told me on test days it's fine to take 30mg twice over a 6 hour window to "study" before the test, and be up for the test there after).

He told me to just take half a tab so I end up taking 50mg that day, when the second dose starts to wear off for a "boost".

What I am considering asking him is if it is acceptable to switch from 2 X 20mg to 4 X 10mg / day.

The only thing that comes to mind is that will increase the likelihood of developing tolerance.

Has anybody had any experience with something like that?

I started with 10mg and it still has an effect on me, but i quickly build up tolerance and the effects become kind of unseen.

Is it a bad idea to take adderall 4 times over 12-16 hours...

I'm not even sure I need that, maybe just 3 doses. just the 6-8 hour window I get now leaves me empty for a long portion of the day.

Should I ask my doctor about this or is it a silly move? I assume tolerance will build up quickly using this method yeah?
Old 03-29-11, 03:37 PM

thai-nitty is on a distinguished road
Re: Adjusting adderall dosage, should I ask the doctor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfox123 View Post
My issue is, I am a student who, unfortantly is studying non stop.
Is it a bad idea to take adderall 4 times over 12-16 hours...
I can relate on pretty much all accounts. During my Adderall progression I was in grad school and worked a full-time job. Over a period several months my psych and I adjusted my meds rather frequently. Like you, I was told to 'experiment' and see what worked best. I tried: 20mg XR 2X daily...20mg XR 3X daily...30mg XR 2X daily...etc. We ultimately settled on 30mg XR in am (for work) and 30mg IR in pm (for school). I occasionally took weekends off.

Bottom line in that you need to do whatever works best for you. Is it a bad idea to take Adderall 4X over 12-16hrs?...that's partly for you to determine. If you feel as though this could possibly be the optimal strategy, then by all means propose it to your psych or doc and take it from there. Don't feel timid about asking questions to your physician, that's what they're there for
Old 03-29-11, 08:43 PM

gimmeabreak has a spectacular aura aboutgimmeabreak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfox123 View Post
My doctor (psychiatrist) told me straight up without me even asking about it, that I can adjust how I take the medication, just to make sure I do not take more than 60mg a day, and try to keep an average of about 40mg/day 5 out of 7 days (so I have "vacations"). (ie, he told me on test days it's fine to take 30mg twice over a 6 hour window to "study" before the test, and be up for the test there after).

He told me to just take half a tab so I end up taking 50mg that day, when the second dose starts to wear off for a "boost".

What I am considering asking him is if it is acceptable to switch from 2 X 20mg to 4 X 10mg / day.

The only thing that comes to mind is that will increase the likelihood of developing tolerance.
If your doctor told you straight up you can take up to 60mg a day, and said you can break your pills in half then why would you want to take 4 X 10mg? That would be more expensive, I assume.

I can't tell you that its okay or not to take an additional dose for studying, but tolerance will be an issue. Although there's no scientific dosage to tolerance conversion formula (Too bad Jester ain't here to prove me wrong), increasing your dosage will increase tolerance even with 2 day holidays. Basically after getting used to 60mg, you'll eventually feel 40mg is ineffective. You may think 60mg is okay here and there, but just be warn Adderall dosage should not be played with unless absolutely necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to gimmeabreak For This Useful Post:
thai-nitty (03-29-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-11, 09:25 PM

thai-nitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmeabreak View Post
If your doctor told you straight up you can take up to 60mg a day, and said you can break your pills in half then why would you want to take 4 X 10mg? That would be more expensive, I assume.

I can't tell you that its okay or not to take an additional dose for studying, but tolerance will be an issue. Although there's no scientific dosage to tolerance conversion formula (Too bad Jester ain't here to prove me wrong), increasing your dosage will increase tolerance even with 2 day holidays. Basically after getting used to 60mg, you'll eventually feel 40mg is ineffective. You may think 60mg is okay here and there, but just be warn Adderall dosage should not be played with unless absolutely necessary.
I must have skimmed over that little tid-bit: already alloted (2) 20mg tabs, which can be broken in half, yielding essentially (4) 10mg tabs, which it appears is the desired result...problem solved!

gimmeabreak and I may be possibly misinterpreting something, but you seem like your all set from what I see. And yes, I'd have to agree that an actual script for 4X 10mg would be more $. From my experience, prescription costs are usually based on quantity not potency.
The Following User Says Thank You to thai-nitty For This Useful Post:
gimmeabreak (03-29-11)
Old 03-29-11, 10:25 PM
Jr Member

armywife3409 is on a distinguished road

I know the OP asked if taking 4 doses a day was going to cause a problem, and I have to just say, I take 4 doses a day, almost every day, it hasn't been a problem for me. I do have a high dose, but taking one big dose made me crash horribly, and have anxiety attacks, so I'd much rather do it in smaller, spread out doses. Some days I don't take them all, some days I do... its nice to have that kind of freedom.