ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-30-11, 07:59 AM
Contributor

sbcy has a spectacular aura aboutsbcy has a spectacular aura about
Why doesn't adderall keep working for me?

I have been prescribed adderall xr and ir several times over the past few years; always with similar results. I take the medication, the first time is usually amazing, I can pay attention, the words pop off the page, I can follow complex conversation with ease-my dreams have come true! The 2nd time is often pretty good as well but by the 3rd or 4th day adderall seems to be noticeably less effective, so my dose is bumped up eventually. Again it helps, but not as good as the 1st two days. So I take the bumped up dose a few more days and it seems to not be doing anything so it's bumped up further, etc. The process goes on. I was at one point on 40mg of generic Adderall IR and couldn't notice any help from it.

What is going on? I just want to pay attention, I'm not trying to get some sort of high off this. I have tried almost every ADD drug and Adderall is the only one that has ever really given me any hope but I seem to build up a tolerance so quickly and if I take a lot of Adderall it makes it impossible to eat.

Few other meds tried:
Strattera, concerta, ritalin, focalin (currently taking), vyvanse, prozac, pristiq, abilify (horrible!), lamictal (currently taking), lithium,
Old 03-30-11, 10:53 AM

corbykins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why doesn't adderall keep working for me?

thats interesting, ive built up a tolerance to adderall but its taken me years, i tend to be very sensitive to drugs though. sorry i dont really have any advice ive only really had experience with adderall xr.
my only thought is that it could be when you take it the first time you really feel it working and after that initial dose you just dont feel it kick in as much so you dont feel like its working even though it could still be working you just dont notice. idk if thats whats going on, but thats my best guess right now. although i would expect with the ir you would feel it working more so than with the xr so that wouldnt make much sense but again its just a guess.
Old 03-30-11, 02:39 PM

gimmeabreak has a spectacular aura aboutgimmeabreak has a spectacular aura about

Well compare the days with Adderall against the days without it. If you take adderall and get used to it in two weeks, then go maybe two weeks without, compare the differences. Adderall is not meant to give you "superman" effects. The only difference you should notice is that your somewhat more motivated, attentive, less impulsive. Adderall is not going to work by itself, you need to have the discipline to push yourself too.
The Following User Says Thank You to gimmeabreak For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-31-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-11, 03:00 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,242 Times in 699 Posts
Offle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to all

It could be because you aren't getting the Adderall euphoria after the first couple of days so it feels less effective. For a lot of people, the first time they take adderall it can feel like they've reached enlightenment/become superman. But that effect goes away after the first few times and it can make you feel like the adderall is less effective even though it's not.

It's like Gimmeabreak said, adderall won't make you superman, it will make you more like everyone else. You'll be able to focus better, you'll be a bit more motivated, and all that jazz, but you still have to have some will power to get things done.

Adderall can feel amazing the first time, but don't expect every time to feel as amazing and don't try to make it. Chasing that euphoria is dangerous.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
-- Vincent Van Gogh
The Following User Says Thank You to Offle For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-31-11)
Old 03-30-11, 03:44 PM

gimmeabreak has a spectacular aura aboutgimmeabreak has a spectacular aura about

I also just noticed you are currently taking Lamictal. Lamictal is a scary drug, and don't understand why its on the market. I'm sure you're aware of the potentially fatal toxic epidermal necrolysis, aka Lamictal Rash.

All I can tell you is Lamictal will counteract Adderall. I'm sure you're receiving some benefits of Adderall, but nowhere close as without it.

You'll have to ask your psychiatrist about either reducing or replacing Lamictal if you want better effects with Adderall, and you'll have to decide for yourself.
Old 03-30-11, 05:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by scby
Few other meds tried:
Strattera, concerta, ritalin, focalin (currently taking), vyvanse, prozac, pristiq, abilify (horrible!), lamictal (currently taking), lithium

I have never tried the methylphenidate class of stimulants (concerta, ritalin, focalin).

Strattera made ejaculating painful.

Vyvanse is a governmental conspiracy on the effectiveness of stimulants in outer space.

Never taken (prozac, pristiq, or abilify). I bet they were horrible. no doubt.

Tried lamictal once, but I was not taking any stimulants. It is a scary drug as "gimmeabreak" describes.

Lithium ---- never tried it, and I never will try it.

You will feel good the first couple of days on Adderall IR or XR. Then that feeling i.e. (Euphoria) will diminish overtime leaving you to believe that the medication is not working anymore.

I don't know your history with ADD. But according to your statistics in this thread that you posted it is your "first" time.

I have been taking stimulants for 4 years. I started with Adderall 10mg XR, then Adderall 20mg XR, then to Adderall 25mg XR, back down to Adderall 20mg XR in addition to a booster of Adderall 10mg IR. I stayed at Adderall 20mg XR for a couple of years while increasing my booster from 10mg to 12.5mg to 15mg. Oscillated between the boosters for several months and before I knew it.......

2 years had passed and I was chasing that indescribable warming sensation that I had felt on DAY 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scby
What is going on? I just want to pay attention, I'm not trying to get some sort of high off this. I have tried almost every ADD drug and Adderall is the only one that has ever really given me any hope but I seem to build up a tolerance so quickly and if I take a lot of Adderall it makes it impossible to eat.
I believe you when you say that it isn't the high your looking for. You REALLY are looking for relief of your symptoms.

Try these stimulants..... DEXEDRINE or DESOXYN

Your odds of being prescribed them are probably ZERO

Good Luck! Keep us informed
Old 03-30-11, 09:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,689 Times in 3,420 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmeabreak View Post
I also just noticed you are currently taking Lamictal. Lamictal is a scary drug, and don't understand why its on the market. I'm sure you're aware of the potentially fatal toxic epidermal necrolysis, aka Lamictal Rash.

All I can tell you is Lamictal will counteract Adderall. I'm sure you're receiving some benefits of Adderall, but nowhere close as without it.

You'll have to ask your psychiatrist about either reducing or replacing Lamictal if you want better effects with Adderall, and you'll have to decide for yourself.
whats scary about lamictal?

that rash occurs in 1 in 10,000 people , most under 16 and most not titrated properly

and lamictal doesn't counteract adderall , it works on glutamate , completely different
Old 03-30-11, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
whats scary about lamictal?

that rash occurs in 1 in 10,000 people , most under 16 and most not titrated properly

and lamictal doesn't counteract adderall , it works on glutamate , completely different
Lamictal also lowers immune response. My experience with Lamictal after two weeks of 50mg was malaise, sores developing in between my gums and mouth, itchyness, and infections of minor cuts.

I think your 1:10000 odds are wrong. http://www.lamictalsideeffects.org/ states kids have 0.8% (1:125) and adults 0.3% (1:333) risk. Grant it the site may be biased, like http://www.adderall.net/. I understand your sarcasmic defense, but sources are always good when stating statistics.

The inhibition of glutamate, the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter, will inhibit the effects of Adderall since stimulation of the brain relies on increased glutamate action.

Although I could not find any interactions from scholarly sources, many other forums googled had people complaining about Lamictal inhibiting Adderall's effects.
Old 03-31-11, 12:35 AM

Menna has a spectacular aura aboutMenna has a spectacular aura about

My take on Adderall:

I take 25mg XR in the morning. From 8 to 11 am I feel like superman. I am amazingly productive.

For the rest of the day, I feel normal - as in I don't feel plagued by ADD like i have for my whole life.

Self control seems to be the biggie for me - If I want to produce more in the afternoon - take another Adderall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Menna For This Useful Post:
buddy (03-31-11)
Old 03-31-11, 11:08 AM

corbykins is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinch42085 View Post

Good Luck! Keep us informed
just out of curiosity why do you say that the odds of being prescribed dexedrine or desoxyn is probably zero?
i was prescribed dexedrine at one point along with my adderall xr but it didnt work for me.
Old 03-31-11, 01:39 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lamictal also lowers immune response. My experience with Lamictal after two weeks of 50mg was malaise, sores developing in between my gums and mouth, itchyness, and infections of minor cuts.

I think your 1:10000 odds are wrong. http://www.lamictalsideeffects.org/ states kids have 0.8% (1:125) and adults 0.3% (1:333) risk. Grant it the site may be biased, like http://www.adderall.net/. I understand your sarcasmic defense, but sources are always good when stating statistics.

The inhibition of glutamate, the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter, will inhibit the effects of Adderall since stimulation of the brain relies on increased glutamate action.

Although I could not find any interactions from scholarly sources, many other forums googled had people complaining about Lamictal inhibiting Adderall's effects.

this was the source i read http://www.psycheducation.org/depres...ds/LamRash.htm

im sorry about all those side effects you had , those are extremely rare

lamictal helps a lot of people with no side effects(including me , 300mg daily)

adderal had the same effect on me before and after

some people just need more than stimulants
Old 03-31-11, 01:46 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19540298

and here is one saying .08 percent developed a serious rash, but 0 developed the life threating ones
Old 03-31-11, 02:39 PM

Mister Marcinko has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Sbcy, just out of curiosity how does the focalin effect you? I'm on it as well an would like to compare my experiences with yours. Also how would u consort it to Ritalin? Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Marcinko For This Useful Post:
fatality (03-31-11)
Old 03-31-11, 10:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

fatality is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Marcinko View Post
Sbcy, just out of curiosity how does the focalin effect you? I'm on it as well an would like to compare my experiences with yours. Also how would u consort it to Ritalin? Thanks
I'm also looking into focalin as well. dexmethylphenidate I believe is the isomer or active component of the medication, so I'm guessing it has dexamphetamine and methylphenidate in it? I'm not sure, but I've heard that focalin has less side effects than ritalin. IDK... Too many medications - tired of being a pill gerbil
Old 09-11-11, 03:51 AM
Contributor

sbcy has a spectacular aura aboutsbcy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Well compare the days with Adderall against the days without it. If you take adderall and get used to it in two weeks, then go maybe two weeks without, compare the differences. Adderall is not meant to give you "superman" effects. The only difference you should notice is that your somewhat more motivated, attentive, less impulsive. Adderall is not going to work by itself, you need to have the discipline to push yourself too.
My problem, isn't really motivation, it's focus. When I was in high school I would spend 8+ hours sitting there working on homework every day after school because it took me so long to process things. The way I usually compare Adderall vs non Adderall is how difficult is to read and have conversation because that's where I have the most problems. Recently when I started Adderall XR, it didn't help with focus, sure it gave a euphoria the first time but that didn't help with my focus really...it just kept me stuck on the task-more obsessive if you will. I'm already obsessive and persistent-I don't have issues with keeping at something...just the ability to process things efficiently. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Folks, as I mentioned in my posting, Lamictal is one of the medications I have TRIED...not currently on. And yes, I did read about the rash issues before taking, I was fortunate not to experience any side effects but did not experience any good effects either. All I was taking was Lamictal at the time.

Quote:

I was prescribed dexedrine but it didn't seem to help, just more obsessive-not clear headed. I also couldn't go a hold of the name brand? Apparently it's discontinued and only the generic is available. Generic amphetamines tend to be crap. Especially TEVA brand. Never get Teva Adderall, it's horrible and should be taken off the market.

I didn't know about desoxyn until a few days ago...no doctors ever mentioned it and I haven't read many people taking it. Some time down the road I'll probably try it. My psych has never refused prescribing a med I've suggested..including Dexedrine.

Quote:
Focalin gave a very similar feeling to ritalin. It made me want to work but I wasn't anymore clear headed. Just a "high" if you will or nothing at all. If ritalin works for you, Focalin probably will too.

Last edited by sbcy; 09-11-11 at 04:07 AM..