ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-31-11, 03:44 PM

laurenr22 is on a distinguished road
Finding the right dosage of Adderall XR?

I was diagnosed with ADD a couple of years ago and the first doctor I saw put me on Vyvanse which gave me extreme migraines and a bunch of other problems. Despite those side effects I remember the medicine working. I ended up losing my insurance so I couldn't afford the medicine anymore so I stopped taking it for about a year. I recently went to a new doctor to try a different medication and she put me on 20mg of Adderall XR, which I take once a day. The first week I could tell I just needed time to adjust, I felt it in my system but it wasn't working. Then the second week I was on it I felt great, I was able to focus and get my school work done. Now I am starting to feel like it isn't working the same as it was the 2nd week. For the past few days I've just felt a little shaky, and I don't feel like I can focus anymore, it almost feels like I am back where I was during week one. I have another week before I go back to talk to the dr again and get another perscription but I am wondering if that is normal, like if my body just needs more time to adjust or if I need to ask about getting a higher dosage? Advice??
Old 03-31-11, 04:17 PM

jd-in-nh-ADHDer will become famous soon enough
Re: Finding the right dosage of Adderall XR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr22 View Post
I was diagnosed with ADD a couple of years ago and the first doctor I saw put me on Vyvanse which gave me extreme migraines and a bunch of other problems. Despite those side effects I remember the medicine working. I ended up losing my insurance so I couldn't afford the medicine anymore so I stopped taking it for about a year. I recently went to a new doctor to try a different medication and she put me on 20mg of Adderall XR, which I take once a day. The first week I could tell I just needed time to adjust, I felt it in my system but it wasn't working. Then the second week I was on it I felt great, I was able to focus and get my school work done. Now I am starting to feel like it isn't working the same as it was the 2nd week. For the past few days I've just felt a little shaky, and I don't feel like I can focus anymore, it almost feels like I am back where I was during week one. I have another week before I go back to talk to the dr again and get another perscription but I am wondering if that is normal, like if my body just needs more time to adjust or if I need to ask about getting a higher dosage? Advice??
Maybe you just need to give it more time. As for me I started on 20mg adderall xr once a day then found it wasn't getting me though the whole day so my dr added a 10mg ir, and that seems to work for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to jd-in-nh-ADHDer For This Useful Post:
laurenr22 (03-31-11)
Old 03-31-11, 07:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Finding the right dosage of Adderall XR?

Some people strike gold on day one and can stick to whatever dose for a long time. Most people have to go through a titration period. Can usually take several visits to your doctor. The majority of adults taking Adderall XR tend to fall in the 40-60mg per day range. It takes a lot of time to find a good match for you, just hang in there.
Sponsored Links