ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-11, 07:29 PM

dancinonwater has a spectacular aura aboutdancinonwater has a spectacular aura about
Just told I may have slight Aspergers?

I went back to my Psychiatrist on Wednesday to talk about starting Stratera, as Adderall and Concerta didn't work, and we got talking about how much I hate changes of plans and overreact and that kind of thing, and she told me that she thinks I may have a bit of Aspergers. I've always sort of known this, but a real diagnosis is a lot scarrier than a self diagnosis! I am really smart (i know, it's an aspie trait), and although a lot of people think i'm "wierd", i don't think anyone (besides my parents) really would think i have aspergers, although I guess most people wouldnt think that anyway. So, I just need some support... I mean, this is really new to me and kind of scary. Is there any advice of info someone could give me? Also, is it likely to have ADHD and Aspergers? My Aspergers isn't that bad, but it's definately there. Also, is ADHD on the spectrum, because I know that many geniouses were said to have ADHD, and also some were said to have Aspergers or Autism, so i thought that maybe ADHD is on the spectrum.

thanks so much in advance!

P.S. I have some OCDish symptoms, could this possibly be caused by Aspergers (or maybe even ADHD), or could i have some slight OCD as well?
Old 04-01-11, 07:47 PM

dancinonwater has a spectacular aura aboutdancinonwater has a spectacular aura about
Re: Just told I may have slight Aspergers?

Oh, I forgot to say, do you think Straterra would still help even if i have Aspergers? Sorry, I'm trying to watch TV while I type, and as you can assume from me being on this forum, that wasn't working out so well! lol
Old 04-01-11, 07:55 PM
Contributor

Spikey 723 is just really niceSpikey 723 is just really niceSpikey 723 is just really niceSpikey 723 is just really nice

You can have both aspergers and adhd.

And if you do, adhd meds might work for you on the adhd symptoms.

I take ritalin, and it helps with my focus and concentration.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-11, 08:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think ADHD is on the spectrum. It can be co-morbid. Being on the autistic spectrum doesn't mean someone is smart it means they fit the diagnostic criteria. I'm sorry but I'm sick of the whole Asperger's people are geniuses thing and I'm in an extremely bad mood today, so I apologise for my assholeness.

ADHD medication can help with your ADHD symptoms but I also find it makes me less obsessional. So it does help with some autistic symptoms too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (04-02-11), Scooter77 (04-04-11), Spikey 723 (04-01-11), Trooper Keith (04-02-11)
Old 04-01-11, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
I don't think ADHD is on the spectrum. It can be co-morbid. Being on the autistic spectrum doesn't mean someone is smart it means they fit the diagnostic criteria. I'm sorry but I'm sick of the whole Asperger's people are geniuses thing and I'm in an extremely bad mood today, so I apologise for my assholeness.

ADHD medication can help with your ADHD symptoms but I also find it makes me less obsessional. So it does help with some autistic symptoms too.
Haha yeah well I think it's not that aspie's are geniuses, more that most geniouses have aspergers. I think that having such good function in one part of the brain must make it more common to have some problems in another part, like how blind people have great hearing and sense of smell. And thanks for the meds info, I think I'm going to try strattera soon, so i'm excited, as i really think it might work! it would be amazing if it helped with the Aspergers symptoms, but i'm not gonna get my hopes too high.
Old 04-02-11, 12:45 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinonwater View Post
I went back to my Psychiatrist on Wednesday to talk about starting Stratera, as Adderall and Concerta didn't work, and we got talking about how much I hate changes of plans and overreact and that kind of thing, and she told me that she thinks I may have a bit of Aspergers.
This is the problem with the whole Asperger's thing. "slight Asperger's" is diagnostic code for "a little socially awkward." Either you can understand that other people are people with feelings other than your own, or you can't. Autism is a very clear difference from "neurotypicals," defined by an inability to comprehend other people as people.

Quote:
I've always sort of known this, but a real diagnosis is a lot scarrier than a self diagnosis! I am really smart (i know, it's an aspie trait),
It is not.

Quote:
P.S. I have some OCDish symptoms, could this possibly be caused by Aspergers (or maybe even ADHD), or could i have some slight OCD as well?
I'm going to have a stroke. No, you're probably just a little neurotic and socially inhibited. That seems much more realistic than having "slight OCD and a little bit of Asperger's." Diagnoses aren't spices. You don't get a dash here and a smidge there.

Last edited by Bluerose; 04-03-11 at 07:30 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper Keith For This Useful Post:
Spikey 723 (04-02-11)
Old 04-02-11, 01:03 AM

I'm not saying that i just have a little as in like a few traits, I mean like it's not very severe. Gosh....

Last edited by Bluerose; 04-03-11 at 07:31 AM..
Old 04-02-11, 06:56 AM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that having such good function in one part of the brain must make it more common to have some problems in another part, like how blind people have great hearing and sense of smell.
Blind people have great hearing and sense of smell because their brain map reorganises itself. I think I read somewhere that the auditory part takes over for the dysfunctional visual part. I need to re-read that chapter again.
My theory is that the autistic brain isn't as plastic but I need more evidence to back up that claim.

I'm critical on the whole mild Asperger's thing too. I also fail to see how one can have AS mild and ADHD severe. It could just be me. I have moderate to high functioning autism and ADHD that isn't as impairing but still enough to need to be medicated. Still ADHD seems more of an attentional issue and autism a sensory, communication/ relating to others and language issue. And at times a motor issue. There's a whole lot more of a dysfunction in the autistic brain than the ADHD one. I'm talking about autism as a whole here, not just AS.

I don't think it is most geniuses have Asperger's but to have Asperger's you need an IQ that is not in the mental retardation range and most doctor's diagnose those with high IQ's with it. It's a stereotype. I also think that maybe people with AS can become more knowledgeable because they have more time to (because of very poor social skills) and the way the autistic brain works is to only be focused on one thing at a time. So you can be a genius who is greatly impaired in other areas. If you are a genius who isn't really that impaired you would more fit the gifted profile.
Old 04-02-11, 11:21 AM

Thanked 11,102 Times in 5,421 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

i think youre autistic or your not

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11411788
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
Trooper Keith (04-03-11)
Old 04-02-11, 12:04 PM

corbykins is an unknown quantity at this point

I was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type and Aspergers. i have been on a stimulant for many years and it has worked really well at relieving some of the ADHD symptoms. i dont think its all that common to have both but im not sure cause so many of the symptoms overlap or are very similar to the point where its hard to tell if its one or the other.
ADHD is not on the spectrum as far as i am aware.
Old 04-02-11, 01:55 PM

Thanked 25,044 Times in 11,632 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

It's called a "spectrum disorder", remember?

That means that some cases are quite severe while others ... aren't.

You can have a dash of one disorder and a smidge of another one, that's called "cormorbid disorders."

Quote:
I went back to my Psychiatrist on Wednesday to talk about starting Stratera, as Adderall and Concerta didn't work, and we got talking about how much I hate changes of plans and overreact and that kind of thing, and she told me that she thinks I may have a bit of Aspergers. I've always sort of known this, but a real diagnosis is a lot scarrier than a self diagnosis! I am really smart (i know, it's an aspie trait), and although a lot of people think i'm "wierd", i don't think anyone (besides my parents) really would think i have aspergers, although I guess most people wouldnt think that anyway. So, I just need some support... I mean, this is really new to me and kind of scary. Is there any advice of info someone could give me? Also, is it likely to have ADHD and Aspergers? My Aspergers isn't that bad, but it's definately there. Also, is ADHD on the spectrum, because I know that many geniouses were said to have ADHD, and also some were said to have Aspergers or Autism, so i thought that maybe ADHD is on the spectrum.

thanks so much in advance!

Some researchers are actually looking into the possiblity that ADHD and Autism are more closely related than previously thought, in other words, the "spectrum" might be even wider and more inclusive.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me

Last edited by Bluerose; 04-03-11 at 07:33 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Amtram (04-03-11), dancinonwater (04-02-11), Jr1985 (04-02-11), Scooter77 (04-04-11), Spikey 723 (04-02-11)
Old 04-02-11, 02:01 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbykins View Post
I was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type and Aspergers. i have been on a stimulant for many years and it has worked really well at relieving some of the ADHD symptoms. i dont think its all that common to have both but im not sure cause so many of the symptoms overlap or are very similar to the point where its hard to tell if its one or the other.
ADHD is not on the spectrum as far as i am aware.
Well, not a lot of people with ADHD have Asperger's as well, but quite a lot of people with Asperger's also have ADHD. Was looking for a link with more specifics, I know I've seen that info, but can't find it at the moment.

That overlap may be the reason researchers are looking at whether it's all one very large spectrum - possibly including Bipolar. At one time it was thought that each disorder affected (or was affected by) a different part of the brain. But the more research they do, including PET scans and the like, the more parts of the brain they are are affected in people with ADHD. It's not just the frontal lobe as was once believed.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Jr1985 (04-02-11), Scooter77 (04-04-11), Spikey 723 (04-02-11)
Old 04-02-11, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
It's called a "spectrum disorder", remember?

That means that some cases are quite severe while others ... aren't.

You can have a dash of one disorder and a smidge of another one, that's called "cormorbid disorders."

Some researchers are actually looking into the possiblity that ADHD and Autism are more closely related than previously thought, in other words, the "spectrum" might be even wider and more inclusive.
It's funny you say the whole spectrum thing... like how it is a SPECTRUM, so there are extremes and people in the middle. I was just thinking that i should have mentioned this point in my last post while i was at dance class! Anyway, yeah I think that there is a good chance that the spectrum is wider than we originally thought, but i dont know obviously... anyway, thanks for making that point, I've asked questions about this other places on the internet, and people were always like, you can't have mild aspergers, one person even said, "it's like a light switch, on or off." Do they not understand the whole SPECTRUM thing? haha oh well... people will never understand most things like that, even when the answers are right in front of them.

anyway, thanks for your post!

Last edited by Bluerose; 04-03-11 at 07:34 AM..
Old 04-02-11, 05:25 PM

Quote:
It's funny you say the whole spectrum thing... like how it is a SPECTRUM, so there are extremes and people in the middle. I was just thinking that i should have mentioned this point in my last post while i was at dance class! Anyway, yeah I think that there is a good chance that the spectrum is wider than we originally thought, but i dont know obviously... anyway, thanks for making that point, I've asked questions about this other places on the internet, and people were always like, you can't have mild aspergers, one person even said, "it's like a light switch, on or off." Do they not understand the whole SPECTRUM thing? haha oh well... people will never understand most things like that, even when the answers are right in front of them.

anyway, thanks for your post!
I'm sure that some people consider Autism to be the general spectrum with different extremes within it, and that Asperger's is just one example on the spectrum. And that's right as far as it goes.

But within Asperger's I'm sure there are some who are more disabled by the disorder than others - and the symptoms can wax and wane in each person differently over time. Learning coping skills or taking meds could make it look like you have a milder version, and stress or cormorbid conditions could make it look more severe.

I'm not saying that I have a complete understanding of Autism by any means. Just drawing some logical (to me) conclusions from what I have learned.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Jr1985 (04-02-11), Scooter77 (04-04-11)
Old 04-02-11, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jr1985 has a spectacular aura aboutJr1985 has a spectacular aura about

Indeed, it's a spectrum.

People consider my AS to be "mild", yet when I attend my social support group, it's usually me who's standing in the corner by themselves, while the other aspies chat amongst themselves. I think people confuse "less obvious" for "mild", which aren't really the same thing. For instance, some people I've met have had really obvious AS (monotone voice, odd gait, etc), yet are more capable of speaking in group situations than me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jr1985 For This Useful Post:
Spikey 723 (04-02-11)